Orion..

Coldworld

60 months and counting
ORION is expected to reduce operating costs by US$300 million to US$400 million a year once it is fully implemented in the U.S. in 2017. More than 70 percent of the company’s 55,000 U.S. routes are now using the software, with an average daily driving reduction of between six and eight miles. To put this into perspective, UPS can save US$50 million a year by reducing by one mile the average aggregated daily travel of its drivers.

I'm just a simple truck driver, but I don't see how this math works. If you only count weekdays, that is 261 days, times 55,000 routes makes 14,355,000 miles, for a 1 mile reduction per day, per route, over a year. Here is where it gets tricky. What is the avg mpg for the fleet? Let's say five. So divide the 14.355 million by 5, that's 2.871 million gallons of gas for a 1 mile reduction per route, per day, over a year. Now, how much does UPS pay for a gallon of fuel? Let's say $2.50. OK, that's a little over $7,000,000. That's not even close to the $50 million they are claiming, and to achieve the $300 to $400 million that would mean a reduction of over 40 miles per route, per day.
Numbers can be manipulated in many ways and these fools are masters at it

Holydriver

Also the amount of time you pay the driver to dig through the shelves finding the box.
this is going to be the killer. i currently load up about 20 stops in delivery order on my 1000-2000 section then run thru them. if i am required to follow orion legitimately, or if current RDO option is removed, i will stop doing anything smart liek arranging stops and just pull pieces as come to a stop. so what if i drive up the 1/4 mile drive way and cant find the package. ill just have to go back later. it will implode on them if this happens

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
this is going to be the killer. i currently load up about 20 stops in delivery order on my 1000-2000 section then run thru them. if i am required to follow orion legitimately, or if current RDO option is removed, i will stop doing anything smart liek arranging stops and just pull pieces as come to a stop. so what if i drive up the 1/4 mile drive way and cant find the package. ill just have to go back later. it will implode on them if this happens
If you can take the time to line up 20 stops now, you can take the time to find the next few stops with Orion so you don't end up in that situation.

CharleyHustle

Do you go into PKG and look at the miles YOY every morning?

As just a simple truck driver again, I'm assuming that "YOY" means year over year. So I'm assuming that you are comparing last years miles with today's miles for your center. Now, my opinion would be that you would be flunked and laughed out of any math department, for making such an abstract comparison. The amount of variables that could effect that number is huge. Its like saying last April 7th the temperature was 53 degrees and today it is only going to be 35 degrees so we're going to have an ice age. Or reverse it and the world is going to burn to a crisp.

Just look at your division numbers in you last post. Simply taking 5 more stops per rout per day to the post office could easily produce that amount of reduction of miles. Simply changing the day of the week YOY could have greater effect. Certain deliveries like lottery tickets that all go out on the same day can make huge differences in stop counts and miles driven. Given the small sample size from this site you could make the assumption that fewer and fewer drivers are even trying to follow ORION anymore. To sum it up, you are going to have to come up with a lot more concrete numbers to convince anyone, let alone drivers, that ORION is doing what you say.

Holydriver

RDO is still an option for us. I turn orion off everyday. I heard eventually that RDO will go away and that is gonna suck major balls
Still an option here too but I've been noticing that RDO now has pieces all out of whack and order. It used to run smooth like the route should be ran, but now it'll have neighborhoods out of order. As if they're trying to gradually ween us off of it

Holydriver

We still have RDO but I've also heard it won't be an option anymore in the near future. But UPS hates idle time so that might help bring it back.
By idle time do you mean time with the engine idling or do you mean time not actually making the delivery? Like package selection time? Because I can't see how oirion would cause any more engine idle

Overpaid Union Thug

By idle time do you mean time with the engine idling or do you mean time not actually making the delivery? Like package selection time? Because I can't see how oirion would cause any more engine idle
Meaning.... not moving at all. They can see it. I show up on the report for that almost every day because after lunch I clock back in and move all of my packages forward and clean up the messes. That takes anywhere from a couple of minutes to 10. A lot of, if not most, our drivers will spend some of their lunch fixing their loads and sorting. I am not gutless like them and refuse to work for free.

I've had loads that were so bad I was back there 20 minutes. If we go out with Orion and RDO is not an option exert center's idle time will Skyrocket. People will either spend more time in the truck between stops or will stop in larger increments to clean things up.

barnyard

KTM rider
If we go out with Orion and RDO is not an option exert center's idle time will Skyrocket. People will either spend more time in the truck between stops or will stop in larger increments to clean things up.

Agreed.

This week I am doing a route that is an epic Orion failure. Everyday, I have to skip at least 8 stops to avoid late air. Then I have to decide which areas to leave for after the pick ups.

Last week and the week before, I ran routes that I might have flipped a couple of stops, but ran it pretty close.

Should be able to join the 9/5 list this week, so there is that, too.

Holydriver

Agreed.

This week I am doing a route that is an epic Orion failure. Everyday, I have to skip at least 8 stops to avoid late air. Then I have to decide which areas to leave for after the pick ups.

Last week and the week before, I ran routes that I might have flipped a couple of stops, but ran it pretty close.

Should be able to join the 9/5 list this week, so there is that, too.
You say this as if 9-5ing is a good thing.