Package car start time?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I'm a loader at a large hub...300+ drivers. The unload starts at 430..our start time is 510.. which is bull because by 510 my slide is packed. Driver pcm is 9am..but we'll still getting smalls, air and irregs down the belts at 915 when they start cutting us out. Anything for managment to make their numbers.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Our PCM is at 840 every morning and typically lasts 5 minutes. If preload was done I could pull out at 845...however my truck is almost never ready. I have 2 options after PCM...go load the last 40% of my own truck so I get out by 9ish or let the loader do it and leave at 910ish with everything just thrown into the back on the floor (including 1000 2000 3000 stuff etc). As much as I hate it I end up loading my own truck. On days that I dont it easily adds 45 minutes to my day and I cant find anything.

If you want to get management's attention, (and maybe a little grief) code into sort and load when you're wrapping your truck.:laughing:

didyousheetit

lunch is automatically deducted whether you key in DIAD or not, so that 30 min lunch time you are working you will not be paid for. (in my center)

Thats what I thought. However, not in our center that stopped at least five years ago, since we received our second class action settlement check. They only push you to record one minute so it shows we were offered lunch. By the way our lunch period is one hour is yours only 30 min?

Notretiredyet

If you want to get management's attention, (and maybe a little grief) code into sort and load when you're wrapping your truck.:laughing:
I did that today skilled sort/load from 0905 to 0925, 2nd time this week I've loaded. Messaged the center at 1445 that I was taking my lunch, (pickups start at 1520 and run till 1800) and they needed to send someone out to finish my commercial deliveries. Happens once or twice a week, there seems to be a problem with my dispatch ever since they moved my start time from 0830 to 0900.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Speaking of the pre-load not being wrapped up by 9:00am--This is something I could never figure out. Most everyone here acknowledges that the part timers are low paid (whether or not they agree). Why does the company keep pushing their start times back, and reducing their hours? Why wouldn't UPS take advantage of this cheap labor, and hire enough employees in order to get the drivers on the street at a reasonable time with a decent load?

because paying for health care is more expensive than just working drivers to death

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
lunch is automatically deducted whether you key in DIAD or not, so that 30 min lunch time you are working you will not be paid for. (in my center)

Thats what I thought. However, not in our center that stopped at least five years ago, since we received our second class action settlement check. They only push you to record one minute so it shows we were offered lunch. By the way our lunch period is one hour is yours only 30 min?

Really is gonna be interesting if this new law with mandatory 30 minute break takes affect.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Speaking of the pre-load not being wrapped up by 9:00am--This is something I could never figure out. Most everyone here acknowledges that the part timers are low paid (whether or not they agree). Why does the company keep pushing their start times back, and reducing their hours? Why wouldn't UPS take advantage of this cheap labor, and hire enough employees in order to get the drivers on the street at a reasonable time with a decent load?

because paying for health care is more expensive than just working drivers to death

What does healthcare have to do with anything? Do u even think before you speak? I hope the answer is no because very little if what you say makes any sense at all.

We aren't saying hire more workers(although this could work because turnover is so high many never get benefits). We are saying start the preload 30 minutes earlier. 30 minutes for a preloader at $15 and hour is $7.50. If you add 30 minutes to a drivers day 99% of the time that's going to be OT pay. We don't have under 8 hour days anymore. $47 an hour for a driver for 30 minutes equals $23.5.