Not Drinking Enough water!!!

curiousbrain

Under the terms of the labor agreement, the company cannot arbitrarily change the conditions of employment without negotiating those changes first.

Failing (or refusing) to drink an arbitrary amount of water is not a suspendible or terminable offense under the language we currently have. If the company wishes to change this, than it needs to occur at the negotiating table.

In some locals, yes, that holds water; in others, I've seen people walked out for less.

Although, I agree - hydration is a ... dubious offense, at best.

But, that being said, let's say a driver gets into an accident; maybe the company says he didn't hydrate properly. Now, maybe they look back at his safety paperwork, where he refused to sign/acknowledge proper hydration; maybe the driver wasn't hydrating (who could possibly know?), maybe he was dizzy because he wasn't hydrating ... maybe the driver doesn't have a job anymore. Although, to be fair, maybe the company is insane.

But, we've both seen crazier things.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I hate to be so cut and dry about it, but as long as you work for them, you are not really afforded that luxury, are you? You work as directed; the rules that result in drivers saying "I am following the methods" so they can avoid being beat over the head by SPC, SPM, yadda yadda, are the same rules that tell you how you are to run your route, function as a representative of UPS, and blah blah.

My point here is not to defend anyone, but rather to point out that you cannot pick and choose the rules you follow. You are either: a UPS driver who follows the rules and cannot be fired because the rules, methods, etc are written in stone; or, you are a UPS driver who chooses what seems "reasonable" (or however you decide to word it) and can be disciplined/fired for not following the rules.

Yeah, well I would have to respectfully disagree with you brownbaggin.
My supervisor has been trained in DOK, safety, and driver training, such as selection, methods, package car handling, diad training, etc. I follow the PAS, I wear my belt, I keep my door shut, I do everything they trained me to do. I have been forced to dress like a man, not wear anything for a holiday, such as a santa pin, or a snowflake. I am forced to wear clothes that dont fit and certainly dont accentuate any curves I have left. And I did, all for money and security, yes I am guilty. He was forced to learn all the little acronyms and so was I.

He has not been trained to be a professional who can tell me how much I need to drink at any one given time. If he were trained in bodily function, he would be a proctologist, or a urologist. And would gladly leave his position now at UPS, for that field for three fold the pay.
Since they have been proctologists for years, now they are trying to be urolgists. We let them get away with proctology, and look where it went.
Hydration is not a joke, trying to write us up for what they see as a lack, is. I dont battle, I just say, no I aint signing that. Now if I get heat stroke, then they might have a point, but I may have one too. Maybe I just had too much work, for the heat that day. Ive seen several younger drivers go down to heat. The last one is a great young driver, and he gets whatever ridiculous amount of stops they give him done, in record time. The guys covering that rt got 50 less, since hes been off. Im not one of them. So far so good.

curiousbrain

Yeah, well I would have to respectfully disagree with you brownbaggin.
My supervisor has been trained in DOK, safety, and driver training, such as selection, methods, package car handling, diad training, etc. I follow the PAS, I wear my belt, I keep my door shut, I do everything they trained me to do. I have been forced to dress like a man, not wear anything for a holiday, such as a santa pin, or a snowflake. I am forced to wear clothes that dont fit and certainly dont accentuate any curves I have left. And I did, all for money and security, yes I am guilty. He was forced to learn all the little acronyms and so was I.

He has not been trained to be a professional who can tell me how much I need to drink at any one given time. If he were trained in bodily function, he would be a proctologist, or a urologist. And would gladly leave his position now at UPS, for that field for three fold the pay.
Since they have been proctologists for years, now they are trying to be urolgists. We let them get away with proctology, and look where it went.
Hydration is not a joke, trying to write us up for what they see as a lack, is. I dont battle, I just say, no I aint signing that. Now if I get heat stroke, then they might have a point, but I may have one too. Maybe I just had too much work, for the heat that day. Ive seen several younger drivers go down to heat. The last one is a great young driver, and he gets whatever ridiculous amount of stops they give him done, in record time. The guys covering that rt got 50 less, since hes been off. Im not one of them. So far so good.

Is it a specific method to stay hydrated by drinking a specific amount of water, or not?

I don't pretend to know the answer to this; I am not a driver supervisor, and I am not a driver.

However, I do know, that if "XYZ" is a specific method, and you don't follow it, however trite it may be, if they want to use it against you, they will use it against it you. That's all I'm saying.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
And all I am saying is, we know our body, there can be overkill. A supervisor telling you it is not enough could ultimately cause your death.
Common sense.......if your urine is bright yellow, you could be getting in trouble, although many meds, including b12 supplements, can cause bright yellow urine. If you have been drinking lots and havent urinated and feel like you are swelling you could be ready for a heart attack.
Garbage in, garbage out. You have to watch, although its always important for healthy skin, bowel, and focus, to drink water, it is especially so in heat, but gatorade, and others that replenish the electrolytes and salt as well as water, are good.

Hyponatremia - What Is Hyponatremia - Water Intoxication

Im not picking this as a battle. Its just not something they are better at than me. They should focus on our windshields being clean so we can safely drive, etc, not this.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I don't want to harp on this anymore because, well ... I'm a PT soup and my reputation blows enough. But, I didn't notice an official UPS method in that link; so, while it may be valid to CNN and/or you or me, it doesn't necessarily hold weight for UPS.
PT sups are generally very smart. Dont discredit yourself, It cannot be an official UPS method, it is not trademarked as such. You can read and hear what you want, UPS does not always know best.

curiousbrain

PT sups are generally very smart. Dont discredit yourself, It cannot be an official UPS method, it is not trademarked as such. You can read and hear what you want, UPS does not always know best.

I agree, UPS does not always know best; but what UPS does do, is give me my paycheck and define the methods I follow while I work for them. Thus ....... if they tell me to do certain things that I disagree with, that are not overtly life threatening, then ... that is one price of employment as defined by the society/country we live in.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Well then you go with that, you will know when its too much. Ive got 28 in, so when I was in your shoes, and I used to be a pt sup preload for 6 yrs, it may have been different. We all find our straw that breaks the back. Good luck!!

curiousbrain

Well then you go with that, you will know when its too much. Ive got 28 in, so when I was in your shoes, and I used to be a pt sup preload for 6 yrs, it may have been different. We all find our straw that breaks the back. Good luck!!

I prefer not to rely on luck, but thank you, nonetheless.

And, likewise.

Johney

I don't want to harp on this anymore because, well ... I'm a PT soup and my reputation blows enough. But, I didn't notice an official UPS method in that link; so, while it may be valid to CNN and/or you or me, it doesn't necessarily hold weight for UPS.
So I guess if they(UPS) say to jump off a bridge we should do it? Sup. not soup.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I almost used that analogy johney...................it fits...................but I do understand brownbaggins point.

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
Last 2 drivers that have their yearly safety rides, have been wrote up for not drinking enough water!!!! If we are going to be forced to drink a certain amount of water,,,,, shouldn't to company be forced to supply the water!!! I'm all for getting a little frig put in the back of Big Brown!!!! I could drink water in the mornings and switch over to beer later in the afternoon!!! Kinda take the edge off of a hard day!!

Not new to my building, every single driver is told this on their safety ride.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
The on-car was correct in that you were not drinking enough water. Rather than refuse to sign the form why didn't you sign it and then at the bottom write a statement expressing your opinion on the benefits of Diet Pepsi over water.

Why does everything have to be a battle for you?

No one has a right to tell me when and where to drink anything. It's my body and no one elses.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Is it a specific method to stay hydrated by drinking a specific amount of water, or not?

I don't pretend to know the answer to this; I am not a driver supervisor, and I am not a driver.

However, I do know, that if "XYZ" is a specific method, and you don't follow it, however trite it may be, if they want to use it against you, they will use it against it you. That's all I'm saying.
Correct, but because "they" use it "against" YOU, that doesn't make it RIGHT.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
No one has a right to tell me when and where to drink anything. It's my body and no one elses.

its a CYA action by the company. This will protect them from BS lawsuits in case an employee suffers a heat related injury and claims he/she had NO idea he/she should Hydrate in the heat.