Not Runner Gunner But Don't Eat

mrbrownstone

You do realize that they can manipulate the numbers right? SPORH and over/under plan can be "tweaked"
You do realize that they will dispatch based on whether the cut driver that day usually skips his break, right?
You do realize the cut drivers that are slow (and don't skip break) are eventually left on "training" routes or not trained on/put on difficult routes to scratch, right?
You do realize they will eventually cut your dispatch back if you take your break everyday, right?

You are cheating your wife and your kids out of the money you are giving UPS.

Why do you let them manipulate you?
Do your best at a pace you can maintain for the next 30 years. Consider any attempt by management to make you run or falsify your break as an attack against your family. They have no right to pressure you to do so. Every person has the right to be treated with dignity and respect. I guarantee you are not that bad of a driver if you are scratching by burning break. By burning an hour you are probably saving 45-50 minutes because of fatigue from not taking break. We have had drivers that average 2-3 hours over every day...for years on end.

If you don't want the conflict just start taking 5 minutes more each month of the break you are coding off. In 1 year you will be taking all your break.

Out of all the good comments and advice on here. What you wrote hits home very well.

I like your idea of gradually increasing the break time as well.
Also for whatever the reason I never really viewed what I was doing ad cheating my woman and kids out of money but your right it is.

Thanks.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
i will meet my wife and son on my route during the summer on my meal. you could skype also if thats your thing.

El Correcto

god is dead
i enjoy my lunch too much to skip it. It's my one hour to sit there and do absolutely nothing productive. Drives them nuts. I'll usually get a message towards the end of the hour. They should be more honest during the 30 days and require you to take your personal time, then they wouldn't be pissed when you start to.

35years

Gravy route
Out of all the good comments and advice on here. What you wrote hits home very well.

I like your idea of gradually increasing the break time as well.
Also for whatever the reason I never really viewed what I was doing ad cheating my woman and kids out of money but your right it is.
Thanks.
Reminded me of an old thread here:
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/lunch-skippers.356164/
The total would be over $3 Million with current pay...

"So...

How much is that pat on the back worth, when you skip your lunch or set up your truck off the clock?

If you did not skip your lunch, and instead invested that $49.50 (1 hour) in overtime into your 401k in stocks, you might be surprised...

Over your career you are handing UPS nearly 3 million dollars !

You can see the number below. I assumed a conservative 8% return on investment in stocks (historically 9-10% long term). Also I assumed 3% annual raises (conservative compared to historical increases)
One hour of overtime pay at $32.99 per hour, 5 days a week.

Your total is $2,986,746 after 35 years.
I hope you enjoy that 3 million dollar pat on the back, you earned it.
You are cheating your family out of this money and handing it to the fat cats at the top.
United Parcel Service Co. gave its chairman and CEO, D Scott Davis compensation valued at $10.7 million in 2012. (4 year business degree Portland State)"
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/retirement/401-k-retirement-calculator.aspx

Rainman

Its all good.
Are you following the methods? Do you feel that the pace you're working at constitutes a fair days work for a fair days pay? Are you working and driving safely? If you can say yes to these questions, then the numbers simply don't matter.
The numbers are changed by I.E. to suit whatever flavor of the month standard upper management comes up with. The numbers don't accurately reflect the time it takes to do the job in the vast majority of cases.
As long as you feel you aren't screwing over the company, then take the prescribed break/lunch time. The company loves when you don't take the allotted time, because you save them so much money, and make the center numbers look better.
At $50/hour overtime rate, a skipped lunch costs you over $12,000 per year. I would rather get a :censored2: chewing every day than give up that kind of money. It's a lot to give up just to get an "atta boy".

Holydriver

Reminded me of an old thread here:
http://www.browncafe.com/community/threads/lunch-skippers.356164/
The total would be over $3 Million with current pay...

"So...

How much is that pat on the back worth, when you skip your lunch or set up your truck off the clock?

If you did not skip your lunch, and instead invested that $49.50 (1 hour) in overtime into your 401k in stocks, you might be surprised...

Over your career you are handing UPS nearly 3 million dollars !

You can see the number below. I assumed a conservative 8% return on investment in stocks (historically 9-10% long term). Also I assumed 3% annual raises (conservative compared to historical increases)
One hour of overtime pay at $32.99 per hour, 5 days a week.

Your total is $2,986,746 after 35 years.
I hope you enjoy that 3 million dollar pat on the back, you earned it.
You are cheating your family out of this money and handing it to the fat cats at the top.
United Parcel Service Co. gave its chairman and CEO, D Scott Davis compensation valued at $10.7 million in 2012. (4 year business degree Portland State)"
http://www.bankrate.com/calculators/retirement/401-k-retirement-calculator.aspx
Everyone always mentions how much money you are losing. That's important to some, but others don't see it like that. I started my career skipping lunches, then slowly started taking 30-40 minutes, now I'll only skip lunch if I'm going to get in early enough to make an hour of guarantee or if I've got somewhere to go after work on a Friday. But the thing is, that money going back to the company is important to you, but someone else thinks that time outside of work is more important than the money. UPS lacks a work/life balance. Some people forgo OT in order to try and achieve a little bit of it.

Dr.Brownz

i enjoy my lunch too much to skip it. It's my one hour to sit there and do absolutely nothing productive. Drives them nuts. I'll usually get a message towards the end of the hour. They should be more honest during the 30 days and require you to take your personal time, then they wouldn't be :censored2: when you start to.

10 min breaks were never mentioned once here. Actually I recall my sup encouraging working through lunch to get in earlier

Orion inc.

I like turtles
It does benefit me. I get done at a somewhat reasonable time and half the center or more is still back before me.

There are guys that skip lunch and are done at 430. I get back by between 6 and 7. Sometimes later on a really bad day and that never involves stopping for lunch.

A little over a week ago I had a blown out truck with 400 packages a 160 stops and an 11 hour dispatch. Truck was so full I barely could squeeze in my backpack and cooler with drinks. I got back at 8. Had I taken lunch I would've not finished till 9. Screw that. I just did it straight. That particular route is also heavy on pickups and they last about 2 hours.
Umm yeah...so reading this whole thread and all your posts, you sound like you need to stop being a pushover and grow some serious balls.

Do the job by the methods and take your full lunch. You don't work at all during your lunch. If you do, that is falsifying records. It doesn't matter if you want to "stretch " your walk pace down. Are you freaking kidding???

How the hell did you make your seniority? It sounds like you don't even have the understanding of how ups and being a driver works.

Because you are doing it all wrong

35years

Gravy route
Not a vet only a few months senority
A few months?
You are still learning, or should be.
It takes at least a year of applying yourself completely, physically and mentally, to become a fully competent driver.
If you apply yourself, you will become a good driver. But you need to make the effort.

Perhaps this is a generational thing. Every driver was expected to strive to become a true professional back when I started. It does not happen overnight. You don't have to run, or do unsafe or dishonest stuff. But you do need to give it your all.

Coldworld

60 months and counting
A few months?
You are still learning, or should be.
It takes at least a year of applying yourself completely, physically and mentally, to become a fully competent driver.
If you apply yourself, you will become a good driver. But you need to make the effort.

Perhaps this is a generational thing. Every driver was expected to strive to become a true professional back when I started. It does not happen overnight. You don't have to run, or do unsafe or dishonest stuff. But you do need to give it your all.
But for some, giving it your all means running your ass off all day with no lunch... No thank you...

TG43

I had the same mentality when I started and would skip my lunch. Over time, I worked up to taking a full lunch for several reasons...
-I got faster and more confident I was doing the job properly, using the methods.
-Co-workers (and on here) explained I really should take a full lunch.
-I'd get p.issed for working for free.
-Got a new sup that has never mentioned over-allowed, even when I'm 1.5 over.

So take your lunch eventually, that's my point.
p.s. Getting a new sup was a game changer for me. It changed the attitude (positively) of our whole center I think.