Not Drinking Enough water!!!

anonymous4

And this is the UPS standard? That is only half a gallon of water, not enough if you are doing physical activity.

For those not hydrating properly, I suggest filling up a gallon jug and making it a goal to finish it throughout the day. I think you'd be amused by how much better you feel.

menotyou

bella amicizia

Johney

I notice I pee a lot less when it's hot like it is now. I drink more, just also sweat more. Goes down the gullet and out the pores long before it get's to my stomach. :hot4:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Here are my thoughts. I am an adult. Somehow I managed to raise two great sons, have 6 happy healthy grandchildren. Outlive a brother and sister, who did most things by the book. I drink when Im thirsty, and I always have a drink handy. When I sweat alot I drink more. I have never had heat exhaustion, but I have had exhaustion, actually I have it every weekend, because we get driven too hard.
How about they treat us like adults, and learn to do their job.
Until they have a medical license I dont need health tips from them. I dont need to be shown how to stretch, told what to eat, what to drink, and when, or how much rest I need. or how to safely cross the street. Leave me alone I am an adult, and guess what, most of you could be my kids, so ................
maybe I should start sending them ODS messages throughout the day, about how to effectively manage people.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The on-car was correct in that you were not drinking enough water. Rather than refuse to sign the form why didn't you sign it and then at the bottom write a statement expressing your opinion on the benefits of Diet Pepsi over water.

Why does everything have to be a battle for you?

I refuse to sign those forms for the simple reason that they are unworthy of recognition. To participate is to validate. Its not a battle, its a matter of principle. I was doing this job when my current sup was in junior high school. I have more years of driving experience than he has weeks. I am not interested in his opinion about the adequacy of my water intake, or pretty much anything else for that matter.

soberups

Would you rather spend 30 years fighting a nearly daily battle or would you rather fight the battles that need fighting?

Refusing to sign a simple OJS which correctly stated that she didn't drink enough water during the day simply to keep the form out of her file is not a battle worth fighting. Sign the form and then write a statement of clarification at the bottom.

Why even bother signing anything at all?

They have a quota of reports that they are required to generate. My active participation in that process is not a job requirement. Its not like any of it even matters in the first place.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Why even bother signing anything at all?

They have a quota of reports that they are required to generate. My active participation in that process is not a job requirement. Its not like any of it even matters in the first place.

Your last line says it all.

I pick my battles very carefully---when I do decide to fight something they know that I am serious. Fight every stupid little thing and they don't take you seriously.

The on-car was correct in that you were not drinking enough water. Rather than refuse to sign the form why didn't you sign it and then at the bottom write a statement expressing your opinion on the benefits of Diet Pepsi over water.

Why does everything have to be a battle for you?

Some battle. Some surrender.

What'dyabringmetoday???

I pick my battles very carefully---when I do decide to fight something they know that I am serious. Fight every stupid little thing and they don't take you seriously.
Usually those that "pick their battles" start their discussion with management with something like, "Fine, I will take my lunch when I am supposed to today". Or, "I won't be using my cell phone today to help". Anyone else ever hear things like that?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I think we can all agree we need to hydrate. I think most of us can agree that we do not need to be told.

Seriously if UPS really cared about our health, especially in extreme heat, or cold, they could lower the dispatch at those times, and show us they are really concerned. But they do not say,
"we got a real killer temp wise out there today, we put in some extra routes to get you all in close to 8, its going to be tough on you, just remember to break in cool areas, take your little diad friend with you, and drink, drink drink. For those who dont know, try to stay away from caffeinated products. See you all about 530"
Now that I would respect. Not some guy judging what I drank and if it was enough. Unless hes also collecting my urine to see what is processing. And since hes not a urologist, I dont think he has the right to put anything on paper, about me, my intake or lack of.
I dont pick a lot of battles, this is just way off the chart. Show me your training on this subject, before you declare me being at fault.

soberups

I'm not fighting. There is no battle.

They dont even bother asking me to sign, because they know that I wont. Its not up for debate. They go through the motions of filling out meaningless reports, and I go through the motions of politely and respectfully pretending to listen when they read them to me. I know they are just doing their job, so I dont get mad or take any of it personally. It is what it is.

curiousbrain

[...] Until they have a medical license I dont need health tips from them. I dont need to be shown how to stretch, told what to eat, what to drink, and when, or how much rest I need. or how to safely cross the street. Leave me alone I am an adult, and guess what, most of you could be my kids, so ................
maybe I should start sending them ODS messages throughout the day, about how to effectively manage people.

I hate to be so cut and dry about it, but as long as you work for them, you are not really afforded that luxury, are you? You work as directed; the rules that result in drivers saying "I am following the methods" so they can avoid being beat over the head by SPC, SPM, yadda yadda, are the same rules that tell you how you are to run your route, function as a representative of UPS, and blah blah.

My point here is not to defend anyone, but rather to point out that you cannot pick and choose the rules you follow. You are either: a UPS driver who follows the rules and cannot be fired because the rules, methods, etc are written in stone; or, you are a UPS driver who chooses what seems "reasonable" (or however you decide to word it) and can be disciplined/fired for not following the rules.

bigblu 2 you

i drink what i want when i want it.if they supply water or gatorade i will take it with a thankfull attitude,and drink it when "I" feel the need.while pcm's are sometimes helpful, i feel as though they empower ups management to play doogie houser m.d.. i once had a mngr tell me i needed to see a doctor because i had to go to the restroom several times in one day{on the clock}.i told him to write me a referral and pay me for the visit...........still waiting.

soberups

I hate to be so cut and dry about it, but as long as you work for them, you are not really afforded that luxury, are you? You work as directed; the rules that result in drivers saying "I am following the methods" so they can avoid being beat over the head by SPC, SPM, yadda yadda, are the same rules that tell you how you are to run your route, function as a representative of UPS, and blah blah.

My point here is not to defend anyone, but rather to point out that you cannot pick and choose the rules you follow. You are either: a UPS driver who follows the rules and cannot be fired because the rules, methods, etc are written in stone; or, you are a UPS driver who chooses what seems "reasonable" (or however you decide to word it) and can be disciplined/fired for not following the rules.

Under the terms of the labor agreement, the company cannot arbitrarily change the conditions of employment without negotiating those changes first.

Failing (or refusing) to drink an arbitrary amount of water is not a suspendible or terminable offense under the language we currently have. If the company wishes to change this, than it needs to occur at the negotiating table.