Part timer, over time after 8 hours?

Discussion in 'UPS Union Issues' started by Moneythehardway, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Ok I've been working at UPS awhile now, but this is the first year I've gone over 8 hours in ONE shift, no clocking out or double shifting. (part time sorter) which should equal around 3 hours of OT (if anything over 5 hours for Ptimers is OT) , however when I check my paycheck it only has OT after 8 hours! I did a total of 9 1/2 hours one day, and I see on my check it is 1 1/2 hours OT instead of 4 1/2 hours.

Now someone at my hub did mention that if you go over 8 hours it will be OT after 8 instead of 5 hours but I thought that was only the case if you either double shift, are full time or have to clock out for some reason and clock back in. But he's a regular parttimer like me so i didn't know what to make of it until I notice my check short of OT hours.

So how does that work? Is it true that as a part timer, any work after 8 consecutive hours is only counted as OT after 8 hours or should it still be after 5 hours? Thanks for any help in advance. I'm in the Southeastern region if that helps

2. Macbrother

Macbrother Member

Check your local supplement. Under the Atlantic supplement, where I am, anything over 5, no matter what, is overtime. Some regions this is not the case.

3. PT Car Washer

PT Car Washer Well-Known Member

In the Central Region it is OT after 5 hours a day.

4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

There are parts of the country where the union and company have agreed that OT for PTers starts after 8 hours during Peak only.

5. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

If it is not written in the contract about the 8 hour agreement it should be anything after 5

6. UpstateNYUPSer

It would be in the supplement.

7. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

Hey upstate can you tell me what article its in?

8. PT Stewie

PT Stewie "Big Fella"

In our suppeliment ,Phily Metro when you work doubles it is OT after 8

9. UpstateNYUPSer

It's a supplement only in the affected districts.

10. Ouch

Ouch Well-Known Member

[quot="UpstateNYUPSer, post: 1242886, member: 12570"]It's a supplement only in the affected districts.[/quote]
    Does It state double shift or a single shift?

11. UpstateNYUPSer

Does It state double shift or a single shift?[/quote]

I am not in one of the affected districts so I have no idea what it says.

12. HBGPreloader

HBGPreloader Active Member

Grieve it.
    IMHO, if you were working a double shift, you would have been afforded breaks/meals according to your local supplement.
    If you weren't granted these breaks per your supplement, overtime should have been paid after 5 hours.
    If they give you a hard time, and your state has such a law, just mention that most states require a half hour lunch when working an 8 hour shift.