on the truck before start time

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
I don't want to see any of you "by the union book" people on that truck early tommorrow morning. I know none of you are going in early to get a start on your day.
I put my stuff away and walk away. After looking through the door yesterday (and what havoc they created), I'm to the point of friend-it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND

Here they pay you for it.

But as a practical matter, the air will be late, so while our start time here will be 8:45, most likely wont leave the building before 10 or later. THat give you a lot of sort time to fix your load at eve.

d

greenboots

In as much as drivers working off the clock benefits mgt they have no incentive to stop this practice and, as we have read here, encourage it. This is where the steward needs to grow a set and do his job. Period.

:woohoo:First of I would like to state that I have just been lurking here for quite some time waiting for the proper moment to speak my peace. After reading the response of others as to how you violate this policy about being in your truck prior to start time, I would like to use my position as Steward with a set and make sure that if you are in your truck before start time the center manager(rb) will be given a greivance on your behalf or that of a higher seniority employee to be paid for doing this bargaining unit work.

Accepting your gratitude in advance:

Your beloved Teamster Brother and Shop Steward

P.S. As you can see by my avatar I infact do have a set!!!!!

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

:woohoo:First of I would like to state that I have just been lurking here for quite some time waiting for the proper moment to speak my peace. After reading the response of others as to how you violate this policy about being in your truck prior to start time, I would like to use my position as Steward with a set and make sure that if you are in your truck before start time the center manager(rb) will be given a greivance on your behalf or that of a higher seniority employee to be paid for doing this bargaining unit work.

Oh...OK...have fun with that.

gded

No way brownmonster. lets see ups stick up for you if u get hurt off the clock. Their lawyers will be right on top of that. Would u want your kids working off the clock.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dear Mr I have a set

I am glad you have a set and can use them if needed. But you are playing into your center team's desire to keep the drivers divided on and with the union.

Yeah, I know, its your job. But that is where you are wrong.

The contract plainly states management will not allow. Period. And that is what you file under. It never gets personal, or pits driver against driver.

Now, as a practical matter, the offending driver is still working without pay.

Would it not be better to force the company to pay the offending driver, and then file because of a violation of seniority? Double down on the offense?

Bottom line? The company is in violation of the contract and federal and state laws in most areas for allowing this practice. And payday will hurt.

d

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Dear Mr I have a set

I am glad you have a set and can use them if needed. But you are playing into your center team's desire to keep the drivers divided on and with the union.

The contract plainly states management will not allow. Period. And that is what you file under. It never gets personal, or pits driver against driver.

Would it not be better to force the company to pay the offending driver, and then file because of a violation of seniority? Double down on the offense?

Bottom line? The company is in violation of the contract and federal and state laws in most areas for allowing this practice. And payday will hurt.

d

Absolutely correct!!!
How people can continue to take well defined black and white and find grey is beyond me.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Dear Mr I have a set

d
Danny I did not read Green's post as pitting driver against driver. In fact it sounds alot like I suggested earlier in this thread of forcing mgt to pay any and all drivers their early start time. If Green files for seniority violations as well, that's bonus, as you suggest.

I think, and pls correct me if am wrong (Danny or Green), Danny you are assuming that Green meant he was filing against the driver and I didn't read it that way. I understood Green to mean that he is filing for the driver to get the pay. ????????????

P.S. As you can see by my avatar I infact do have a set!!!!!

Oh, I agree with you Danny. I know. There is a side door into the argument of the drivers being pissed at the steward (or another driver). Steward goes to mgt, Joe Blow is working, you need to adjust the time card to reflect the new start time.

All the steward needs to do is make sure all drivers know that anyone starting early will be given the same treatment (I meant this in a positive way). Mgt will get pissed quick enough at having to adjust time cards for every driver. Mgt will put a stop to it. Reverse psychology.
I added to my original post as seen in red.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dill

What you are missing is the actual grievance. Whose name is on the grievance? The driver that is working off the clock.

Now, what does management do. They go down and usually yank said driver off the car, or take other action. Notice, i did not say disciplinary action, as very few times does that ever occur.

Now, I file a grievance on Dill being out in the work area before start time working. IT has your name on it. Management talks to you telling you to get off the belt.

I know you well enough to know you are going to go off. Not against the company, but against the steward that filed the grievance on you. I can hear it now, "what business is it of his" etc etc etc. And for the next few weeks, you have a large burr under the saddle.

So, this is what I am talking about. And a lot of shop stewards play right into that action, causing issues between drivers, and between the rank and file and the union. Both of which many managers would gladly pay money to see happen.

So why put everybody out, and cause hard feelings. The company is the one that runs the show, they have to nip this, not the union.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Ok Danny, I see your point and it is completely plausible. So how do you get the company to enforce no work before start time? Based on what you have said, the same result is possible even if a more senior driver files on seniority. The less senior driver gets a T/W and now is pissed because the more senior driver filed. 6 of 1, 1/2 dozen of the other.

There has to be some solution to this issue and obviously the company isn't going to push it.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Dill

Its coming. They have been the recipient of a lot of unpaid work time by their employees. And to have to either pay it all back to the hourly or stop the practice........which do you think they will do?

It is coming.

d

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Hmmmm, we'll see D. I know here, one of the few problems (there are about 3 drivers) would go away if he'd retire. I keep praying.

UPSNewbie

Hmmmm, we'll see D. I know here, one of the few problems (there are about 3 drivers) would go away if he'd retire. I keep praying.

He'll soon think about how much bigger his pension could have been and maybe change his ways.

But that makes too much sense.

backinbrown

respect my authority
I get to the center a half hour before start time, earlier if I can help it. I know I'm working for free, but the amount of aggravation I save myself is WELL worth it. Like today, I had several stops which had 5-10 packages and would be unloaded at a dock through the rear door. I had no RDL and RDR assignments, and so I reorganized all my bulk stops to the rear of the truck, with plenty of room to walk through, clearing up a lot of floor and shelf space, which made about FIFTY stops much easier to find. I'll give up a half hour of my morning for that anyday. In the past 15 months (length I've been driving) I don't think one of our 80 drivers has gotten injured while organizing his car before start time, and we have a LOT of guys there early.

Bottom line you are not supposed to be on your car sorting pkgs before start time not allowed and we grieve it here in new england. You give up a half hour every day to do this figure out how much money a year you are giving the company, we are allowed to sort our trucks on road that time is there, also what about the person that covers your route or does a route that you cover for them and they dont sort their truck for 30 mins before start is that fair to your fellow teamster, do you also only take part of your lunch, i do understand why you want to do it believe me if i could i would do it also, but we cant there are reasons thats just one grunts opinion

backinbrown

respect my authority
Dear Mr I have a set

d

Here in new england we do file to have the driver paid for time spent on truck before start time this halts the problem of early start time for drivers because now center manager looks for drivers in the morning who are on truck sorting and bags them for it i dont like to see teamsters baged but you have to know dont sort off the clock

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
In many other places though they pit the driver against the shop steward.

and then they go up to the driver after you have filed, and the driver says "nope, dont want the grievance pay".

So here, I filed for the money. ANd several others every morning. Went to the break room and asked who wanted some free money.

That stopped it for quite a while. But the last time I was at the center, there were probably 30 drivers on the car 30 minutes before start time.

d

backinbrown

respect my authority
In many other places though they pit the driver against the shop steward.

and then they go up to the driver after you have filed, and the driver says "nope, dont want the grievance pay".

So here, I filed for the money. ANd several others every morning. Went to the break room and asked who wanted some free money.

That stopped it for quite a while. But the last time I was at the center, there were probably 30 drivers on the car 30 minutes before start time.

d

people just dont understand youd think paying greivences would make company keep them off the truck in the morning why do people insist on working off the clock and skipping lunches it takes 1000's of dollars from you, why give them that money i dont understand