Overwhelming

oldupsman

There's an old war movie from the 50's called "Twelve 0'clock High." It's about B-17 pilots in WWII.
The commanding officer tells his pilots "Listen we need to get the job done. Forget about going home.
Just consider yourselves dead already." It's sorta like that. Forget about having a life during the week.
Make no plans whatsoever. Just go to work everyday knowing you're going to work 12 hours.
And speaking for myself, once I got that into my head, it really wasn't so bad. And like Rod says,
big checks are nice.

U

uber

Day- 3

Coming along decently. An address 101 tutorial that my dad gave me made things much easier. Organizing pickups and getting the timing down to a science is still a process. Backing up that damn thing at docks is bitch, too.

Logb17

Ive been full time driving for about a year now. I already knew the diad. After a couple days youll wonder why you thought it was tough. The hardest part is when you get done with your training route. ive done 24 routes already in less then a year. Eventually you get a hang of how all the addresses work, so when you go out cold, its not to bad. You will be terrified the first time you see your name next to a new route. Try not to sweat it to much. For the first 2 months off the training route I would get so stressed in the morning before going into the office, I would get shaky. Learn as many routes as you can in your first 6 months, it will make the next 6 easy. To bad its getting dark early now though..

The Blackadder

Are you not amused?
After 2 weeks its a lot better. You will daily you look at the map much less, you will start to get number breaks. Now peak is a buddy* for all of us long hours and so forth. It also helps to have other drivers to talk to you, we have all been there before.

Good luck.

71Fish

Day- 3

Coming along decently. An address 101 tutorial that my dad gave me made things much easier. Organizing pickups and getting the timing down to a science is still a process. Backing up that damn thing at docks is bitch, too.

What is the Adress 101 tutorial? Finding addresses is tough sometimes.

Argize

I'm sure you probably already do this, but try to talk with ALL the guys that cover the route you're running. They can give you great tips on lunchtime closings, when to break off for pickups, what to hold etc. Not to mention priceless things like so and so works at the Elementary School and likes you to leave her pkgs there.

Also carry Alpo Snaps, it's the top choice of dogs all across America! :wink2: