Pick off raise on topic

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Interesting. Next time I'm in that section (as they will randomly send loaders over there to help), if I remember, I'll take a video so you can see it first hand.

No worries, I've seen the smalls scanning system you've described, and I can imagine what your pick off is like. No need to risk getting in trouble by taking video. Thanks though.

Nah
I did smalls, that was a skilled position. Maybe you guys have different pick off jobs. Ours consists of scanning and tossing packages into one, maybe two, trailers. It can get challenging sometimes, but to say it required skill is a stretch.

In the building where I picked off, each PD would have two pickoff stations with space for one person on each side of the belt. Pickoffs had to quickly sort based on human readable and sometimes zip code, then sort them to the trailers. Each station would pick off to approximately 5-6 trailers. That's the easy part. The challenge is managing your space without shutting the belt off when it gets heavy.

What you had sounds more like the guy we call a "splitter" in my current building. Which admittedly, is a pretty easy job.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
In the building where I picked off, each PD would have two pickoff stations with space for one person on each side of the belt. Pickoffs had to quickly sort based on human readable and sometimes zip code, then sort them to the trailers. Each station would pick off to approximately 5-6 trailers. That's the easy part. The challenge is managing your space without shutting the belt off when it gets heavy.

What you had sounds more like the guy we call a "splitter" in my current building. Which admittedly, is a pretty easy job.

Our center only loads trailers to two hubs, so there's that.

Yeet

Not gonna let ‘em catch the Midnight Rider

If you are using the SLIC to sort, you are a scrub. Was a pickoff for 10 years.

Justaloader

No worries, I've seen the smalls scanning system you've described, and I can imagine what your pick off is like. No need to risk getting in trouble by taking video. Thanks though.

Here’s our small sort - both the “bagger” position, and the sorter position.

I was over here for all of 15 minutes before our PD was overwhelmed and they had to pull me back to loading trailers.

Attachments

• B24449B5-7291-457F-8C43-78E5A1F3D82A.jpeg
    B24449B5-7291-457F-8C43-78E5A1F3D82A.jpeg
    121.1 KB · Views: 138
  • AF6CE0EC-3363-43DA-AC51-9CA40D854B19.jpeg
    AF6CE0EC-3363-43DA-AC51-9CA40D854B19.jpeg
    102.1 KB · Views: 181
  • 0A91A457-3A7E-4EB3-ABA8-6E4B765F4B11.jpeg
    0A91A457-3A7E-4EB3-ABA8-6E4B765F4B11.jpeg
    113.2 KB · Views: 187
  • FF56CABD-00A5-493C-9319-1C2AB8F7F590.jpeg
    FF56CABD-00A5-493C-9319-1C2AB8F7F590.jpeg
    90.7 KB · Views: 188

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Here’s our small sort - both the “bagger” position, and the sorter position.

I was over here for all of 15 minutes before our PD was overwhelmed and they had to pull me back to loading trailers.

I saw that system in a center near our driver training location, where a couple of classmates worked. Ours looks exactly like that without the scanner and lights.

PT Car Washer

I saw that system in a center near our driver training location, where a couple of classmates worked. Ours looks exactly like that without the scanner and lights.
Ours looks very similar and I am sure works the same way as our smalls sort. Believe it or not this system is a lot slower then a good sorter.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
Ours looks very similar and I am sure works the same way as our smalls sort. Believe it or not this system is a lot slower then a good sorter.

I used to have to sort and bag myself. I kept asking for a bagger, but they didn't get a permanent one until I left. They took advantage of me so much that I finally just bid on unload, and refused to do any extra work, or cover for other people until I became a driver. Pretty sure I was a contributing factor to 3 or 4 local sort sups quitting.