Pay Raises are now Official

55+

I have 12 years and getting 3%. The courier next to me has 15 years and currently makes about .50/hr less than me. So he'll get 3% also. My thought is they should have used years of service as a guide to the raises, not current pay.

No, it will never happen, welcome to the world of big business. I don't agree with everything the company does.....never have. I don't 'spin things the company's way'. I'm just a realist that sees a lowly courier has no say in the big decisions. FedEx doesn't do anything any other large corporation does, we just see it more because we work there. You may think the grass is greener on the other side, but I'll wager you'll hear different from the people that work there.

You're right...A lowly courier has no say in big decisions..However thousands of lowly couriers do and can have a say in big decisions...It has to start somewhere..and it appears signing the card is the place to start.

Abbadabba

I'm a part time driver for HD. I also work in retail full time. I'd kill to make 20 bucks an hour at express. Though I agree FedEx should be unionized, you guys aren't making bad money.

whenIgetthere

I'm a part time driver for HD. I also work in retail full time. I'd kill to make 20 bucks an hour at express. Though I agree FedEx should be unionized, you guys aren't making bad money.

Not all of us make 20 bucks an hour! I have 12 years and not even at $17! People off the street are only a couple bucks behind me!

vantexan

No, it will never happen, welcome to the world of big business. I don't agree with everything the company does.....never have. I don't 'spin things the company's way'. I'm just a realist that sees a lowly courier has no say in the big decisions. FedEx doesn't do anything any other large corporation does, we just see it more because we work there. You may think the grass is greener on the other side, but I'll wager you'll hear different from the people that work there.
Really? Name the large corporations who push their people as much as FedEx does us and doesn't reward them? Name the corporations who've spent millions to get Congress to keep us from unionizing? Why in such hard economic times do we have so much turnover of newhires? They quickly realize they're expected to hump all day in return for no future. Come on spinmeister, tell me some lies...

CharleyHustle

LTFedExer;929142FedEx doesn't do anything any other large corporation does said:
I not sure about this because here at UPS we make twice as much, have great beni's and a pension to boot. Throw in pretty fair job security (unless you like to pitch packages on camera). Oh yeah, top out is what? 3 years? And, at least mine anyway, the truck is full everyday. Don't get me wrong, its not paradise, I mean there are much better gigs out there, but certainly much better than a "lowly courier".

Wait, maybe you don't think UPS is a "large corporation".

LTFedExer

Not all of us make 20 bucks an hour! I have 12 years and not even at $17! People off the street are only a couple bucks behind me!
13+ years, $17.64hr.
Then you are being shafted.
Depends on where their working. I'm in the 'E' market and make $19.61 (3 cents below getting 5%). If I was still down south, I believe I'd be somewhere in the $17.50 range.

Really? Name the large corporations who push their people as much as FedEx does us and doesn't reward them? Name the corporations who've spent millions to get Congress to keep us from unionizing? Why in such hard economic times do we have so much turnover of newhires? They quickly realize they're expected to hump all day in return for no future. Come on spinmeister, tell me some lies...
Do a Google search sometime and see how many large companies are being sued for making their employees work through their lunch and/or work overtime without getting paid, discrimination, etc. Some things may be borderline, but not illegal. And please tell me what lies I've posted.

I not sure about this because here at UPS we make twice as much, have great beni's and a pension to boot. Throw in pretty fair job security (unless you like to pitch packages on camera). Oh yeah, top out is what? 3 years? And, at least mine anyway, the truck is full everyday. Don't get me wrong, its not paradise, I mean there are much better gigs out there, but certainly much better than a "lowly courier".

Wait, maybe you don't think UPS is a "large corporation".
I didn't say every company. But, there's plenty of large corporations that flout the law. Sodexo, Hospitality Staffing Solutions, Walmart, Dole, Hershey's to name a few. While most may not agree with FedEx's practices, they're not illegal.

vantexan

Do a Google search sometime and see how many large companies are being sued for making their employees work through their lunch and/or work overtime without getting paid, discrimination, etc. Some things may be borderline, but not illegal. And please tell me what lies I've posted.

When you say that FedEx is no different than any other company then you are lying. I never said life in other corporations is a bed of roses. But name one that requires as much of their employees as FedEx and goes to such great lengths to squeeze as much out of the employees for as little pay as possible? By the way, if you are always defending them while calling us "lowly couriers" one can only conclude that you are either a manager or a wannabe.

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Speaking of pay raises.
Can anyone get a hold of the chart that shows each market level and what the pay is?
I just found out there we're in level friend so, right dead in the middle. My manager was waving around a chart that showed every market and exactly what the pay was. He wouldn't give us copies of it.

Anyone here able to get a hold of that?

Ricochet1a

I've got that chart...

Market Level friend 3rd Quartile is $20.96 after the base 3% in March (above this amount and you get an additional 2%).

Market Level friend 4th Quartile is $23.10 after the base 3% in March (above this amount and you get an additional 3%).

Backing out the 3%....

If your pay is BELOW $20.34 right now - you'll only get the base 3%.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Speaking of pay raises.
Can anyone get a hold of the chart that shows each market level and what the pay is?
I just found out there we're in level friend so, right dead in the middle. My manager was waving around a chart that showed every market and exactly what the pay was. He wouldn't give us copies of it.

Anyone here able to get a hold of that?

While you're asking, maybe you can ask him how much he makes.

SmithBarney

Mr7, management wasn't supposed to distribute it, but our manager, made copies for everyone...
it's going to be hard for someone to "post" it without repercussions.

Ricochet1a

Mr7, management wasn't supposed to distribute it, but our manager, made copies for everyone...
it's going to be hard for someone to "post" it without repercussions.

Precisely - that is why I'll quote off of it, but not put up a PDF of it.

The reason the 6 page memo isn't supposed to be released is that it displays in vivid detail the differences between the market levels. FedEx doesn't exactly want that circulating around the stations in the lower half of the market level scheme - thus why the memo is supposed to be for management eyes only - as sort of talking points memo. It actually has a "question and answer" format, where potential employee "questions" are listed and recommended management responses are given.

There is nothing earth shattering about the contents of the memo, FedEx just doesn't want employees to have a clear picture about how the company manipulates employee compensation in differing locations.

There is an "inside joke" in Memphis regarding wage employees.

"Why are wage employees like mushrooms?"

"Both of them are the most productive when they are kept in the dark."

This is the reason I've posted here periodically - to help shed some light into that FedEx created darkness.

I put up the break points back 2 weeks ago for those who were interested...

Sooner or later, the Express wage employees will either get fed up with what is going on and decide to actually sign union cards rather than "talking trash about Fred" - or they'll learn to like the taste of that turd sandwich that is being served up.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

The reason the 6 page memo isn't supposed to be released is that it displays in vivid detail the differences between the market levels. FedEx doesn't exactly want that circulating around the stations in the lower half of the market level scheme - thus why the memo is supposed to be for management eyes only - as sort of talking points memo. It actually has a "question and answer" format, where potential employee "questions" are listed and recommended management responses are given.

There is nothing earth shattering about the contents of the memo, FedEx just doesn't want employees to have a clear picture about how the company manipulates employee compensation in differing locations.

There is an "inside joke" in Memphis regarding wage employees.

"Why are wage employees like mushrooms?"

"Both of them are the most productive when they are kept in the dark."

This is the reason I've posted here periodically - to help shed some light into that FedEx created darkness.

I put up the break points back 2 weeks ago for those who were interested...

Sooner or later, the Express wage employees will either get fed up with what is going on and decide to actually sign union cards rather than "talking trash about Fred" - or they'll learn to like the taste of that turd sandwich that is being served up.

To keep the light bulb at 10 watts is just fine for most employees, because they really don't want to see the carpet of rat feces that exposure to a 100 watt light would show. That's how I envision the Memphoids...like rats scurrying around in their own crap.

SmithBarney

Would Love to see what they use to calculate the different market levels, I've been at several STA in the past 5 years.
and each was the same level, although my Cost of living was drastically different between all of them.

vantexan

Would Love to see what they use to calculate the different market levels, I've been at several STA in the past 5 years.
and each was the same level, although my Cost of living was drastically different between all of them.

It's not an exact science, but first and foremost they pay the lowest they can pay and still attract workers. If the local economy is strong with competition for employees then they pay more. Or if an area is so expensive, like the West Coast and the Northeast, that they have to pay X amount just to attract workers, then they pay more. And if an area is expensive but considered highly desirable, like popular towns in the Rockies, they'll often pay the lowest payscales because they can always draw off people who want to live there and are willing to take anything just to hang on. Doesn't matter if you have to commute from an hour away to find affordable housing, etc, take it or leave it.

After spending time in some beautiful places I decided that it doesn't matter how nice they are if you can't afford them. And that with today's technology I can live just about anywhere as long as I have Internet and satellite tv. FedEx just doesn't pay enough to enjoy living in the really nice towns I like.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

The reason the 6 page memo isn't supposed to be released is that it displays in vivid detail the differences between the market levels. FedEx doesn't exactly want that circulating around the stations in the lower half of the market level scheme - thus why the memo is supposed to be for management eyes only - as sort of talking points memo

Are they trying to keep us in the dark by making this info available to us? Anyone with intranet access should be able to access this info without any problem.

It shows min/max pay for each pay code in each market level for hourly positions. It also shows the same for exempt and non-exempt salaried positions and it includes midpoint and quartile breakdowns.