Numbers game - PPH

island1fox

I know many, many part time sups that parlayed that position into becoming multi,multi millionaires with just their dividends being well over 80,000 per year.

Look at it this way- even with presently reduced opportunities for advancement --some driver or part time supervisor will be the CEO of UPS in the future. Someone has to do it !!

jace1319

The PT sup position would be ideal for a college student looking to both take advantage of the tuition reimbursement and the plus of having "UPS Management" on their resume. With the direction the company is taking if I were a PT sup I would be updating my resume and applying for work elsewhere upon my graduation from college.

We have two PT sups who "run" the preload. The PDS actually runs the preload and has his two puppets to "supervise" the loaders, which involves little more than handing them add/cut sheets and taking down the lane number placards as the preload wraps up. They are clearly underutilized and are not being prepped for possible advancement. I don't see either of them with the company beyond the next 5 years, if not sooner.

Yes, drivers make $80K with benefits, but a PT sup who bides his time and gets their degree can parlay that experience in to a mgt position elsewhere easily making $80K or more.

im confused are you a hourly or mngmnt?

menotyou

bella amicizia
and no matter your pay rate you will always do as instructed by a person that probably makes alot less than you =]

Which would you rather be?
1)dumb truck driver who makes $80,000
Or
2)pt sup who make $25,000, but can give an order

Gee, that is soooooo difficult. Whatever will I chose?

I know many, many part time sups that parlayed that position into becoming multi,multi millionaires with just their dividends being well over 80,000 per year.
I understand this. He was stressing the fact that someone making less was the one holding all the responsibility and that somehow I was jealous of that. I was pointing out that I have no reason to be.

And, who didn't get the yearly letter about going into management? If I wanted management, I could have had it a long time ago.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yeah, I don't know what any of that means. All I'm saying is there is no pph goal that is difficult to attain.
Hourly employees just need to man up and do it.
Stop asking when can we go home, you can go home after your 3 hour work day!

As far as drivers go, if I was making $31 an hour they would have a hard getting me off the clock, so not a lot of
sympathy.
No One wants your sympathy. It is a young persons job. After about 3 hrs of OT you give it all to the govt. Thats why we whine. If I actually got the fruits of my labor, I would be like you too. If you are single, or married, older and no children, the 0t is not what it was when you were young. And its much harder to love.

hypocrisy

Banned

Look at it this way- even with presently reduced opportunities for advancement --some driver or part time supervisor will be the CEO of UPS in the future. Someone has to do it !!

The ones I see now are either 1) alcoholics or 2) $30k millionaires or both. Nobody has any sort of business degree and it shows.

I think the era of the preloader to CEO is over at UPS, seeing as the current one was an accountant. I see Atlanta becoming more and more out of touch with what is really happening in the hubs and on the street in the future.

HubOps

I've been following the thread for a while and decided to chime in with my own two cents.

Upser08, just stop it. Maybe if you aligned your employees goals with your own, you wouldn't find that your employees ask to go home all night, or slack off. This is called managing people, it is what you are being paid to do. I do this every night in a tier 1 hub. It is not difficult.
Learn to appreciate the union contract. On the supervisory level it can be annoying, i agree. But it does the help the company.

hypocrisy

Banned
even for management...we are there before you get there and long after you leave.....

As a Feeder driver I get to see when Management comes and goes. Seems like in my area the center manager's will show up around 6:30 (9 am driver start) and On Roads usually about 7:30. Then they bail about 9:30 or 10 depending on the day and some, not all, come back around 1700 and stay till 1900. It used to be one would have to stay til the last driver came in but now they just let an OMS stick around. The Feeder Management have roughly defined shifts with the dispatch manager and on-road manager staying at least 10 hours each and sometimes showing up at odd times. Of course, this all goes out the window during peak when it seems they all work 12 hr shifts or more. Seems to me that the on-roads who actually go on road get the shortest end of the stick and why anyone would choose that job is beyond me.

hypocrisy

Banned
I've been following the thread for a while and decided to chime in with my own two cents.

Upser08, just stop it. Maybe if you aligned your employees goals with your own, you wouldn't find that your employees ask to go home all night, or slack off. This is called managing people, it is what you are being paid to do. I do this every night in a tier 1 hub. It is not difficult.
Learn to appreciate the union contract. On the supervisory level it can be annoying, i agree. But it does the help the company.

Lets hear some more from you HubOps.

cino321

My management team is normally at home eating dinner with their family while I am still out cleaning up after another one of their "bright ideas".

LOL what kind of center manager do you have?

In my building even the managers stay till most of the drivers come in, and the on car's all stay as per the manager's.

menotyou

bella amicizia
LOL what kind of center manager do you have?

In my building even the managers stay till most of the drivers come in, and the on car's all stay as per the manager's.
On-car-gone by 5pm. center manager-gone by 6pm. Leaves just the metro sup at my center.

TechGrrl

Space Cadet
1200 PPH is a realistic number for unloading a feeder, a package car, or sorting. As an overall hub goal it is ridiculous. An overall hub number might be 150pph gross, lower on net. Who told you your hub number was 1200 PPH, and what was the context?

Dynomite

How's PPH calculated for loaders? Is it from the time you start and clock out? A lot of times I help out other loaders at the end of my shift. My manager has been giving me crap lately because I couldn't reach 210 PPH.

Loaders are how many scanned in a hour. No offense but if your PPH is below 210 you are either insanely slow, or on a very slow dock. No one on mine is below 300 granted I work on the busiest in the hub, but even when I worked in IL on a middle of the road dock I think I only remember one guy going below 250 and he ended up quitting because everyone gave him a hard time.

xfdxgroundmgmt

At my center, they write up the spa people if they scan a damage. Why the unloaders don't just put damages aside til the end, I will never understand. I can't count the number of times I have said this to no avail.

Give me 1049 all night and I to am sure you will let one slip by......................... P.s. that's why they are in the unlolad