Postal deliverer shot in DC

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by Hoaxster, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Monkey Butt

Monkey Butt You can call me Chappy Staff Member

2. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

You gotta love my home county.
  3. Future

Future Well-Known Member

UPS would have made him finish the day!
  4. Operational needs

Operational needs Well-Known Member

You do know he died, right?
  5. bowflex

bowflex Guest

We deliver merchandise worth thousands of dollars and we cant carry firearms. Some bank trucks have less monetary value than we do but they are vested and carry. Makes no sense

Sent from device_name using BrownCafe App
  6. Anonymous 10

Anonymous 10 Guest

7. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

If I were forced to carry a weapon as a condition of my employment I would look for work elsewhere.
  8. jibbs

jibbs Long Live the Chief

What if you were simply given the option?
  9. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

UPS would not ever do that...too afraid they'd use it against them.
  10. bmwmc

bmwmc Active Member

The only thing I worry about is hitting deer and dogs ambushing me at night. I wonder what the procedure or rules is for UPS drivers in suspected dangerous areas in city's. Anyone from DC or NYC that's can answer that?
  11. upschuck

upschuck Well-Known Member

What would that have done. Can't drive or deliver package one handed with gun pointed in other hand. The guy probably never knew what happened.
  12. Future

Future Well-Known Member

Yes sorry for his family,just throwing a dagger at our beloved mgt!
  13. bowflex

bowflex Guest

I sure as hell would have shot the dog that attacked me the other day.all I had is my diad for defense. Luckily it was a young pitbull. My first reaction was jump ok n the hood of the car next to me. Then I got oissdd pulled out the diad and started swinging. The owner was crying for me not to hit the dog and a second later the dog lunged at my jaws wide. We should be able to carry some sort of weapon

Sent using BrownCafe App
  14. Notretiredyet

Notretiredyet Active Member

At least give those who feel they need to wear one, the access to a Kevlar UPS vest. We have a package car with a bullet hole thru the dash from a robbery attempt, missed the driver by inches.
  15. cino321

cino321 Active Member

I work in the ghetto. You want the packages, take them. No one really messes with me though. Some routes in tough areas go out with armed guards, usually retired or active cops moonlighting. Best route to have, can't get OJS'd.
  16. cino321

cino321 Active Member

17. 'Lord Brown's bidding'

'Lord Brown's bidding' Well-Known Member

The postal worker appears to have been shot by a concerned homeowner. Being allowed to carry would not have helped this situation, for it is likely the carrier never knew what hit him. And what kind of uproar would there have been if the carrier hadn't been hit with the first shot and had time to pull his weapon? Carriers and drivers getting into gun-battles with trigger-sensitive customers!