Off the street seasonal required to pay union dues?

OptimusPrime

Had someone ask me this today. I mean logically it makes no sense, seeing as he wasn't given the option to join after 30 days. But we all know about logic and UPS.

UPSGUY72

Had someone ask me this today. I mean logically it makes no sense, seeing as he wasn't given the option to join after 30 days. But we all know about logic and UPS.

It has nothing to do with UPS ups doesn't have a option the job your working is a UNION job... If you don't like it go find a none union job. Mc Donald might be a better fit...

OptimusPrime

It has nothing to do with UPS ups doesn't have a option the job your working is a UNION job... If you don't like it go find a none union job. Mc Donald might be a better fit...

No need to get snarky. Wasn't about me. Proud Teamsters member. He was just worried about a possible situation, one that if he was a Union member would be no big deal. And that was why he asked why he was paying dues, not being a member, and not having representation. Was just asking. And the whole thing about logic was just a jab about UPS in general. Shouldn't we as Union members care more about the fact that basically "scabs" are brought in during tough times to patch holes, more so than just thanking this guy for paying dues?

No need to get snarky. Wasn't about me. Proud Teamsters member. He was just worried about a possible situation, one that if he was a Union member would be no big deal. And that was why he asked why he was paying dues, not being a member, and not having representation. Was just asking. And the whole thing about logic was just a jab about UPS in general. Shouldn't we as Union members care more about the fact that basically "scabs" are brought in during tough times to patch holes, more so than just thanking this guy for paying dues?
It's a union shop with union negotiated benifits. This is why he is paying dues to the union.

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
Same reason driver helpers have to pay initiation fees. Personally I think off the street hires should be drawn and quartered in the public square.

Catatonic

Nine Lives

Or get promoted to management and eat donuts all day and get real fat and then die of a heart attack.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Same reason driver helpers have to pay initiation fees.

Helpers do not pay initiation fees in my local. If they were required to do so we would have an even harder time finding qualified applicants.

Personally I think off the street hires should be drawn and quartered in the public square.

Yeah.....the nerve.....trying to get a job to support their family...what are they thinking.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Better to live in Moms basement for 10 years while waiting to go FT.....

Are you saying that, rather than start as a casual at $16/hr, I should have started at $8/hr because that would have been the right thing to do?

With those kind of math skills remind me not to have you do my income taxes.

BSWALKS

Fugitive From Reality

Or get promoted to management and eat donuts all day and get real fat and then die of a heart attack.

How timely, my boss was telling me yesterday he picked up a couple strawberry frosted, ya more like a couple dozen! Dude needs to hit the treadmill.

JonFrum

NEWSFLASH:The "closed union shop" was outlawed in 1947 by the Taft-Hartley Act.