Past Practices

mauiguru

Ok, couldn't find too much on this topic or none at all. This is a long one so please pardon the rambling.

I have been an Air Ramp Person at OGG for 12 years. During my interview I informed HR and Ramp Supervisor that I started my full time job at 6 am. I got hired with the understanding if the plane was late I would be allowed to clock out or leave for my job.
This practice was acceptable for myself and other employees who needed to leave. There also has been some turnover with supervisors. This is like my 4th or 5th supervisor. Each successor has allowed myself and other employees to leave early.
During the first few years the plane would rarely be late or have some kind of mechanical problems. When this happened the supervisor would get us all together and and ask each employee (Seniority>Neewbie)who could stay late. If, no one or not enough employees could stay late than the decision was the lowest seniority had to stay. Now this practice went on for about my first 5 year. The practice kinda went away with the present supervisor. Also, the past HUB supervisor also, directed his employees to assist (support) with the unloading of the plane when the ramp was short handed. but, because of the poor relationship with both department supervisors, that practice does not happen today or is even considered. There is NO contingency Plan if the ramp is short handed today.
Anyways, too make a long story short, we got audited the other day. And the plane was 2 hours late. Obviously, he told the auditor that a few employees would have to leave for other jobs. So a PCM was called and the auditor spoke and said the following, "As an employee of the UPS, the policy states, you are all responsible for supporting the plane regardless if the plane comes in late and you must stay, or you will receive CONSEQUENCES if you leave. I left as well as others did. The next day the plane again was 2 hours late. Auditors were on site again and obviously, I had to leave.
For the past two months our supervisor has carried our time cards to control clocking out to early. (this was more targeting 1 employee). Anyways, when I requested my time card the second day, he told me that he couldn't give me my time card because I was leaving early and if I left, he quoted me "if you leave early you are walking out on your shift and you will be written up."
Auryte, I contacted my Steward and BA. Have a meeting Monday.
Now, I have made sacrifices during my 12 years, taking personal, sick even vacations to accomadate late or broken planes. I really like my job on the ramp and planned to retire with UPS, don't like all the bull:censored2: from the supervisors but, hey that's life. I'm a hard and positive worker but, I believe my supervisors is making up rules along the way and that auditor only made things worst. Obviously, it is hard to find employees who are willing to wake up 2 am everyday. Supervisors know when they hire employees that have second jobs.

Pass Practices for 12 years and CBA Section 3, Article 3(b)
Do I have a case?

N

Nothing by 1030 anymore

A wise man once told me...it's not the job that sucks...it's the supervisors or bosses that make it suck...you had some sympathetic bosses for awhile that were human.. Now you have the opposite..hopefully they will move on

542thruNthru

I don't believe you leaving at a certain time everyday will fall under past practice.

Working at UPS is a pain for PT. It's hard to find a second job that puts up with UPS weird hour fluctuations.

Good luck.

clean hairy

Only way to know is to contact your local and find out if a grievance is worth filing.
Instead of trying to make the book "War and Peace' seem like a short story, consolidate.
"I have been on the air ramp 5 yrs and allowed to leave at 6am for my full time, even if a plane was late."
"After supervisors coming and going and a recent audit,
I am threatened with discipline if I leave early"
Would past practice apply in my case?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Ok, couldn't find too much on this topic or none at all. This is a long one so please pardon the rambling.

I have been an Air Ramp Person at OGG for 12 years. During my interview I informed HR and Ramp Supervisor that I started my full time job at 6 am. I got hired with the understanding if the plane was late I would be allowed to clock out or leave for my job.
This practice was acceptable for myself and other employees who needed to leave. There also has been some turnover with supervisors. This is like my 4th or 5th supervisor. Each successor has allowed myself and other employees to leave early.
During the first few years the plane would rarely be late or have some kind of mechanical problems. When this happened the supervisor would get us all together and and ask each employee (Seniority>Neewbie)who could stay late. If, no one or not enough employees could stay late than the decision was the lowest seniority had to stay. Now this practice went on for about my first 5 year. The practice kinda went away with the present supervisor. Also, the past HUB supervisor also, directed his employees to assist (support) with the unloading of the plane when the ramp was short handed. but, because of the poor relationship with both department supervisors, that practice does not happen today or is even considered. There is NO contingency Plan if the ramp is short handed today.
Anyways, too make a long story short, we got audited the other day. And the plane was 2 hours late. Obviously, he told the auditor that a few employees would have to leave for other jobs. So a PCM was called and the auditor spoke and said the following, "As an employee of the UPS, the policy states, you are all responsible for supporting the plane regardless if the plane comes in late and you must stay, or you will receive CONSEQUENCES if you leave. I left as well as others did. The next day the plane again was 2 hours late. Auditors were on site again and obviously, I had to leave.
For the past two months our supervisor has carried our time cards to control clocking out to early. (this was more targeting 1 employee). Anyways, when I requested my time card the second day, he told me that he couldn't give me my time card because I was leaving early and if I left, he quoted me "if you leave early you are walking out on your shift and you will be written up."
Auryte, I contacted my Steward and BA. Have a meeting Monday.
Now, I have made sacrifices during my 12 years, taking personal, sick even vacations to accomadate late or broken planes. I really like my job on the ramp and planned to retire with UPS, don't like all the bull:censored2: from the supervisors but, hey that's life. I'm a hard and positive worker but, I believe my supervisors is making up rules along the way and that auditor only made things worst. Obviously, it is hard to find employees who are willing to wake up 2 am everyday. Supervisors know when they hire employees that have second jobs.

Pass Practices for 12 years and CBA Section 3, Article 3(b)
Do I have a case?
I would think as long as the first person allowed to leave is the most senior person, you don't really have a leg to stand on.

A past practice is something that has been allowed and known by both management and employees and affect the work group. It has to be a practice that is taking place during a portion of at least two contract periods. It carries the weight of an article in the contract. It is hard to prove. An example would be a local won a past practice that management was required to give them a turkey since it was done for over 90 years.