Please Contact Your Local Media/DOT/Police About FedEx 'Safety"

thedownhillEXPRESS

with no national help, you can't possibly know the scope of the movement. All you have is dubious reporting of anecdotal happenings. Could be true, might not be though.

My point was that people absolutely are angry enough to sign union cards, never mind what MFE is suggesting which you were trying to belittle.

DontThrowPackages

One of the guys here posted about an incident were a fedex driver was killed at his station. When I googled "fedex and crashes", I was shocked to see how many of us are dying out there. I made sure to tell some of the guys to look for themselves and they did. You guys please don't drive ill regard to safety. They're not telling you to drive 10 miles over the speed limit but the pressure they're puting on you may make it seem as if thats what they want out of you. DON'T DO IT. If you come to work the next day and your manager asks, "What happen?" Just say, you know what manager? I'm doing best practices and everything the same however, I've decided, after seeing how many of us are dying on road, to drive 5 mph under the posted speed limit. Its summer time and not only should I care more about my safety, I should be extra aware of little kids out of school. Really you guys, think about this. I know we bi>ch and complain about a lot of things here but how would you feel trying to fall sleep at night but all you see is a vision of someones child twisted underneath your truck? Think!

!Retired!

and how badly on-road safety is being compromised. I've seen some of the bad accidents where couriers were killed or severely injured, and I'm also aware of numerous cases where FedEx vehicles killed and/or injured innocent motorists or pedestrians.

A safe work environment. As of this moment, we don't have one.
Sorry MFE, there is NO media outlet or government agency that is going to side with you on this issue and should a lawsuit be filed somewhere by someone..........in the end, the driver alone would be found at fault. Not because of some conspiracy or payoff, but because the driver is the only one with his/her foot on the gas pedal.

I agree there's pressure to do X amount of stops, RTB by a certain time, etc. But, in the end, bad/reckless driving falls on the drivers shoulders.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Sorry MFE, there is NO media outlet or government agency that is going to side with you on this issue and should a lawsuit be filed somewhere by someone..........in the end, the driver alone would be found at fault. Not because of some conspiracy or payoff, but because the driver is the only one with his/her foot on the gas pedal.

I agree there's pressure to do X amount of stops, RTB by a certain time, etc. But, in the end, bad/reckless driving falls on the drivers shoulders.

This would be the exact position of FedEx...that the ultimate responsibility falls on the driver. True, but the company is creating an unsafe environment by sending couriers out with unrealistic workloads and then threatening them if they don't meet performance goals. That IS a problem, and the responsibility of FedEx, not the driver. They know exactly what they are doing, and that it isn't safe. They are hoping to cover themselves by throwing responsibility back on the driver, which is why this whole deal is so sickening. If you DO get into an accident or kill someone, they will revert to the credo of self-responsibility that you mention.

There is a precedent for holding a company responsible for unsafe conditions...Domino's Pizza. A few years back, Domino's was exposed on national TV for it's 30-minute delivery guarantee, which they zealously enforced upon drivers, with a resultant pile of bad accidents. The media was fully on-board with holding the corporation responsible.

FedEx has always used double-speak for safety. On one hand, it's all of the usual "Be Safe" garbage, and then they dump 25 extra stops on you after late freight. And now, it's discipline for any and all lates...at least in some locations. Think that's safe? Sorry, but pressuring employees excessively and also threatening their jobs does rise to the level of corporate culpability.

This is why we all need to WAD, slow-down, and work safely...every day. Take the lates, and then go to the authorities when you are disciplined for being safe or otherwise threatened.

CJinx

It's not just on the road where safety seems to be lax. Lately I've been seeing a lot of gross safety violations by dock personnel in the ground station where I work. As a member of the station safety committee, I brought to the attention of a dock manager(also a member of the committee) a major violation in progress and was told, "you didn't see that". Yes... I didn't see it and I'm guessing none of the dozens of security cameras saw it either.

This is why I like having security cameras in the building. Don't take my word for it; roll the footage.

!Retired!

There is a precedent for holding a company responsible for unsafe conditions...Domino's Pizza. A few years back, Domino's was exposed on national TV for it's 30-minute delivery guarantee, which they zealously enforced upon drivers, with a resultant pile of bad accidents. The media was fully on-board with holding the corporation responsible.
Domino drivers back then would be docked pay if they were late.

I haven't heard of any courier get an OLCC or letter for having lates. If it becomes a chronic thing, I can see it happening. I had 2 lates on a Monday :surprised: and got a call from my SM. My fault? Yes...both were overlooks. No letter, no OLCC, nothing.

MAKAVELI

Domino drivers back then would be docked pay if they were late.

I haven't heard of any courier get an OLCC or letter for having lates. If it becomes a chronic thing, I can see it happening. I had 2 lates on a Monday :surprised: and got a call from my SM. My fault? Yes...both were overlooks. No letter, no OLCC, nothing.
I have known couriers to get olcc for lates at my station. These were for not for multiple times just isolated incidents.

!Retired!

I have known couriers to get olcc for lates at my station. These were for not for multiple times just isolated incidents.
If they did stand-alones and had lates, they deserved it. As far as I know, not a single courier in my station got an OLCC or letter for lates. I do stand-alones, but only if I finish P1's early. Nobody has ever said a word to me.

MAKAVELI

If they did stand-alones and had lates, they deserved it. As far as I know, not a single courier in my station got an OLCC or letter for lates. I do stand-alones, but only if I finish P1's early. Nobody has ever said a word to me.
We get threatened daily for lates and sph. Just because it may not be happening where you are doesn't mean it's not this way at other locations.

!Retired!

We get threatened daily for lates and sph. Just because it may not be happening where you are doesn't mean it's not this way at other locations.

I never said it doesn't happen. I simply said I haven't experienced it.

BTW, there's no such thing as SPH anymore. DRA decides how many stops you should have based on what time is in the system you should RTB. One day you can have 100 P2 and the next day 75 P2 and still RTB at the same time.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Discipline, as always, is arbitrary and haphazard. Your station management might be reasonable about lates, but that doesn't mean that others are. We are also threatened daily for lates. Also, on DRA, what does that tell you when they are using a faulty system to determine your RTB time?

MAKAVELI

I never said it doesn't happen. I simply said I haven't experienced it.

BTW, there's no such thing as SPH anymore. DRA decides how many stops you should have based on what time is in the system you should RTB. One day you can have 100 P2 and the next day 75 P2 and still RTB at the same time.
Like I said they threaten us daily for lates and " sph".

!Retired!

Discipline, as always, is arbitrary and haphazard. Your station management might be reasonable about lates, but that doesn't mean that others are. We are also threatened daily for lates. Also, on DRA, what does that tell you when they are using a faulty system to determine your RTB time?
I run a 90% business route. DRA in my area IS messed up. It has me going to the same stop (not building) twice, backtracking, etc. But, I've heard from pure residential routes that it works excellent. You can literally throw someone that has never done the area in there and they can do it. Can they do it as well as a regular CRR on the route? Of course not. But, it can be done.
How can they threaten you with not making your SPH when SPH doesn't exist? The ONLY thing you need to worry about , besides making service, is RTB.

MAKAVELI

How can they threaten you with not making your SPH when SPH doesn't exist? The ONLY thing you need to worry about , besides making service, is RTB.[/QUOTE] It exists. Maybe not where you are but it still is a measure they use. And I Will Repeat myself. Management at my station threatens us on sph and lates daily. What measurement do you think they use to calculate rtb. You seem to just want to argue semantics.

!Retired!

What measurement do you think they use to calculate rtb. You seem to just want to argue semantics.
This applies if you are on DRA only. Every apartment complex, commercial building, private home, etc has a profile in DRA. Meaning, you have 'X' minutes to complete each stop and/or building.

Example only: Say you run a 1/2 resi, 1/2 commercial area. One day you might have 50 resi P2 and 20 commercial (70 stops) with RTB time of 1400. The next day you might have 30 resi with 60 commercial P2 (90 stops) with a RTB of 1400. If you calculate SPH, you'll see day 2 is higher. Why? Because your commercial area goes faster. DRA doesn't calculate based on SPH, its based on time and only time.