Northern New England Pkg Drivers & Feeders...Mandated Lunches??

Do You Take A Full Lunch at the Correct Time Everyday?

• Yea

Votes: 21 77.8%
  • Ney

Votes: 6 22.2%

• Total voters

Coldworld

60 months and counting
This is simple in my eyes........unions fought and continue to fight for vacation,sick days,paid holidays,overtime pay and lunch for employees......companies fight to take those things away from us......any of the things that you give up on your own is depressing.....and what's more depressing is that people who work through lunch don't even understand how bad it is
But it's the same guys who when you ask them how they got the route done so fast they swear they took a full lunch and breaks... Even though they worked through the damn things...

Coldworld

60 months and counting
WBWDFU, I'm not feeling that not taking a lunch is going to jeopardize the union fighting for other benefits and again if you want to take your lunch by all means do so. I highly agree that running your lunch is extremely depressing however this goes on in every center on a daily basis. Guys/Gals that run their lunch and don't care about the financial aspect skew the numbers which in most situations will make them look great on paper. Some view it as a win/win if money is not an issue. The company loves these folks.
Sleeve_meet_heart, Well said. Agree wholeheartedly.
GD, I've yet to see that theory work here. I know many who would disagree with you vehemently. This is a big reason why so many simply would rather not take a lunch.
NXA, It is my understanding that DOT 30 requirement only applies to the feeder drivers. They skirt around it by combining their 2-10 minute paid breaks with a 10 minute lunch to fulfill their obligation.
WL, It is called the New England Supplemental Agreement. It includes: Maine,NH,VT,Mass,Conn & RI. Hope that answers your question.
This is why all Diads across the country should go off for a certain amount of time .....no more fooling around .. They you can take your breaks wherever in the day you would like them...if the runners still want to work and deliver packages during that time fire em...if they are idiots enough to sort the truck at lunch then fine but the truck isn't moving... Period. Why doesnt anyone think ups would do this nationwide??? It kicks them in the sack!

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

The Lunch Language should be changed to you are ALLOWED up to 60 minutes not that you are REQUIRED to take 60 minutes.
Ups would love that language changed....it's probably one of the top things ups wants at contract time along with less vacation time,less holidays,less sick days and no 9.5 language this way they can eliminate jobs......what would you want in return from ups being you would be giving them something big like that

By The Book

Just throwing this out there.....what if state law says the employer shall allow the employee 1 hour of uninterrupted time for a meal period. The contract in that state says an employee shall be allowed 1 hour for their uninterrupted meal period. Isn't the intent of the contract language to be in compliance with state law?, not that the employee has a choice when they read the word allow.
What I'm failing to understand is how our contract language trumps federal law?
Contracts can have superior language than what is your state law or federal law. The contracts just can't have language that doesn't meet state law requirements.

Browntown2014

Ups would love that language changed....it's probably one of the top things ups wants at contract time along with less vacation time,less holidays,less sick days and no 9.5 language this way they can eliminate jobs......what would you want in return from ups being you would be giving them something big like that

Why would ups want to change language that gives them drivers working for free on their supposed lunch break? The language should give us the option to take up to an hour not that you have to take a whole hour.

Whatbrownwontdoforyou

Why would ups want to change language that gives them drivers working for free on their supposed lunch break? The language should give us the option to take up to an hour not that you have to take a whole hour.
It's illegal for the employer of people getting paid per hour to let employees work without getting paid also it's against the contract paid for time........if that were ok....ups would put 300 stops on trucks and say drivers can only work 8 hours and the rest of the work is on drivers time unpaid

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I'm pulling for this new language...
"All full time employees must be FORCED to take an uninterrupted 60 min lunch starting between the 4th and 5th hour. At this time the Diad will be locked out. Refusing to take a lunch will result in discipline and abolishment from the teamsters union because not taking a lunch hurts your fellow brothers because you are a runner scab ass."
Kinda catchy?

MrBrown

I'm with others that feel an hour is way too long. Like today, gonna hit near 90 for the first time this year. So I'm supposed to bake in a pkg car for an hour not getting paid? I can't break trace to find somewhere cool. Whether you think it's scabby or not, I take 2 10's and a 10 min lunch. That's a half an hour, I don't need more than that. They don't take the other 50 and if it's the difference between punching out a 6 or 650 that's not hurting anyone's job outlook. So much for semantics, my question is this. How do we get it into the contract that we get a half hour lunch. From talking to people all have stated an hour is too long. And if they ever do force an hour down my throat I'll be taking that hour this peak as well. Good for the goose is good for the gander. I'm not into union politics but would love to see this change.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
I'm pulling for this new language...
"All full time employees must be FORCED to take an uninterrupted 60 min lunch starting between the 4th and 5th hour. At this time the Diad will be locked out. Refusing to take a lunch will result in discipline and abolishment from the teamsters union because not taking a lunch hurts your fellow brothers because you are a runner scab ass."
Kinda catchy?
We have 30 minutes for lunch. I would decapitate myself on the bulkhead door if I had to waste an hour doing nothing.

DOK

Putting out a litmus test on mandated lunches being crammed down our throats. Would love to hear any/all stories concerning lunches especially ones claiming disciplinary action including any panel stories if they exist. I am hearing rumors and am trying to differentiate between fact and fiction. No lunch taken for years here. Trying to keep it that way. Thanks in Advance.:-)
Coming to a center near you I guess, we can take as little as we want or as much as we want up to an hour.

Gimme Danger

tmp_24843-FB_IMG_14652215254151442210246.jpg

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
I'm with others that feel an hour is way too long. Like today, gonna hit near 90 for the first time this year. So I'm supposed to bake in a pkg car for an hour not getting paid? I can't break trace to find somewhere cool.

Why do you think.... you can't "break trace" to take a lunch ?

-Bug-