One dead as FBI arrests Oregon occupation leader, four others

rod

Retired 22 years
I guess the cops should have waited for him to pull the gun he was reaching for and shoot at them? After he yelled at them "you're gonna have to shoot me!" ???

If you want to fight a government armed to the teeth, and want the law to be on your side, you better not be armed too, because it just gives them a legal excuse to shoot you.

I still say it was a stupid place for a road block:-)

newfie

:censored2: old man shouldn't have taken off and he'd be alive today.

a lot of truth to that. Some of the black shootings that we have seen in the past could also have been prevented if the perp had followed the police officers instructions. Whats coming up as questionable in this shooting is the video indicates shots fired by the FBI that were not previously reported by the FBi on the scene. As you can see once those early shots were fired the scene changes from a stand down to a battle scene with jittery police officers even randomly firing at the women and children inside the van. Did the FBI trigger this murder with those early shots fired at the van?

MAKAVELI

a lot of truth to that. Some of the black shootings that we have seen in the past could also have been prevented if the perp had followed the police officers instructions. Whats coming up as questionable in this shooting is the video indicates shots fired by the FBI that were not previously reported by the FBi on the scene. As you can see once those early shots were fired the scene changes from a stand down to a battle scene with jittery police officers even randomly firing at the women and children inside the van. Did the FBI trigger this murder with those early shots fired at the van?
I'd say those shots were triggered by Finicum. Classic case of suicide by cop. And to your other point. If Finicum was black, they would've shot him before he took off. They clearly gave him plenty of leeway in that regard.

rod

Retired 22 years
There will be another showdown in that area in the near future. Its in their blood. No one trusts "The Man" out there.

newfie

I'd say those shots were triggered by Finicum. Classic case of suicide by cop. And to your other point. If Finicum was black, they would've shot him before he took off. They clearly gave him plenty of leeway in that regard.

what puzzles me with your response is we see outrage when a black person disobeys a police officers instructions and is shot at close range.

yet in this case the video clearly show finicum being shot at a much greater distance while stumbling around in deep snow . no outrage? is the outrage political only?
are you comfortable with your government acting as judge, jury and executioner if the right person is getting shot?

MAKAVELI

what puzzles me with your response is we see outrage when a black person disobeys a police officers instructions and is shot at close range.

yet in this case the video clearly show finicum being shot at a much greater distance while stumbling around in deep snow . no outrage? is the outrage political only?
are you comfortable with your government acting as judge, jury and executioner if the right person is getting shot?
There's nothing puzzling about it. Finicum was on the record that he rather die than go to jail and was known to be armed. Like I said he was given leeway that wouldn't be afforded to any minority and all bets were off once he took off and tried to bust through a barricade. A clear and justified killing of an American terrorist.;)

newfie

Just like the 2 terrorists in San Bernardino.;)

Not even close, Footage shows the San Bernadino folks returning or possibly initiating fire, this after they went on their shooting and murder spree.

We have yet to see Finicum do anything but stumble around in the snow.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Not even close, Footage shows the San Bernadino folks returning or possibly initiating fire, this after they went on their shooting and murder spree.

We have yet to see Finicum do anything but stumble around in the snow.

What we really saw, was an ideological idiot, taking on the government for an issue that was so stupid, he cost himself his own life only to be forgotten by the entire nation who never really gave a crap in the first place.

A real martyr.

I for one, am glad he perished the way he wanted it. His love of guns and bullets, hitting his body of course.

Nobody cares about those guys anymore, they got their 15 minutes and it cost one his life.

The others are in jail or awaiting hearings on charges.

Mission accomplished?

TOS.

rod

Retired 22 years
There's nothing puzzling about it. Finicum was on the record that he rather die than go to jail and was known to be armed. Like I said he was given leeway that wouldn't be afforded to any minority and all bets were off once he took off and tried to bust through a barricade. A clear and justified killing of an American terrorist.;)

If its so clear and justified how come the Feds are saying the FBI lied about their part in the shooting?

bbsam

Staff member
So...this individual thought that he could tell the officers to "stand down"? And then he thought he could drive away to see the "sheriff"?
And then he thoughthe could jump out of the vehicle and yell "You're gonna have to kill me!" over and over and the reach for his waistband?

How does somebody live to be that old and have absolutely no common sense?

wayfair

swollen member
So...this individual thought that he could tell the officers to "stand down"? And then he thought he could drive away to see the "sheriff"?
And then he thoughthe could jump out of the vehicle and yell "You're gonna have to kill me!" over and over and the reach for his waistband?

How does somebody live to be that old and have absolutely no common sense?

they were getting shot at before he left the vehicle.

Sportello

they were getting shot at before he left the vehicle.
Of course they were. They just ran a road block and tried to avoid a second road block. The shots were aimed at the vehicle's front (engine), not the windshield. Law enforcement showed great restraint. One FBI agent lied about discharging his weapon.

All of this has been reported and is not in dispute.