"Open Marriage" Gingrich

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If your desire to be an informed voter was in any way nurtured by this debate, then it was not a waste for you. But if you found this debate enlightening and instructive into the exact direction the republican field would like to take the country in the next four years, then I wonder where you have been for the last three years, let alone the last 18 debates.

I have always felt that you can get a good feel for a person, not from what they say, but in how they say it--in the manner that it is presented. This is what impressed me most about Santorum. Romney is too slick and Gingrich too rehearsed. Paul is a non-factor.

No, I do not get all of my information from a televised debate.

If your desire to be an informed voter was in any way nurtured by this debate, then it was not a waste for you. But if you found this debate enlightening and instructive into the exact direction the republican field would like to take the country in the next four years, then I wonder where you have been for the last three years, let alone the last 18 debates.
I'm not so sure that all the debates combined would tell you where the republicans would lead the country. The back grounds of the candidates can be revealing but not even that will give a reliable prediction.

bbsam

Staff member
I wan't suggesting that the debates are in fact "high minded, intelligent, and revealing events", but they should be . Although a few light moments would help keep them more balanced.
Personally, I think the opening question was inappropriate for a presidential debate and I liked Newt's response. No one's love life should be the main focus.(yes, I would say the same if it Clinton's love life) I understand that most news media people disagree with me on that, but when are they really taking anything under consideration other than their ratings and getting their chosen guy the edge? IMO, there hasn't been enough true debating in this circuses (regardless of who is running it). All we hear are talking points and snippets.
Not to dodge your question of what was learned about the candidates, I can't answer. I didn't watch more than the first few minutes.
My point was that Newt's "despicable" remark was just silly. This is the time and place we live in and the politics of the day reflect it. We are all about the political horse race at the expense of the problems and possible solutions at hand. You responded that you didn't watch more than the first few minutes. Did Newt's super-pac request that of you? I'm betting that your demographic (those who tuned in for the first round of questions) is something tracked by candidates and in that respect, again, Newt's disdain at the first questions is a complete fallacy. He knew the question was coming. He prepared for the question and he had it lobbed up there served up for an easy slam dunk and smothering anything substantive he or anyone may have had to say after that point. Newt should send CNN a big check and a resume in case he loses in November.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm not so sure that all the debates combined would tell you where the republicans would lead the country. The back grounds of the candidates can be revealing but not even that will give a reliable prediction.
I may be influenced by location. Since I'm on the Illinois/Iowa (first in the nation caucus) border, I feel like I've seen and heard all of them a thousand times already and expect it is the same for everyone else.

My point was that Newt's "despicable" remark was just silly. This is the time and place we live in and the politics of the day reflect it. We are all about the political horse race at the expense of the problems and possible solutions at hand. You responded that you didn't watch more than the first few minutes. Did Newt's super-pac request that of you? I'm betting that your demographic (those who tuned in for the first round of questions) is something tracked by candidates and in that respect, again, Newt's disdain at the first questions is a complete fallacy. He knew the question was coming. He prepared for the question and he had it lobbed up there served up for an easy slam dunk and smothering anything substantive he or anyone may have had to say after that point. Newt should send CNN a big check and a resume in case he loses in November.

The question was silly. I'm sure Newt did expect a question regarding his past love life at some point and made a decision on how to answer without answering.After all it has been in the news a lot lately. Any smart candidate would anticipate that. To suggest that it was an intentional lob from CNN to help Newt is far fetched at best.
The only time I got a call from Newt's anything, I hung up before they got started, just like I did when zer0bama's and Perry's calls came in.

No one knows who turned off the debate at a given time or specially why.

I may be influenced by location. Since I'm on the Illinois/Iowa (first in the nation caucus) border, I feel like I've seen and heard all of them a thousand times already and expect it is the same for everyone else.
I'm sure that has something to do with it. I figure the over saturation of ads and such are coming soon to TV stations near me. Texas being a predominantly republican state may have an effect as well. On the state level many elected positions rarely have democrats file for election. (no, I don't like that situation).

bbsam

Staff member
The question was silly. I'm sure Newt did expect a question regarding his past love life at some point and made a decision on how to answer without answering.After all it has been in the news a lot lately. Any smart candidate would anticipate that. To suggest that it was an intentional lob from CNN to help Newt is far fetched at best.
The only time I got a call from Newt's anything, I hung up before they got started, just like I did when zer0bama's and Perry's calls came in.

No one knows who turned off the debate at a given time or specially why.
I'm not suggesting that it was an intentional lob on CNN's part, just that it's timing was exactly what Newt WANTED. He knows his strengths and he knows his audience. After that performance (and it was a performance), who is going to care that Newt sat on a couch next to Pelosi? Nobody in that arena. Newt's fire sucked the oxygen out of every other candidate on stage.

I'm not suggesting that it was an intentional lob on CNN's part, just that it's timing was exactly what Newt WANTED. He knows his strengths and he knows his audience. After that performance (and it was a performance), who is going to care that Newt sat on a couch next to Pelosi? Nobody in that arena. Newt's fire sucked the oxygen out of every other candidate on stage.

stickwave.gif
stickwave.gif

moreluck

golden ticket member
Other than spending our money like a drunken sailor on a 3 day pass, how has Michelle Obama been a negative for our country?
Her sour attitude, like at the flag ceremony at the 10th anniv. of 9-11. A "lip reading" moment. She's never been proud of her country her entire life 'til '08....so she says.

I happen to think pride in your country would be a prerequisite to being a great first lady.

She was in the pews of hate at Wright's church too. You can't have that venom flowing over you and it not sink into your pores.

We all do our part with the country's financial trouble. We moniter our personal finances closely. She's oblivious when she wears $500 shoes to ladle soup in a soup kitchen. There are many, many signs of her extravagance on our dollars. It stinks!

moreluck

golden ticket member
Aren't there rules on how super pac money can be spent? Like for campaigning only? I think what UpState was referring to is all the vaca's. Even if the zer0bamas pay for part of the trips themselves, it is our money that provides all the travel expenses and security. And we're not talking about peanuts here. I would not be surprised if there was an unwritten law(or maybe even a written one) that presidential travel expenses are off limits to cuts.
It was said that the Hawaii trip was $4 million.

island1fox

I am not hung up on Michele Obama and I am sure that the job for any "First lady" is not easy.
I did have to laugh at a news report that stated : Michelle Obama is extremely mad that people have described her as a Mad Black Woman !!
I do not know exactly how Mrs Obama stated it but I am sure the news person did not realize how stupid her statement was.

moreluck

golden ticket member
According to Wikipedia:

The president earns a $400,000 annual salary, along with a $50,000 annual expense account, a $100,000 nontaxable travel account and $19,000 for entertainment.[SUP][70][/SUP][SUP][71][/SUP] The most recent raise in salary was approved by Congress and President Bill Clinton in 1999 and went into effect in 2001.
As an aside....

2010 A.G.I. of $1,728,096
2009 A.G.I. of $3.78 million

bbsam

Staff member
I am not hung up on Michele Obama and I am sure that the job for any "First lady" is not easy.
I did have to laugh at a news report that stated : Michelle Obama is extremely mad that people have described her as a Mad Black Woman !!
I do not know exactly how Mrs Obama stated it but I am sure the news person did not realize how stupid her statement was.
How does a "mad black woman" behave that a "mad white woman" does not?

moreluck

golden ticket member
I don't think Newt's remark was silly. These "news characters" think they are god almighty when they are up there asking the questions. Even George with the unspellabe long name from CNN said one of his questions about conception to Romney was on a bet.
I'm glad the media got scolded. They are more serious at a spelling bee. The debates are part of the process. If you aren't interested, then watch Die Hard and don't tune in.
I find them to be interesting and a very fast 1:45 hours for me.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Her sour attitude, like at the flag ceremony at the 10th anniv. of 9-11. A "lip reading" moment. She's never been proud of her country her entire life 'til '08....so she says.

I happen to think pride in your country would be a prerequisite to being a great first lady.

She was in the pews of hate at Wright's church too. You can't have that venom flowing over you and it not sink into your pores.

We all do our part with the country's financial trouble. We moniter our personal finances closely. She's oblivious when she wears $500 shoes to ladle soup in a soup kitchen. There are many, many signs of her extravagance on our dollars. It stinks!

Michele was in the pews of a church and Calista was in the backseat of Newts car just before newt would go home for a dinner his wife cooked... Yeah, theres a difference.

Peace.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How does a "mad black woman" behave that a "mad white woman" does not?

Another coded term that means stereotyped angry black woman. If someone is angry, they are angry, black or white. It's just a "clever" way for The Right to try and make Mrs. Obama out to be "ghetto" at heart. It really bugs them to have a Black First Lady, especially one that is smarter and more articulate than the white ones that preceeded her.