On this Day

texan

On this day, 6 Dec 1883, Ladies’ Home Journal and Practical Housekeeper was published
for the first time.

It became one of the few magazines to reach a circulation of over one million.

Paid circulation is over 3,000,000.
6917-MA-1-lrg.jpg

texan

On this day, 7 Dec 1941 is remembered as “a date which will live in infamy”: Pearl Harbor Day.

Thousands of lives were lost, a major portion of America’s Pacific fleet was in pieces and the U.S. was
catapulted into war in the Pacific

Pause to reflect on one of America’s most tragic days.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
A few pictures from the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. At one end are the names of the sailors entombed beneath. The picture with the American Flag shows the memorial of the Arizona survivors who had their remains added after they died so that they could be back with their shipmates. The last picture shows the drops of fuel oil that still leak to the surface after seven decades. I have been to Oahu three times, we always visit this Memorial.

Hawaii1.jpghawaii2.jpghawaii3.jpghawaii4 (2).jpghawaii5.jpghawaii6.jpg
Hawaii1.jpg
hawaii2.jpg
hawaii3.jpg
hawaii4 (2).jpg
hawaii5.jpg
hawaii6.jpg

texan

On this day, 8 Dec 1980, John Lennon was shot and killed as he stood outside of his New York City
apartment house, the Dakota.

The deranged, obsessed ‘fan’ was quickly apprehended by others gathered at the scene.
A several-days vigil by hundreds of mourning fans is remembered as candles flickered and the
song Give Peace a Chance was heard -- a continuing tribute to the musician and songwriter of a
generation.

ajblakejr

Age quod agis
A few pictures from the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor. At one end are the names of the sailors entombed beneath. The picture with the American Flag shows the memorial of the Arizona survivors who had their remains added after they died so that they could be back with their shipmates. The last picture shows the drops of fuel oil that still leak to the surface after seven decades. I have been to Oahu three times, we always visit this Memorial.

View attachment 7981View attachment 7982View attachment 7983View attachment 7984View attachment 7985View attachment 7986

and so should more Americans, I fear the day these men are forgot.

texan

I prefer and appreciate the pictures taken by any of our members over those Googled on the Internet.
Upstate I posted news wire photos of those honored on this Hallowed Occasion, and you must taint it with
your disdain for me, or my posting style with your snarky comments.

You should hang your head in sorrow.

Last edited:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Upstate I posted news wire photos of those honored on this Hallowed Occasion, and you must taint it with
your disdain for me, or my posting style with your snarky comments.

You should hang your head in sorrow.

Not at all. I simply stated that I prefer and appreciate the effort Scratch put in to taking the pictures while on the USS Arizona and then graciously posting them here for all to see. You can see part of his personality through his pictures, much the same as when any other member posts personal pictures, and I felt as though I was there with him.

wkmac

On this day, 8 Dec 1980, John Lennon was shot and killed as he stood outside of his New York City
apartment house, the Dakota.

The deranged, obsessed ‘fan’ was quickly apprehended by others gathered at the scene.
A several-days vigil by hundreds of mourning fans is remembered as candles flickered and the
song Give Peace a Chance was heard -- a continuing tribute to the musician and songwriter of a
generation.

And Happy Birthday to the Lizard King. He would have been 69 years old.

texan

On this day, 9 Dec 1793, The first daily newspaper in New York City was founded by Noah
Webster
. The American Minerva was published for the first time this day.

texan

On this day, 10 Dec 1915, Ford builds its 1 millionth car.

On December 10, 1915, the 1 millionth Ford car rolls off the assembly line at the River Rouge plant in Detroit.
At first, Henry Ford had built his cars like every other automaker did: one at a time.

But his factories' efficiency and output steadily increased, and after he introduced the moving assembly line
in 1913 the company's productivity soared.

Ford was determined to build what he called "a motor car for the great multitude," and that's just
what he did: By mass-producing just one kind of car--from 1908 on, that car was the Model T--Ford
could take advantage of economies of scale that were unavailable to smaller carmakers and pass the
savings on to his customers.

texan

On this day, 11 Dec 1951, Joe DiMaggio announced his retirement from baseball.
Joltin’ Joe played only for the New York Yankees during his 13-year career.

His lifetime batting average was .325; and his streak of 56 games batted safely in, still stands as a record.
Joe’s two brothers, Vince and Dom, were also major-league players

texan

On this day, 12 Dec 1980, The U.S. Congress amended the Copyright Act in 1980 to explicitly recognize
that computer programs were protected as literary works.