Orion, does it work and if not? Why?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
We have no picnic table. We used to until a fired driver came back to work when reinstated, sat down and it broke. He hurt his back was off another 7 months, Karma is a wonderful thing. Now we cant have no picnic table, they are outlawed.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Kind of off topic. We had two accidents today, bring your earplugs tomorrow. We were told to stay out of parking lots with ice:annoyed2:, Ok it has been heavy snow, then melting, then cold again, and sheets of ice. These drivers will be brutalized at the pcm, and tomorrow is my 20 yr safe driving date. What could I do to prevent an accident, I should stay home.
But in all seriousness, the hardest part of this job right now, is the stress of watching every moment under your wheels. I tried to stop at one place, and first gear, sliding, neutral sliding, I just slid on by.
We are so engrained to get every stop off, it is hard to just say screw it tomorrow is another day. But seems that is what they want. This new ec whatever, is not something we are used to, and some of us, are engrained in service! Isnt risk a cost of doing business?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I don't anything UPS until my start time.
Exactly, and no I dont know what it said. I was not on the clock. You want me to go look now, because I am the big truck and I have to move first. But I can do it if you want, otherwise its like opening a Christmas present, and time to GO.

wayalex

When I got my orion ride I was told they were going to put a monitor in from the beginning but with a big emphasis on distracted driving it was decided that it would not be a good idea

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Yes some of us are easily distracted. I see stray dogs, I am distracted, I want to go give them big kisses and take them home. I see poor little kids, I want to go buy them a coat. I am not allowed to bring home any more strays, kinda sad. I have enough love for all of them. But who needs another distraction beside the safety messages that say it is slippery out there. Like ya I just realized that.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
When I got my orion ride I was told they were going to put a monitor in from the beginning but with a big emphasis on distracted driving it was decided that it would not be a good idea
Last thing they want is you looking at your ORION monitor while you are unnecessarily backing into a residential driveway?

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
Last thing they want is you looking at your ORION monitor while you are unnecessarily backing into a residential driveway?
yes but then they want to know why it took you 10 minutes. Granted I dont back but I dont have 100 ft drives, or more. And if I did I wouldnt walk them, you know dogs, etc.

10 point

We have no picnic table. We used to until a fired driver came back to work when reinstated, sat down and it broke. He hurt his back was off another 7 months, Karma is a wonderful thing. Now we cant have no picnic table, they are outlawed.
Must of been a feeder driver? JK of course.
:holycowsmile:

Last edited:

10 point

Yes some of us are easily distracted. I see stray dogs, I am distracted, I want to go give them big kisses and take them home. I see poor little kids, I want to go buy them a coat. I am not allowed to bring home any more strays, kinda sad. I have enough love for all of them. But who needs another distraction beside the safety messages that say it is slippery out there. Like ya I just realized that.
Stray kids?
Some of them bite too.

Kissing the dogs on my old metro route would be like filming the Elf hugs the raccoon scene but adding 100# and longer teeth to the raccoon.

Last edited:

10 point

Ok, if its in the cab, how much will the time between stops cost them, while we try to figure out wth they want us to do "that" And really it cannot be in the board, as we have to be watching our walkpath... its no different than walking and reading your phone, or driving and using a gps. It takes your eyes off your safety, and will it show up as viewing while idling, or viewing while driving. Or some other acronym, like vwi, or vwd. Its enough to scramble the brain, if you let it.
It just may have it's own camera and will be watching you watching it.

Ron Carey lives on

No need to over analyze orion. As more and more big wigs from the company retire, more and more management with less and less driving experience move up. The skill of being a good driver goes out the window. Its numbers,numbers,numbers. Orion is a debacle, and they will realize it to late

Sent using BrownCafe App

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
No. It'll take more than 1 "Tom" because it'll take longer to deliver the equivalent stops that the normal driver would deliver. With these technology changes, presuming that's what the changes are, it'll take more time in between stops.

Don't think that new drivers arent using their smartphones to find their next stop already.
It will take Tom, Dick and Harry to replace 1 driver. But after a month, it will just take Tom and Dick. After a few more months, it will just take Tom. And he will be at $15/hr.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
It will take Tom, Dick and Harry to replace 1 driver. But after a month, it will just take Tom and Dick. After a few more months, it will just take Tom. And he will be at $15/hr.
This job is grind and most of us went through a part time grind to get here.
The weak were weeded out as part timers, as well as the qualification period.
It won't be as simple as you are making it, and at $15/hr, the turn over rate will make the "Tom, Dick and Harry" process repeat itself far to often to make it desirable for the company.

Last edited:

10 point

They walked off the job and quit at peak earning more $/hr.

The company will need a lot more trucks and supes if that's the game plan.

The real issue is will the IBT try to impose it upon us as a believable scenario. That's the bigger issue IMO.

Looking at their track record lately doesn't spawn trust or faith that they have our backs as much as they take care of their own tranquility.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
This job is grind and most of us went through a part time grind to get here.
The weak were weeded out as part timers, as well as the qualification period.
It won't be as simple as you are making it, and at $15/hr, the turn over rate will make the "Tom, Dick and Harry" process repeat itself far to often to make it desirable for the company.
Yes, but the threat is there and the Union knows it. It will not be just 1 last, final, best offer front UPS on the next contract, but the Union has lost a lot of its bargaining power because of Tom, Dick and Harry scenario.

With PAS, preloaded can be easily replaced. Unloaded same way. Sorters will be harder to replace but can be done.

Feeder drivers are the easiest to replace. Now with ORION, the package car driver can be replaced.

It is all a bargaining tool for the next, and subsequent contracts. The threat of a strike won't have the impact that it once did.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Orion as it exists today is a total failure.
Yes it is but it can get the job done, for the most part. Seeing as they spent over $1B on it, yes it is a total failure.

They have 3 years to get it better though, before the next contract.

That is why they are only pushing 85% compliance. They know it is failing. What will it be like in 3 years though.

Good enough to be a bargaining tool.

Irishman Collins

Yes it is but it can get the job done, for the most part. Seeing as they spent over $1B on it, yes it is a total failure.

They have 3 years to get it better though, before the next contract.

That is why they are only pushing 85% compliance. They know it is failing. What will it be like in 3 years though.

Good enough to be a bargaining tool.
Yea, I can see it now with our current leaders. They will be saying since the job is less complicated and the decision making by drivers has been greatly diminished. That is why we agreed to a 10 year progression for part timers and a dollar less an hour for pkg car drivers but your " Teamcare" deductibles have been increased.

Overpaid Union Thug

So far I've noticed that the only people at UPS that think ORION works are either UPS desk jockeys or drivers that havent even run enough enough routes on ORION to accurately form an opinion. The rest of us know better. I mean these are same idiots that think that having the preloaders circle PALs, write the sequence numbers in chicken scratch with a sharpie on the box, then hide the PALs is going to shave misloads. No wonder they think ORION works. Let alone worth the investment. Man I tell you UPS is being destroyed by a bunch of overeducated, naive idiots that live in a fantasy world of metrics and purple unicorns.