Peak is here?

bad company

semi-pro
Worked 6 hours today delivering nothing but 1DA , 2DA, and Savers from yesterday that did not get delivered. Also got a call from my helper who informed that he has been rehired to start working again on Monday as a helper. Our preload has a 2 AM start time on Monday as well. Bring your cooler and sleeping bag folks, it's going to be a long day!

tieguy

Banned
Wednesday pickup volume was very heavy. This due to our having a holiday monday while most of our large shippers worked. We basically recieved two days pickup volume in one day. Tsunami pickup wave. Large shippers were working due to end of month and end of year clearance and the gift cards / incentives mentioned previously. So delivery volume should have been heavy thursday/ friday and maybe monday too. Once that one day surge in pickup volume clears the system you should see volume levels stabalize.

bad company

semi-pro
Wednesday pickup volume was very heavy. This due to our having a holiday monday while most of our large shippers worked. We basically recieved two days pickup volume in one day. Tsunami pickup wave. Large shippers were working due to end of month and end of year clearance and the gift cards / incentives mentioned previously. So delivery volume should have been heavy thursday/ friday and maybe monday too. Once that one day surge in pickup volume clears the system you should see volume levels stabalize.

That explains the increased volume, but it does not excuse managements' poor planning and execution of the operation. If all this volume was picked up Wednesday, and it is all scanned and the data is downloaded into our vast information network, wouldn't management know that the forecast will be significantly larger than normal or anticipated?

A: If so, why does it seem like it came out of no where? Hubs and centers nationwide were totally unprepared and unable to adjust their respective operations accordingly. We can and need to do better.
B: If not, why not? We can and need to do better.

How can we advertise and offer our customers a service called Quantum View (Quantum View® is a portfolio of visibility services designed to provide proactive status information about UPS shipments) when we ourselves cannot take advantage of our own visibility technology?

We (UPS) tend to be reactive and not proactive with the majority of our operation. It should be the other way around.

Last edited:

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I agree, they are acting like we are still using sysm, something that we used before pcs, and let us know how heavy our volume was coming in. Back when the center mgr could have geared up for it and used his ability to cover it, something that worked much better, than getting hit, with no way out.........But NOOOOO>>>> some unknown with a pc and a cup of Java in his hand will tell us how. God could only hope they monitor this site, but they must not or they would get the pulse of the hourly who do the work and realize, hey these people care, maybe we should try letting the center run itself, as needed. We need to be more on top of things with the vast network we have. Seems like the dispatcher in Atlanta had too much bubbly to deal with a billion dollar company that would hit the streets Wednesday morning. I only had one late delivery from my end, that I sent out before Christmas, so for the most part, we do a great job. OUr team was hit unexpectedly with pkgs sitting and no one able to get in early enough to deliver it..And management instead of doing their jobs, and letting their work sit, were out doing hourly work. And not as efficiently as we could have done it........we would not have had cars much less bodies to do it. Get those sales leads in people....in a few weeks we will be lite:whiteflag: JMHO

upsgrunt

My question is: isn't there any accountability in IE? Shouldn't they lose their jobs for poor performance? When volume is below what is projected they have no problem cutting routes, but when it is the other way they do nothing but let the chips fall where they may. If we drivers screwed up as much as IE did there would be a lot less of us if you get my drift. Hell, even a weather person has a better forecast success percentage than our IE. If UPS wants to save money so bad fire the bean counters and let the centers run themselves. To use several quotes from other members on this site: Tieguy- "if you have good people working for you, give them what they need and get the hell out of the way", and someone who said "We don't need new bosses, but rather new leaders". I have been around long enough to know that UPS trusts no one, but how long is it to realize that maybe we can't trust IE? I mean they will pitch and pass any idea they can dream up to convince corporate that it will save money when it rarely does. To keep their jobs, they just keep raising the bar for the people WHO ACTUALLY HAVE TO DO THE WORK! The real money savings would be to fire them, pocket the difference and let the center leaders decide what works and doesn't.
Sorry---where's the Tylenol?

Brown Dog

Brown since 81
We had close to 40% extra volume at our center. mgmt acted surprised, said they didn't know where it came from. I had NDA's late Thursday and Friday. Couldn't clean on Thursday in 11.99 hours, ONLY had 10.99 hours on Friday but had a runner all day. Too bad IE wasn't held accountable as we are, They would all be fired!:dissapointed:

It was peak again here also in Northern Nevada. Practically everyone was in the red. Left the building at 915 in the middle of a winter storm with gust up to 65mph and 100mph on the mountain pass where we deliver to. It rained all day until around 3 or 4 it was like working in a hurricane. Spent most of the day bagging all the deliveries that would fit into a bag or knocking on doors for the ones that would'nt.:headache::headache: After all the rain, wind and flooding in some areas the snow came:snow: By 600 the centers were messaging for all drivers to come in immediately.The mountain and ski resort drivers were called in before 300. Not a fun drive back to the center for us in white out conditions that caused numerous highway closures. By Saturday morning we had up to 10' feet in the mountains and anywhere from 8" to 2' on the valley floor. As of right now it has still been snowing off and on continuing into Sunday and another storm expected on Monday. Just glad we all made it home safely to our families:thumbup: Monday should be fun.

lost

100,000 over projected!!!! Thats about 6 months volume in our center. How many drivers are in that bldg?
around 260 I think I know there are 50 in my center 70 in another not sure about the other 2 centers, But I was talking about all 4 sorts combined

LKLND3380

around 260 I think I know there are 50 in my center 70 in another not sure about the other 2 centers, But I was talking about all 4 sorts combined

I have never counted here but we have about 40 preloaders (plus 10 or 12 unload/sorting and another 9 SPA/Clerk) so I would say we have 90 to 100 drivers... Not everyone loads three package cars some two and some four cars...

lost

I have never counted here but we have about 40 preloaders (plus 10 or 12 unload/sorting and another 9 SPA/Clerk) so I would say we have 90 to 100 drivers... Not everyone loads three package cars some two and some four cars...
Geez two cars??? Whats that like? We have people that have 6 on the norm and had 9 through peak.

LKLND3380

Geez two cars??? Whats that like? We have people that have 6 on the norm and had 9 through peak.

The people who load two cars are at the head of the belt... Part of their duties are to split the belts (IN/OUT) and not allow any miss sort or blank labels down the belt...

Our set up is different, (as I understand it) our building was one of the first to go on PAS... The feeders are unloaded and then sorted to one of three belts - Lakeland, Plant City & Winter Haven...

Once they come down the belts (after being sorted) they reach a SPA/clerk station and then go down the belt to be loaded...

As I understand in other buildings - the pacakages are SPA'd right off the truck before they reach the sort aisle...

lost

Yeah, ours is set up to spa in the sort isle just before it is sorted. I would like to be able to see how some of the other bldgs are set up. I think it would be interesting to see all the different set ups we use to achieve the same goal.

tups

This should be more like "The never ending peak of 2007-2008" Over 12 today, over 10 twice last week, over 9.5 once. It is completely ridiculous. I wish we could file a grievance for UPS being so stupid. This is beginning to get on my nerves.