Obama Threatens Action in Libya

klein

Für Meno :)
The guided missiles you guys fired would have been bought from us, since I dont think you make your own.

We probably gave you a sweet deal on them....like 50 cases of maple syrup and 100 lbs of bacon per missile.

I don't think so, the F35's we just ordered are $18 Billion !

The Canadian government said Friday it plans to spend $9 billion to purchase a new generation of fighter jets, the friend-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter.
Defence Minister Peter MacKay told a news conference in Ottawa that the jets would be purchased from Lockheed Martin, with the first one expected for delivery by 2016
The contract, one of the biggest military equipment purchases in Canadian history, is worth $9 billion, but the full cost could rise to as much $18 billion once the government signs a maintenance contract.
MacKay said the government would make further announcements on additional costs at a later date.

That's for a total of 65 fighter jets. You do the math !
I heard the US government ain't even buying them, due to lack of funds.

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't think so, the F35's we just ordered are $18 Billion !

The Canadian government said Friday it plans to spend $9 billion to purchase a new generation of fighter jets, the friend-35 Lightning II Joint Strike Fighter.
Defence Minister Peter MacKay told a news conference in Ottawa that the jets would be purchased from Lockheed Martin, with the first one expected for delivery by 2016
The contract, one of the biggest military equipment purchases in Canadian history, is worth $9 billion, but the full cost could rise to as much $18 billion once the government signs a maintenance contract.
MacKay said the government would make further announcements on additional costs at a later date.

That's for a total of 65 fighter jets. You do the math !
I heard the US government ain't even buying them, due to lack of funds.
Lockheed Martin headquartered in Bethesda Maryland (USA) !! We're sellin' them all to you!!

moreluck

golden ticket member
And whats wrong with that ? We are your largest trading partner, even larger then China ! :)

Pay attention.......you said "I don't think so" when someone said something was Amer. made....I'm just showing you that Lockheed Martin is an American Co.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Pay attention.......you said "I don't think so" when someone said something was Amer. made....I'm just showing you that Lockheed Martin is an American Co.

He was responding to my humourous suggestion that his government bought missiles from ours and paid with Canadian Bacon and maple syrup instead of cash.

soberups

And whats wrong with that ? We are your largest trading partner, even larger then China ! :)

So here is a general question that I have.

We sell Canada top-secret, cutting edge military hardware. A Canadian Air Force officer is on full-time duty at NORAD. And the air defense of a significant portion of Alaskan airspace is currently tasked to friend-16's of the Canadian Air Force.

With all of that being the case, why do we even need to have border controls and passports to cross the US/Canadian border?

They no longer have any sort of border controls in Western Europe. And the last time I checked, there werent hordes of terrorists or drug smugglers trying to sneak into the US from Vancouver BC. Just what are we trying to protect ourselves from?

If we are worried about foreign terrorists getting into the US by way of Canada, would it not make more sense for US Customs and Border Patrol agents to assist their Canadian counterparts at Canadian airports and ports of entry? Canada does not share a land border with any nation but us (unless you count that little island up by Greenland that they are arguing with Denmark over) so the only way for U.S.-bound terrorists to get into Canada is by boat or air.

I understand the need for border security with Mexico, but Canada? Really? Its a line on a map over a thousand miles long that anybody could just walk over if they really wanted to. What is the point?

klein

That's exactly what that kid did.... What did they call him, the barefoot bandit ?
He walked over the Washington Border into Canada thru the forest, tried to steal a little twin engine plane there, but crashed it on take-off.
He found his way back into the US though, and ended up in the Bahamas, where they finally caught him.

Your former President Bush implemented passports to go into Canada and return.
Before then, it was just a driver's licence or a birth certificate.

Maybe, one day those days may return, who knows ?
The US government doesn't trust our international customs control, I suppose, even though not 1 single terrorist ever came from Canada into the United States !

klein

All lies More ! And the US opoligized for those ! Not 1 single terrorist came from Canada , repeat : NOT ONE (1) !!!!

Makes me sick that some US citizens still think Canada had something to do with 9/11 !
NOTHING , NOBODY, ZERO , came from Canada !

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I understand the need for border security with Mexico, but Canada? Really? Its a line on a map over a thousand miles long that anybody could just walk over if they really wanted to. What is the point?

Do yourself a favor and rent "Frozen River". You will see the point. BTW, this movie was filmed in mine and menotyou's part of the world.

moreluck

golden ticket member
The first one talks about smuggling dangerous materials in. how does that mean 9-11 ?? You are way too defensive.......!!

I didn't accuse Canada of anything.......... The north and south borders of the US are porous, some more porous than others and anybody could possibly sneak in dangerous stuff if we don't watch them.

soberups

The first one talks about smuggling dangerous materials in. how does that mean 9-11 ?? You are way too defensive.......!!

I didn't accuse Canada of anything.......... The north and south borders of the US are porous, some more porous than others and anybody could possibly sneak in dangerous stuff if we don't watch them.

My whole point is that it makes more sense to stop them from getting into Canada in the first place then it does to try and stop them from sneaking across after they are already in Canada.

klein

Before 9/11 nobody cared about the Canada-US border though.
I know from my own experience what scruitny we go thru at Canada Customs, and US customs.
Trust me, Canada is much worse ! It's awlful , and I hate it !

So, I think the northern border is safe for you, besides some weed smuggling.
And we watch out for weapons and drugs being smuggled in from the south.

BTW, why would you even post a link from that crazy totally US right website "Canadafreepress" into this thread ?
It's basically a US Nazi website !

Last edited:

klein

My whole point is that it makes more sense to stop them from getting into Canada in the first place then it does to try and stop them from sneaking across after they are already in Canada.

Because the USA will NEVER have jurisdiction on who can or cannot enter Canada for travel or immigration.
And it will stay that way, too !

moreluck

golden ticket member
Because the USA will NEVER have jurisdiction on who can or cannot enter Canada for travel or immigration.

So when you wrap your arms around all the whackos and welcome them in.............then we can keep them from coming here and you'll be stuck with them!!

klein

So when you wrap your arms around all the whackos and welcome them in.............then we can keep them from coming here and you'll be stuck with them!!

Well, I haven't heard anybody speaking spanish here. Don't even have spanish TV channels or Newspapers, flyers, etc !
Our bank machines will ask French or English.

soberups

I never suggested that the USA have "jurisdiction" over Canadian immigration issues.

What I suggested....is that both nations cooperate on issues of terrorism and illegal smuggling by intercepting would-be terrorists at the point of entry, rather than harassing each others citizens who are peaceably crossing the border.

It works in Europe, within the "Schengen Zone" of nations that have agreed to eliminate border controls. Why would it not work here?