Orion, does it work and if not? Why?

10 point

We are to lose a million dollar acount p/u and delivery do to orion , they receiving and be picked up at 3pm. The used to get their packages at 10am and a pick up at 4 15pm

Sent using BrownCafe App
Same idiots running the systems?
Arrogance in business has shown them losses with how they handled edd. Mismanagement is more damaging than higher labor costs at times.

10 point

What you are referring to is a classic way that companies break unions. In the end it is up to our negotiators to find a reason other than new hires being topped out at 25 dollars an hour to strike. There is no way in our selfish world we live in that people will care enough to strike for the "unborn". The problem is that our current administration has already started this process, i.e, additional part time progression for full time wages and benefits. This is one of many reasons that a new administration must be voted for. Our Union is weaker than it has ever been and we must do something before it is too late.
The union here will cause their own break up without honest leadership.

40 and out

This is only a scenario. A backup plan if the Teamsters take a hard line next contract.

UPS is just showing the Teamsters that they don't need them. A negotiating tactic.

But if push came to shove???
Teamsters and take a hard line. Talk about 2 things that don't go together.

I reserved judgment on Orion for a long time. After all, a lot of company resources were spent developing it and who knows, maybe it would work if given a chance. I wanted to consider it with an open mind and allow it some time for adjustments, etc to be made. I think too many drivers were unnecessarily skeptical and unreceptive to it's initial implementation.

With all that being said, I've come to realize that it totally and unequivocally sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Irishman Collins

I reserved judgment on Orion for a long time. After all, a lot of company resources were spent developing it and who knows, maybe it would work if given a chance. I wanted to consider it with an open mind and allow it some time for adjustments, etc to be made. I think too many drivers were unnecessarily skeptical and unreceptive to it's initial implementation.

With all that being said, I've come to realize that it totally and unequivocally sucks.
Sometimes I wonder if Orion is set up as a crow flies or road g.p.s.. There are many times it leaves me scratching my head. I often think if I was able to fly, Orion might make sense but since I haven't developed wings yet. It all just leaves me delirious.

Inthegame

So you see, UPS will get their $25/hr drivers, one way or another. With or without the union.
With or without the union? You do know UPS proposed a $25 max for new hires in this last negotiation. They didn't get it because there is a union, a union that could have taken less in bennies and more in wages if dues money was all they were concerned with.
And here is the million dollar question.
Are you willing to strike for the the people not even working here yet, even though you will still make your $35/hr with full medical and pension?
Ahhh, the rare salient point on BC. You hit the nail Mug and the answer is no. The current negotiators know this, as do the "reformers" who want to be the next negotiators. Wonder how they'll answer the members complaints about the 2018 CBA's shortcomings if they get elected?

Irishman Collins

With or without the union? You do know UPS proposed a $25 max for new hires in this last negotiation. They didn't get it because there is a union, a union that could have taken less in bennies and more in wages if dues money was all they were concerned with.

Ahhh, the rare salient point on BC. You hit the nail Mug and the answer is no. The current negotiators know this, as do the "reformers" who want to be the next negotiators. Wonder how they'll answer the members complaints about the 2018 CBA's shortcomings if they get elected?
Aahh......yea, in my area we did get less in bennies. Please try and get your areas straight. I am in an area where we were sold down the river. All I ask, is to clarify what area you are speaking of when it is concerning bennies.

Inthegame

Aahh......yea, in my area we did get less in bennies. Please try and get your areas straight. I am in an area where we were sold down the river. All I ask, is to clarify what area you are speaking of when it is concerning bennies.
All areas. In the quoted post I was answering the tired lament of posters who think the union negotiators were acting selfishly by increasing wages to increase dues income for the IBT. HC Benefits for some changed to a different (lesser) plan but costs increased as did contributions to benefit plans. Had the IBT been only interested in dues income they could have moved the bennie increase of $40 a week per year into wages, reaping increased dues. But they didn't.
So what river were you sold down?

10 point

We're still waiting for answers on this one my brother.
#1. Why a four year progression for pt to ft? What did we get in exchange for that?

#2. Why is surepost still being sent to the po when pkgs are (well) over the 10# limit and duplicate stops are sent there too?

Start there please. Thank you.

10 point

There's a building in our local that pt works on average 14 yrs to get a chance to get a ft job.

That's 18 yrs out of thirty at less than ft wage. Is this what the next generation gets to look forward to?

I get the medical issue with healthcare costs rising but a four yr progression is bull crap unless you're hired off the street as ft.

Inthegame

We're still waiting for answers on this one my brother.
#1. Why a four year progression for pt to ft? What did we get in exchange for that?
Increases in all start rates (pt and ft) and yearly progression rates. The $25 top out proposed only lasts one year and then moves to full rate.

#2. Why is surepost still being sent to the po when pkgs are (well) over the 10# limit and duplicate stops are sent there too?

Start there please. Thank you.
Shouldn't be happening. Have you filed?

10 point

Shouldn't be happening. Have you filed?
I filed in December for a whole week of subcontracting and I'm filing on Monday again because I found another 23# pkg.

Of course, our BA says the company won't give him the info I required for that week (three months ago).

These are factual statements. Never had the local level hearing because of someone's foot dragging. What's missing in this picture itg?

Inthegame

There's a building in our local that pt works on average 14 yrs to get a chance to get a ft job.

That's 18 yrs out of thirty at less than ft wage. Is this what the next generation gets to look forward to?
And some locals have part timers that have gone FT much sooner. Every contract for thirty years has increased opportunities for PT's over the previous contract. And this for members that historically don't take the monumental effort to bother to vote.
18 years out of 30 at less than a FT wage is because they're not FT. Why should PT's make FT wages?
4 yr progression sucks. But the last year is $25, a bit more than most pt's are getting pt.

10 point

The company's 120 period to implement was over last summer.
And some locals have part timers that have gone FT much sooner. Every contract for thirty years has increased opportunities for PT's over the previous contract. And this for members that historically don't take the monumental effort to bother to vote.
18 years out of 30 at less than a FT wage is because they're not FT. Why should PT's make FT wages?
4 yr progression sucks. But the last year is $25, a bit more than most pt's are getting pt.
SOME locals.

I didn't say pt should be paid at ft wage levels. I said the opportunity for them to become ft is less and the single day vac coverage drivers are delaying the process as well.
Smaller centers struggle with ft opportunities vs hubs.
The hiring of drivers has increased last year due to staffing debacles last peak and SOME folks seeing surepost changes but that's not the case everywhere.

10 point

BTW, I don't see a great resolution on surepost abuses unless someone gets hacked off about it way above our level.

Where's the teeth and repercussions language on SP abuse and who is going to get it fixed before long?
I'm sorry but it looks like great language without major repercussions for the co breaking the CBA.

Inthegame

I filed in December for a whole week of subcontracting and I'm filing on Monday again because I found another 23# pkg.

Of course, our BA says the company won't give him the info I required for that week (three months ago).

These are factual statements. Never had the local level hearing because of someone's foot dragging. What's missing in this picture itg?
Good luck on the subcontracting during peak. They'll claim they used every driver, but I wish you well. At least you're trying.
Why is the company not providing info? What is the excuse?

10 point

Good luck on the subcontracting during peak. They'll claim they used every driver, but I wish you well. At least you're trying.
Why is the company not providing info? What is the excuse?
The only answer the BA gives is that "they're not giving me the info you've requested". That's it.

I have documented duplicate stops and proximity stops that I was delivering that same day being sent to the po.

I did the documentation on my own but can't be sure I got it all without the info I requested.