Package handler twilight.

lasveagsups

Do par-time package handlers on the twilight shift get 30 hours a week? I worked at FedEx and they always wanted me to stay at least 5-6 hours each shift.

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
that varies a lot. Most hours is like preload loading cars or loading any trailer destined for preload aka last leg. These shifts can run as low as the guaruntee of 3.5 hours (5 to 8:30) or as long as 10 hours (12 midnight to 10). They typically get more hours because suprise suprise the packages are on their last leg and are mixed and damaged, marked up all to hell. Easier to get the cattle off the clock fast if it's an inbound sort.

Twilight these days you'd be lucky to get 3.5 hours without filing a grievance. One of our stewards talking about how some folks in management are falsely talking about the guaruntee only being 3 hours as if it were the airport operation.

Last edited:

BobJ

This is one of those questions that can only be answered by someone working in the same building.

My building's twilight sort is sandwiched between day and night so it can't run more than 6hrs Mon-Thu, but can be extended to 10hrs on Friday. Averages 30hrs a week.

lasveagsups

I was hired on with a shift that ranges from 12pm - 6pm or 1pm - 5pm, but here is the thing there is another shift I applied for that is 4:00 pm - 10:30 pm, so I am curious that if I am already at work from 1 pm - 5 pm is there a chance they’ll ask me to stay over into the next shift too, after all I am already there.

hondo

promoted to mediocrity
I was hired on with a shift that ranges from 12pm - 6pm or 1pm - 5pm, but here is the thing there is another shift I applied for that is 4:00 pm - 10:30 pm, so I am curious that if I am already at work from 1 pm - 5 pm is there a chance they’ll ask me to stay over into the next shift too, after all I am already there.
Yes, working a second shift might be available to you (it might be referred to as 'double shifting'). There may be sign up sheets posted somewhere for the extra work.

PT Car Washer

They advertise that a shift is from 4 to 10PM but in reality it may start at 5PM one week and 5:30 the next week and finish at 9PM. Normally in my building we have 3 different start times in the same week. You are guarantied 3.5 hours a day and your PT sup will try to limit you to that. Even if they have to shave some time off of your paycheck.

BobJ

They advertise that a shift is from 4 to 10PM but in reality it may start at 5PM one week and 5:30 the next week and finish at 9PM. Normally in my building we have 3 different start times in the same week. You are guarantied 3.5 hours a day and your PT sup will try to limit you to that. Even if they have to shave some time off of your paycheck.
During the same day, they also have staggered start times where a few come in 15min early to set up, and others arrive 15min late waiting for volume to reach the belts.

We have an old timer who comes in 2hrs late waiting for re-tapes to pile up and stays after everyone is gone to process damages.

It can be a pain to have a 2nd job when the schedule is so erratic. That's why I put pillows in the back of my SUV in case I had 4hr lunches between jobs, since day sort start times ranged from 9am to 12pm between Peak and Spring.

BobJ

They can extend your current shift for more hours but they can't force you to do multiple shifts. They will ask for volunteers to work double shifts. Triple shifts (in a row) are not allowed.

Also, most managers will understand if you tell them you're only available between certain hours because of school/family/2nd job obligations; unless they hate your guts. Just be consistent. "Reliable."

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
They can extend your current shift for more hours but they can't force you to do multiple shifts. They will ask for volunteers to work double shifts. Triple shifts (in a row) are not allowed.

Also, most managers will understand if you tell them you're only available between certain hours because of school/family/2nd job obligations; unless they hate your guts. Just be consistent. "Reliable."
We have quite a few that work triples here.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
We have quite a few that work triples here.

Summer 2020 I knew an inside guy who worked over 24 hours straight. I show up one morning and he was there working preload. Did my route went home ate slept and came back the next morning and the dude hadn’t left. Wasn’t moving very fast at that point tho 😂

Thebrownblob

Summer 2020 I knew an inside guy who worked over 24 hours straight. I show up one morning and he was there working preload. Did my route went home ate slept and came back the next morning and the dude hadn’t left. Wasn’t moving very fast at that point tho 😂
As a part timer, me and a couple other guys had a bet who could stay the longest I made it 17 hours one of the other guys made it 19 hours. Of course after about 12 I was worthless. should’ve sent me home lol. Thankfully they were Supervisor’s working and they didn’t have much choice.

Red Devil

The Power of Connected
As a part timer, me and a couple other guys had a bet who could stay the longest I made it 17 hours one of the other guys made it 19 hours. Of course after about 12 I was worthless. should’ve sent me home lol. Thankfully they were Supervisor’s working and they didn’t have much choice.

Lol yep most I ever did on preload was about 12. Don’t miss it

MattM

What’s the pay rate like at 24 hours worked? Is there a reset or is it all OT after five until you clock out?
Op, management as per the union contract, is entitled to provide you with a weekly starting schedule the Friday before for the following week
It’s OT after five. End times are based on workload and worker availability. You could be out with 2 hours (fight for your 3.5
Or 3). Or you could stay upwards of 6-8 hours with no real choice to leave.

Most sups seem to be accommodating for leaving early for various issues if you are reliable and show up on time to start the time. If you’re late and want to leave, that’s a problem.
Try not to have a second job within 7 hours of your ups start time (to play it safe). A lot of start and end times depend on the weather elsewhere too. If the louisville hub is delayed, the whole ups air network is delayed.

Sacrificial Lamb

Package Shepherd
How??? :censored2: must have been getting that sweet OT. I would not be doing that :censored2: out west.

BobJ

Officially, no. In practice, yes.
I worked over 21hrs three times, and over 15hrs numerous times. It's always the same story...

I would come in at 3pm on Sunday, and be the only one who showed up to work. I call the manager and he tells me to stay as long as it takes to finish. 12hrs later, I am still there to start Preload at 4am.

My all-time record is 21.5hrs. straight. 3pm to 1230pm.

They coded it as two different days, Fri+Sun & Mon x 2 (four shifts, 22.3 combo).... so I got 9.5hrs OT.

Last edited:

Nah
I worked over 21hrs three times, and over 15hrs numerous times. It's always the same story...

I would come in at 3pm on Sunday, and be the only one who showed up to work. I call the manager and he tells me to stay as long as it takes to finish. 12hrs later, I am still there to start Preload at 4am.

My all-time record is 21.5hrs. straight. 3pm to 1230pm.

They coded it as two different days, Fri+Sun & Mon x 2 (four shifts, 22.3 combo).... so I got 9.5hrs OT.
That sounds like some sketchy timecard manipulation. Should've brought it to the attention of the BA.