Peak Fail 2.0 Has Made Headlines

turbostixxx

Brown Santa
I think I have made maybe an hour of overtime all week. I got my last stop off at 4 PM the other day, I'm not seeing any of these problems here. This week has been so light, it makes me uneasy. I feel like I'm standing on the beach waiting for a tidal wave to come in. Human nature will take hold and a lot of people will wait until the last minute to order stuff and then gripe if they don't get it in time. Surely our competition would face the same problems we have in certain areas.
I overheard one of the ladies in the office calling all of the helpers this afternoon, confirming they would be showing up on Monday because it is expected to be heavy here. This on the same day half the center is gone by 1700 and mandatory Sunday.

PAS'd out

This ain't rocket science
Local news in southern region.. morning news had segment about ups delivery delays due to volume.

What a joke.
I have an idea.. put more drivers on the road.
Exactly. The reason for delays is not volume but rather UPS not willing to spend the money to properly train temps prior to peak and hire the proper amount of employees to handle the volume. The company imposed a hard stop count for our building on Monday, once that number was reached the trailer doors were shut and the drivers were sent out with delivery volume left in the yard until Tuesday.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I overheard one of the ladies in the office calling all of the helpers this afternoon, confirming they would be showing up on Monday because it is expected to be heavy here. This on the same day half the center is gone by 1700 and mandatory Sunday.
Monday is gonna kick our ass

Trackless in brown

Will working a Sunday be triple time????
Also if there saying you "have to" work Sunday, and your don't want to, just call in on Sunday and tell them your not working..its that simple...you cant get fired for calling in sick, no matter what day it is.

turbostixxx

Brown Santa
Will working a Sunday be triple time????
Also if there saying you "have to" work Sunday, and your don't want to, just call in on Sunday and tell them your not working..its that simple...you cant get fired for calling in sick, no matter what day it is.
Oh Really now? Tell that to the FT driver who was fired for calling in last sunday when they were told it was mandatory. Of course it was a working termination. Also, Sunday is double time, so even though everyone in our center is griping a little bit, we will all be there, the money is needed around Christmas time.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Exactly. The reason for delays is not volume but rather UPS not willing to spend the money to properly train temps prior to peak and hire the proper amount of employees to handle the volume. The company imposed a hard stop count for our building on Monday, once that number was reached the trailer doors were shut and the drivers were sent out with delivery volume left in the yard until Tuesday.
Disagree. Most of the delays are simply because the building just can't handle the volume.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Oh Really now? Tell that to the FT driver who was fired for calling in last sunday when they were told it was mandatory. Of course it was a working termination. Also, Sunday is double time, so even though everyone in our center is griping a little bit, we will all be there, the money is needed around Christmas time.
Working Terminations arent worth the paper they are written on. Its just a cheap Third Rate Scare Tactic.

upsgrunt

Simple question:
Unless you have rolled trailers on the lot, and you work on Sunday, where does Monday's volume come from?

turbostixxx

Brown Santa
Simple question:
Unless you have rolled trailers on the lot, and you work on Sunday, where does Monday's volume come from?
It's magic....

We run 7 hours on Sunday, nothing more, unless you are told it is mandatory (volunteers are not counted in the following) if you are told it is mandatory, you can tell them you want your 8, then you run 8. Volunteers are told it is a non-guaranteed day before they volunteer. We usually do about 100-140, and most business routes are cut. I know they were saying we were ahead of schedule this week, rolling no volume. Today we had trucks leave the hub with 130-150 stops with no trailers rolled on the lot...

upsgrunt

It's magic....

We run 7 hours on Sunday, nothing more, unless you are told it is mandatory (volunteers are not counted in the following) if you are told it is mandatory, you can tell them you want your 8, then you run 8. Volunteers are told it is a non-guaranteed day before they volunteer. We usually do about 100-140, and most business routes are cut. I know they were saying we were ahead of schedule this week, rolling no volume. Today we had trucks leave the hub with 130-150 stops with no trailers rolled on the lot...

Ok, but you didn't answer the question of where does Monday's volume come from.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
Monday is gonna kick our ass

I dropped an ARS off today, and was talking to my old center manager and on-cars. There is also a new (as in Frigid) on-car at the building now who hasn't been through a real peak.

They told me that Monday and Tuesday were brutal, both days heavier than peak last year. Then, volume dropped for the rest of the week.

All but the new guy are scared, just waiting for the crap to start to fly.

Be careful out there, folks. The ride is just about to begin.