Oh No, More Snow.....

bluehdmc

One day lay off (tonite Thursday) for about 30 feeder drivers in NNJ. Supposed to be caused by low volume because of buildings closed in midwest. Don't know about tomorrow, off anyway, Sun-Thurs job. 3 day weekend.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
So sorry to hear that Klein. One thing I can guarantee you is that they really didnt do it to piss you off, really, they didnt. They care more about their plane, pilots, and the other 237 people on the plane than they care about putting you out.

My personal view, a plane that can not land safely should not be allowed to take off.......wait, maybe THAT is really why they cancelled your flight. Damn Americans and their efforts to keep those majestic Canadians out.

What, no government program that will pay you extra when you have to rebook your flight? I demand that for you, it ought to be free, regardless of the cost. How uncivilized, making you pay for an alternative flight.

d
Damn it!!! I really wish I could give you a pos. rep. for this. :happy-very:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
It's fine. It's no big deal, if I have the interview, I have no hesitation to tell them the reason, I got fired.
Besides, any falsh statements can lead to dismissal at a later point.

Anyways, since no one is answering that question, above, that I was quized on today, here's what I chose :

Best answer : slam on the breaks
Worst : Immediatly change lanes

(note : it's a larger vehicle then a UPS delivery truck)

noticed a typo above : #3 is de-acccelerate (not excellerate) !!

You need to pick 1 option as the best, and 1 option as the worst answer :

Question :
A car just suddenly pulls infront of you (cuts you off) - what do you do ?

- Slam on the brakes
- immedialty change lanes to avoid an accident
- de-acccelerate, then follow the vehicle upclose so you can teach the driver a lesson
- Do nothing, it's the other persons fault if an accident occurs

(looking at it now, not sure if I answered correctly... not 100% sure of the wording they had now, either :(.. damn tricky).
Figures you would choose change lanes for worst choice. If you are paying attention to your surroundings you will already now if the lane next to you is clear. Changing lanes may very well be the BEST option. And slamming on your brakes may very well be your worst.

klein

Für Meno :)
Figures you would choose change lanes for worst choice. If you are paying attention to your surroundings you will already now if the lane next to you is clear. Changing lanes may very well be the BEST option. And slamming on your brakes may very well be your worst.

What if it may be against company policy to change lanes ? And it could well be. That test doesn't know, I know about the Big Picture !
And the wording "Immediatly" change lanes.... if it wasn't for that 1 word, I would have picked it, ofcourse.
Besides the vehicle is 3 times the length of a package car..... would it really help to change lanes in the last second ? (and perhaps put others in danger ) ? And maybe even T-boning the vehicle infront of you , leaving his driver door unaccessible for emergency responders ?

bluehdmc

What if it may be against company policy to change lanes ? And it could well be. That test doesn't know, I know about the Big Picture !
And the wording "Immediatly" change lanes.... if it wasn't for that 1 word, I would have picked it, ofcourse.
Besides the vehicle is 3 times the length of a package car..... would it really help to change lanes in the last second ? (and perhaps put others in danger ) ?

Always have an escape path. I will admit some of the possible answers are rather ambiguous.

klein

Maybe they re-use those answers in the upcomming interview (as to why you have chosen that answer) ?

Could well be..... but, then again, only those that did well in the test get an interview !!!!

brownedout

Hello all, been lurking forever, first post. Yeah we had a District Mgr. who was notorious for recalling us too late in the snow. Numerous times most of us were unable to return to the building because of clogged roads and were left stranded. The all time best was hurricane Floyd back in 1999. By the time he had called us off the road a dam had burst right by the building, and every road was washed out. I don't believe he's with the company anymore but I hope he's on this site. What a boob!

Hello 1091, and welcome. Nice to have another Nyack driver here. I do remember that Floyd fiasco. We all had to park our package cars at a commuter lot and be "ferried" to the building in the back of the 24-footer. Not that it mattered though, we couldn't go anywhere in our personal cars. Remember when said "boob" called us off the road from his warm house during one particularly bad snowstorm.

klein

So sorry to hear that Klein. One thing I can guarantee you is that they really didnt do it to piss you off, really, they didnt. They care more about their plane, pilots, and the other 237 people on the plane than they care about putting you out.

My personal view, a plane that can not land safely should not be allowed to take off.......wait, maybe THAT is really why they cancelled your flight. Damn Americans and their efforts to keep those majestic Canadians out.

What, no government program that will pay you extra when you have to rebook your flight? I demand that for you, it ought to be free, regardless of the cost. How uncivilized, making you pay for an alternative flight.

d

Hey Dannyboy,

after re-reading your post - you really don't fly much do you ?
Incase an airline does cancel a flight - you get a full refund, anyways.
It's not like they have major extra costs involved, - they aren't flying ! No plane, no fuel, no pilots or stewards(esses) !

And I was even intellegent enough to purchase the delay/cancellation insurance, too. Was only $25.
So, any extra costs that arise will be reimbursed.

(The extra airfare costs, the cab that I now need to get to my resort, plus the $150 for the day missed. Maybe even for the night of pre-paid resort stay, I lost - not sure on that one, the $150 might cover that.).

And if our airports operated like those down south, then Canada would be shut down for half the year !
I think this winter is a wake up call for the US cities & airports to have some adequate winter equipment not just for city roads, but for airports, too.

Thank you for contacting Mondial Assistance.
As per your recent conversation with our office, please find attached your Continental Flight Delay claim forms. Please note that claims payment is subject to the terms and conditions of your policy and verification of coverage.
(just for acknowlegement)

klein

Made me google it. Well, 1 of us is totally wrong :

The GES data has concluded that the five most frequent crash types involving motor coaches are: lane change, rear end, intersection, hitting parked vehicles, and backing up scenarios. The total for the top five crash categories accounted for approximately 87% of crashes involving motor coaches within the United States.

Now, I'm happy, because I think I have answerd that trick question correctly now :)

Odd, some experienced UPS drivers would have failed that one !

Nimnim

The Nim
It's not like they have major extra costs involved, - they aren't flying ! No plane, no fuel, no pilots or stewards(esses) !

87a4e689.gif

Just gotta correct this, they're called "Flight Attendants." Steward/Stewardess is sexist or some nonsense making it not politically correct. Probably a bunch of uppity midgets involved in that too.

Houston, are you there ? Anyone home ????

I lost contact to Houston !!!!!

My flight in 15 hrs got cancelled !
Houston can send people to space, and can't land a plane in snow ????

Dammit.. !!!!

Now, this will even cost me more..... rebooked with Delta, at my own cost for now....

Better get with the program, Houston !!!! :(
Ya boy, Houston Texas, where it snows once every ten years or so is going to spend a hundred thousand bucks or more for snow/ice removal equipment just so you can fly through there a time or two.

bbsam

Staff member
Ya boy, Houston Texas, where it snows once every ten years or so is going to spend a hundred thousand bucks or more for snow/ice removal equipment just so you can fly through there a time or two.

A couple pickup truck and a salt spreader and a couple ton's of salt would easily do it. Doubtful it would be incredibly expensive, but you are right. Doesn't happen enough to warrant the expense.

moreluck

golden ticket member
My next door neighbor, my coffee buddy, is moving to Sweetwater, TX. He and his parents should arrive today sometime......are they going to be greeted by "winter" ??

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Besides the vehicle is 3 times the length of a package car..... would it really help to change lanes in the last second ? (and perhaps put others in danger ) ? And maybe even T-boning the vehicle infront of you , leaving his driver door unaccessible for emergency responders ?
Ambiguous - - having more than one meaning: having more than one possible meaning or interpretation
- causing uncertainty: causing uncertainty or confusion.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
My next door neighbor, my coffee buddy, is moving to Sweetwater, TX. He and his parents should arrive today sometime......are they going to be greeted by "winter" ??
Mexico cancels offer to send electricity to Texas
(AP) – 1 day ago
MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico said Thursday it was temporarily suspending an offer to provide electricity to Texas to help the U.S. state weather an ice storm that forced rolling blackouts, because of severe cold in Mexico's own territory.
Mexico's Federal Electricity Commission had said Wednesday it had agreed to transmit 280 megawatts of electricity to Texas.
But on Thursday, the commission said it was temporarily suspending the transfer because below-freezing temperatures in northern Mexico have caused some damage to the generating capacity of its own plants, causing some power outages in several parts of Chihuahua state and a reduction of about 3,800 megawatts in generation.
The commission also said Mexico needed to ensure there was enough electricity to meet domestic demand, in the face of a severe cold snap that dumped snow on the border city of Ciudad Juarez, across from El Paso, Texas.

Hospitals are supposed to be exempt from the blackouts which hit yesterday, with power company Oncor attributing the outages to a “mistake,” but there were no such mistakes when it came to supplying power to Cowboys Stadium. The government has ensured that the blackouts will not affect Super Bowl venues, a decision that has left residents furious.
Street lights and traffic lights have also been hit by the outages, causing traffic build-ups and other hazards more typically associated with a decrepit underdeveloped country, and not with the supposed leading light of the prosperous first world.

Sure looks like they will.

Now, I'm happy, because I think I have answered that trick question correctly now :)

Odd, some experienced UPS drivers would have failed that one !

At least you didn`t have to worry about answering that question as an experienced UPS driver. Look, just make sure the customer gets their order correct at the drivethru and you`ll do fine. Best of luck on your new endeavors and remember to get them to supersize.

At least you didn`t have to worry about answering that question as an experienced UPS driver. Look, just make sure the customer gets their order correct at the drivethru and you`ll do fine. Best of luck on your new endeavors and remember to get them to supersize.
and make sure to punch out before you go to the bar this time. It won't look good on you resume if you get fired from to huge corporations like ups and McDonalds.

klein

In sunny Florida now, yeah, I'll look into that Mac D's job..... atleast they pay $12.00/hr.... and healthcare covered !
Why slave and unload trailers for $8.50 ?

At least you didn`t have to worry about answering that question as an experienced UPS driver.

Yes, you are right, experienced UPS divers are old-timers.
I can only imagine how those feeder drivers change lanes constantly in the city.

Good for them.

It's better then stepping on the brakes !