Pick your battles or raise hell?

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mugarolla said:

If it was pre-seniority drivers trying to qualify, I would let them run the "easier" route to help them out.Click to expand...
How is a pre-seniority driver trying to qualify.... by running other routes ?
Happens all the time. I know they try and keep them on the same route, but does not always work that way.

Mugarolla said:

I will try and look out for the other guy, but to a point.They are already qualified, so let them learn a couple more routes, the hard way, like most of us did.Click to expand...
Doesn't everyone do that ?

Apparently undies does not. What did he say...screw everyone else.

Stand up for yourself. Screw everyone else and focus on yourself. YOU will not get justice unless you force it at UPS.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
I spent 12 years as the senior cover driver. I knew every route inside and out. Most days I had pick of whatever route I wanted to run. Some weeks I would run 5 different routes. Through it all, management would always ask me what I wanted to do but then there were times that they would come to me and ask a favor. It all worked out in the end.
Now? I have had a bid route for about 4 months. I have actually run that route a couple of dozen times. Maybe.
It seems that management still views me as a cover driver. It is easier for them to throw me at a route than someone that is or should learn it. Be assured that I remind them of that fact every time that I am approached about running a different route than my own.
I could grieve it. They just cannot assume that I will come off my route to run another. However I must consider the fact that I have work. So what if it is not my bid route. I have something to do. Right?
You have something to do. Even though it may not be the route that you bid for the week it is something you know. You stated so yourself.
There will come a time, after less senior drivers learn more routes, that your seniority will come into play and you can use it to your advantage.
They don't ask me anymore to cover any routes, cause they know I will blow them up deep into the night. Every once in a blue moon they will ask me to run the route right next to my truck. I always tell them ill help you out today if your really in a bind and I cant weasel out of it, and I tell them it aint happening any more this week so don't even ask because you know you cant pull a bidded driver off his route more than 1 day a week per the contract lol.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
If it was pre-seniority drivers trying to qualify, I would let them run the "easier" route to help them out.
How is a pre-seniority driver trying to qualify.... by running other routes ?
Happens all the time. I know they try and keep them on the same route, but does not always work that way.

I would talk to your Local about that.

Short of a local agreement, that is a violation.

They don't ask me anymore to cover any routes, cause they know I will blow them up deep into the night.

The world would be a better place.... if more drivers used the company methods.

-Bug-

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
I spent 12 years as the senior cover driver. I knew every route inside and out. Most days I had pick of whatever route I wanted to run. Some weeks I would run 5 different routes. Through it all, management would always ask me what I wanted to do but then there were times that they would come to me and ask a favor. It all worked out in the end.
Now? I have had a bid route for about 4 months. I have actually run that route a couple of dozen times. Maybe.
It seems that management still views me as a cover driver. It is easier for them to throw me at a route than someone that is or should learn it. Be assured that I remind them of that fact every time that I am approached about running a different route than my own.
I could grieve it. They just cannot assume that I will come off my route to run another. However I must consider the fact that I have work. So what if it is not my bid route. I have something to do. Right?
You have something to do. Even though it may not be the route that you bid for the week it is something you know. You stated so yourself.
There will come a time, after less senior drivers learn more routes, that your seniority will come into play and you can use it to your advantage.
You have a bid route and you are letting them put you wherever? They will continue to walk all over you until you do something.

Few times a year they try to screw with me. I'm high cover man. I file every time on it. I've learned so many routes blind it's not even funny. Others can do it just the same.

I once had a new center manager go on and on about how I was terrible because I didn't run scratch. He said sup x says you have more route knowledge than anyone else and we can stick you on anything and you'll get through it. He said well route knowledge doesn't mean :censored2: to me I can put anybody on anything. You need to run scratch or you will be at panel.

Fast forward a few months. Sup x calls. We need you to run bob route instead of the route you bid on. I was the only one that knew bob route. I said you tell the center manager route knowledge doesn't mean :censored2: he can put anyone on anything. Well 14 hours later after help from 2 people and 14 missed stops I think I had made my point.

undies

Apparently undies does not. What did he say...screw everyone else.

Whoa. Don't take my words out of context. I'm referring to the OPs post, not making a general statement. I was second to last seniority for 8 years, I know plenty about being stepped over and pushed aside.

What'dyabringmetoday???

First 5 to 10 years pick your battles wisely and stay off the radar and don't be a hardazz 24-7, not worth it. Once you get past that stage it seems they don't screw with ya as much because now they got new meat to go after. I guess they figure you made it past the 10 years of constant mind games and your still there, you pass the mental strength test lol.
I respectfully disagree. Stand your ground in the early years and your later years will be better. Don't want to end up like The Great UpstateNYUPSer and having to go in early each day, buddy up with supervisors, do recycling, take lunch late and countless other things.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Mugarolla said:

If it was pre-seniority drivers trying to qualify, I would let them run the "easier" route to help them out.Click to expand...
BigUnionGuy said:

How is a pre-seniority driver trying to qualify.... by running other routes ?Click to expand...
Mugarolla said:

Happens all the time. I know they try and keep them on the same route, but does not always work that way.Click to expand...
I would talk to your Local about that.
Short of a local agreement, that is a violation.
A violation of what? It is not a contractual violation.

Due to call ins, they were short 2 drivers. The easiest route to take out and break up was the route the trainee was doing. They then needed to put him on the other open route, a 220 mile country route. There was no way a 10 day driver was going to get that route done. I volunteered to let him do my route, and I would do the country route.

My route was a small area city route. Delivered 200 packages, 110 stops, 50 miles, 7 pickups, a mix of small businesses and residential. The trainee was thrilled. He did not want to do the country route. He had no idea where he was going.

The only "agreement" that I know of is that if they have to have a trainee do another route, for one reason or another, is that this day would not count against him. He could run 4 hours over and UPS could not count that against him.

If I am incorrect, please show me the contractual language to the contrary.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Sorry. I guess you were telling the OP to take the attitude of screw everyone else, this is not necessarily your attitude.

Whoa. Don't take my words out of context. I'm referring to the OPs post, not making a general statement. I was second to last seniority for 8 years, I know plenty about being stepped over and pushed aside.

I was just curious if most of you on here pick your battles with contract violations and management actions or do you raise hell and call them out on everything?

I ask because I am one of the more senior ft cover drivers and sometimes I won't get a route I bid for the week because I know more routes then most of our cover guys. We have a lot of newer drivers. We street between 45-50 routes on average and at 15 months full time I have seniority on 13 drivers and two going for book now. I usually don't make a stink about it as I understand that there are only so many supes available to train new areas etc. On the other hand there are cover guys below me that push the issue on this and raise hell all the time sometimes just to make noise I think.

What's the better tactic? It seems to me my management team tries to be fair or help me out when I need it but the other squeaky wheels get dicked around just as much.

Choose your battles and go about it tactfully.

100% Trace

You gotta stand your ground and file. Don't pull your grievances, and in time they will begin to respect you. If they don't respect you...9 out of 10 times they will fear the fact of you filing. At least that is the consensus in our building. We just had a HUGE grievance payout. As stupid as it sounds they respect you more when you stand up for yourself.

Paid by the hour

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You gotta stand your ground and file. Don't pull your grievances, and in time they will begin to respect you. If they don't respect you...9 out of 10 times they will fear the fact of you filing. At least that is the consensus in our building. We just had a HUGE grievance payout. As stupid as it sounds they respect you more when you stand up for yourself.

While I am certainly not saying that you should let them walk all over you, you should try to work with them whenever possible. "Putting pen to paper" does not have to be the first thing you do.

100% Trace

Agreed. Unfortunately that's what road we have had to go in our center. Just speaking based off our own issues. Hopefully your labor climate is better than ours.

Paid by the hour

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
While I am certainly not saying that you should let them walk all over you, you should try to work with them whenever possible. "Putting pen to paper" does not have to be the first thing you do.
In the bubble of goodness maybe not. In 99% of other centers pen to paper is the only way to get anything done.

upsbeernut

Sometimes i feel like a nut sometimes i dont
In the bubble of goodness maybe not. In 99% of other centers pen to paper is the only way to get anything done.
Documentation to refer to avoiding any unexpected daily management rule changes.BOOM! That's the bomb going off in their stomachs when your right and they can't say sh