Pas & Preload

DS

Fenderbender
How do they stand on the belt? The belts are waist high when standing at the level of the back bumper of the truck right? God would that be a disaster if someone ever accidentally turned it on.
No, the belt is at the same height as the back of the truck.

25yrvet

some of this could be rectified by the company going BACK to the colored label. In addition to the rt # on the sticker, it would be colored. NDA should go back to this also. Anyone besides me still use the hilite tape on a NDA p/u??

drewed

Shankman
This will all be fixed one day when UPS invests in RFid tags in its labels, there would be a censor in the trucks (trailer, ULD whatver) and it would yell at you if you tried to load into the wrong one

BigBrownSanta

Just a couple of questions about misloads/missed packages.

1. I have heard that a missed package isn't automatically refunded to the shipper unless it's missed three times. Does anyone know for a fact that this is true or false?

2. When a sup takes my misloads, but they do not get delivered, are they still missed pieces or are they put into the system as exceptions and given reasons for non delivery to avoid being seen as missed?

drewed

Shankman
Just a couple of questions about misloads/missed packages.

1. I have heard that a missed package isn't automatically refunded to the shipper unless it's missed three times. Does anyone know for a fact that this is true or false?
I dont think its refunded unless the shipper asks for a refund.

2. When a sup takes my misloads, but they do not get delivered, are they still missed pieces or are they put into the system as exceptions and given reasons for non delivery to avoid being seen as missed?
they are still missed and are exceptioned, i imagine they use one that wouldnt show red flags on a report.

drewed

Shankman
So are you saying it's refundable after the first miss or does it have to be missed three times?

Anything that is UPSs fault can be refunded. So an adult sig no adult there not refundable, wrong address/missing apt number thats a shipper issue.
If theres a commitment time/date of a delivery and its missed do to misload, tractor break down, canceled flights, late trailers that all can be refunded. If its a missed delivery the three attempts shouldnt count since the vast majority are cosignee issues

Delays due to weather are not refundable

LaUpser

i got pulled in the office many of times on that but since then i been doin ok. all i do is pull of the pal label and reposition it so its facin of and during break and before i go i do a qik sweep and that cut down on my misloads form like 6 a day to 2 to none so its just how bad u wanna do good and stay at ups.

Jigawatts

We just started to launch the PAS system in our building a few weeks ago and I've been loading a new area using the system for a little over a week. Today a sup asks me to sign a paper acknowledging that the two misloads where my fault. I felt pressured and reluctantly signed, but if asked again tomorrow, I won't sign.

2Slow

We just started to launch the PAS system in our building a few weeks ago and I've been loading a new area using the system for a little over a week. Today a sup asks me to sign a paper acknowledging that the two misloads where my fault. I felt pressured and reluctantly signed, but if asked again tomorrow, I won't sign.

Never sign stuff like that.

Did you ask for a steward? Why not?

Not that it really matters for you guys. It's so hard to get part timers around here that they could be drinking tequila and peeing on the packages and I'm not sure they'd get fired.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Typically, it is more important for management to assign blame for a problem than it is to actually fix it.

Your sup lacks the authority to solve the underlying problems that are the root cause of misloads (excessive workload, overcrowding, understaffing, poor planning etc.) So instead, he bullies you into signing a piece of paper taking the blame for something you may not have had anything to do with. He can then show that piece of paper to his boss and take credit for "doing something" about the problem.

I would suggest you avoid signing confessions in the future. They serve no purpose other than to provide your management with ammunition to use against you.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
The biggest reason for service failures in my building is overcrowding. My facility was built in 1987 and was, in theory, designed to park 124 routes. It was overcrowded and obsolete 6 months before it ever opened. In typical UPS fashion they did it on the cheap and got what they paid for. We now run over 200 routes a day out of this craphole. The overcrowding means that my car and pup trailer are loaded outside off of an MDU and the routes adjacent to me are in totally different loops 50+ miles away. If I get a misload, there is no way I can make service on it. My preloader is trying to load 7 bulky routes in an overcrowded MDU with no stack tables and no place to put bulk. He has been set up to fail. I have asked to be parked next to the other routes in my loop, where misloads could be exchanged at the airdrop and delivered, but the extreme overcrowding makes this impossible. Its a lot cheaper and easier for management to hand a warning letter to a 19 yr old making $10.50 an hour than it is for them to actually solve the problem and serve the customers.

The biggest reason for service failures in my building is overcrowding. My facility was built in 1987 and was, in theory, designed to park 124 routes. It was overcrowded and obsolete 6 months before it ever opened. In typical UPS fashion they did it on the cheap and got what they paid for. We now run over 200 routes a day out of this craphole. The overcrowding means that my car and pup trailer are loaded outside off of an MDU and the routes adjacent to me are in totally different loops 50+ miles away. If I get a misload, there is no way I can make service on it. My preloader is trying to load 7 bulky routes in an overcrowded MDU with no stack tables and no place to put bulk. He has been set up to fail. I have asked to be parked next to the other routes in my loop, where misloads could be exchanged at the airdrop and delivered, but the extreme overcrowding makes this impossible. Its a lot cheaper and easier for management to hand a warning letter to a 19 yr old making $10.50 an hour than it is for them to actually solve the problem and serve the customers.
You could take this post and change a few words here and there and explain 90% of the problems we have at UP$.

old levi's

blank space
some of this could be rectified by the company going BACK to the colored label. In addition to the rt # on the sticker, it would be colored. NDA should go back to this also.

Anyone besides me still use the hilite tape on a NDA p/u??

I do that also. Can't let go of the "old school" mentality.

longlunchguy

Runnin on Empty
I haven't seen a roll of highlight tape in our building in 5 years! Most of our misloads DO NOT involve NDAs because we have to verify them before we leave the hub in the morning. You just have 30 drivers trading packages before they start their day.

Jigawatts

Never sign stuff like that.

Did you ask for a steward? Why not?

Not that it really matters for you guys. It's so hard to get part timers around here that they could be drinking tequila and peeing on the packages and I'm not sure they'd get fired.

I've been around long enough to know not to sign that stuff
without consulting the steward, but I was in the kind of mindset
yesterday that I didn't care if they fired me or not. Just a mistake
I made in the heat of the moment.

And like you said, you have to try really hard to get fired. I never
tried drinking tequila and peeing on packages, it sounds like fun
though.:happy-very:

W

westsideworma

Typically, it is more important for management to assign blame for a problem than it is to actually fix it.

Your sup lacks the authority to solve the underlying problems that are the root cause of misloads (excessive workload, overcrowding, understaffing, poor planning etc.) So instead, he bullies you into signing a piece of paper taking the blame for something you may not have had anything to do with. He can then show that piece of paper to his boss and take credit for "doing something" about the problem.

This is due to the things that would alleviate most of the problems cost more money lol. I've seen a direct correlation between PPH and misloads, but good luck tying to convince anyone of it. My guys are doing well but on days where its really heavy and they go faster to keep up, I've noticed more misloads. I've pushed my loaders' start times as early (meaning I'm giving them more time) as I am allowed and those guys rarely have misloads. When someone is getting 1100+ pieces, starting them at 4:30 and wanting them done before 8:30 is madness. Especially when most of their work doesn't arrive until 7am (late loads that directly affect my area).

W

westsideworma

How do they stand on the belt? The belts are waist high when standing at the level of the back bumper of the truck right? God would that be a disaster if someone ever accidentally turned it on.

actually at some hubs that belt is running. Its supposedly one of the only belts you can walk on (so I was told) as it runs at a very slow speed. I'm not sure if this is really true to be honest as I've never worked the twi sort (who uses that metro belt). Ours turned on once because the securing terminal wasn't working (as we found out)...from that day forward I've always hit two switches to safe lol.

As DS said the belt is flush to the rear door of all the trucks, its basically a platform for preloaders to pull from the boxline and walk into the cars, when standing on the ground the belt is about to my knees, maybe couple inches or so higher or lower

W

westsideworma

You could take this post and change a few words here and there and explain 90% of the problems we have at UP$.

our building was designed to run about 80 routes (inside off the boxlines). It was probably more than that when we ran a lot of smaller trucks (closer to 90) as I believe this building is something like 40/50 years old. we now run about 125 on a daily basis during the light times and it goes up to 150+. However as soberups said the loading facilities for those extra routes are rather crude. The PDCs (package car docks attached to trailer doors) were ok when we first got them, now the rollers are all old and rusted. They used to work great, now much less so. There is no room to stack really and it just becomes a mess. I loaded in one for PEAK once (when they were new) and I liked it because you were left alone to do your job. This is due to the PDCs being out in the farthest area of our building (the finger as we call it). The MDU we have also has that luxury and even less space to load stack things when you get a straight shot of a bulk stops.

Ghost in the Darkness

Any inside tips or contract rules I should know so we can protect ourselves?
Learn how to read... that is your best prevention. Loaders these days just aren't that good. Loaders who were only average when I was still loading are now the better loaders and lot of it was because they were trained before PAS came in. Loaders need to understand that PAS is unreliable, they NEED to read the label we scan. I get bad pal labels everyday... a lot of postal deliveries are paling to the destination instead of the Post Office which more often than not turns into a misload because its not in my area.
Sorry but my expectations are high, I rarely misloaded (1 every 6 months if that) so I don't want to hear excuses... stop talking with your buddies or turn your ipod off if those things are a distraction. The PAS system screwups, the misloads, and the splits that aren't getting pulled are result of someone failing at their job. Not all those are the fault of the loader but they play a part. Match-up the label and PAL on every package, let your driver know if you didn't have time to pull a split and know which truck you are in when loading. Loading isn't difficult when u give it your careful concentration.