Power Pad and or Power Pad battery injury ??

Mr. 7

The monkey on the left.
Hey guys,
I have a place on my route that does workman's comp. investigations. The other day they were real interested in looking at my Power Pad and especially the battery.

They won't say a word as to why but, anyone ever hear of someone going out on disability due to some sort of PP or PP battery injury? I guess it is like holding a cell phone against your hip all day.

FedExer267

Hey guys,
I have a place on my route that does workman's comp. investigations. The other day they were real interested in looking at my Power Pad and especially the battery.

They won't say a word as to why but, anyone ever hear of someone going out on disability due to some sort of PP or PP battery injury? I guess it is like holding a cell phone against your hip all day.

Well I have never heard of that so they will probally do away with the holster now. Who knows I remember awhile back a driver went on Comp because he said he had ignition wrist. Apparently his wrist was all messed up from turning off and on the truck all day. I've heard some good ones in my time I am waiting for drivers to go on Comp for frostbite as they drive around in the freezing cold with no heaters. But thats all on the Ground side.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Hey guys,

The PowerPad is very heavy and could cause a repetitive-stress type injury. It could also be a concern due to the transmission and reception of data, like a cell phone, with concerns about brain damage, cancer etc.

bbsam

Staff member
The PowerPad is very heavy and could cause a repetitive-stress type injury. It could also be a concern due to the transmission and reception of data, like a cell phone, with concerns about brain damage, cancer etc.
very heavy?! you are kidding, right?

Actually it`s a secret UPS tactic to put FedEx out of business. The electro waves close to your nads will render you all sterile and we`ll win because you eventually won`t be able to replace yourselves.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

They are kind of heavy. And as far as not using a holster, that's not a good idea. Mine broke once so I put it in my leg pocket and by the end of the day my knee was freaking sore from that POS banging against it all day. But now I guess it was gamma radiation and it make Hulk angry!!

bbsam

Staff member
Actually it`s a secret UPS tactic to put FedEx out of business. The electro waves close to your nads will render you all sterile and we`ll win because you eventually won`t be able to replace yourselves.
You devious bastards! Nicely done.:wink2:

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Hey guys,

I would caution against letting anyone other than a FedEx employee handle the Power Pad other than to sign it. The same goes for our DIAD. Many of the features on both are proprietary in nature.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I would caution against letting anyone other than a FedEx employee handle the Power Pad other than to sign it. The same goes for our DIAD. Many of the features on both are proprietary in nature.

I doubt anyone outside of the delivery industry sector has much interest in our technology. Exactly what is propietary about either one? Both appear to perform the same functions using very similar technology. Lots of other companies employ bar-code, scanning, and electronic signature technology as well. Hopefully, the DIAD doesn't fail as often as the PowerPad. It isn't unusual to have several lockup and become useless on any given day.

SmithBarney

Power pad is a POS it crashes all the time because it's a shell program running on top of windows.. Whereas the diad runs it's program directly on the unit.

The powerpad is an off the shelf item not specifically designed for fedex, unlike the DIAD which was designed for UPS Using research...(damn that signature button) I didnt say it was good research.

Both have advantages over the other, but overall the DIAD is the better of the two.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I also agree that the DIAD is superior to the Power Pad but the bottom line on both is that it is much easier now for either company to hire replacement workers and put them on the street.

probellringer

I also agree that the DIAD is superior to the Power Pad but the bottom line on both is that it is much easier now for either company to hire replacement workers and put them on the street.

that may sound all well and good..but delivering is really not that easy....many people say they can do it..but i can assure-and fedex express drivers can attest to it=i would say1 in 10...yes only 1 in 10 new hires stay on ...remember--im talking about people off the street going in to courier class....as far as running people as helpers while someone else drives and sets up..that is a different story...anyone can do that

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

that may sound all well and good..but delivering is really not that easy....many people say they can do it..but i can assure-and fedex express drivers can attest to it=i would say1 in 10...yes only 1 in 10 new hires stay on ...remember--im talking about people off the street going in to courier class....as far as running people as helpers while someone else drives and sets up..that is a different story...anyone can do that

What we do is not rocket science. This is not to say that it is easy, as it is not, but it would not be that difficult for a new hire to grab a DIAD (with a good DOL) and deliver an area.

I have had the same helper for 3 years and he is to the point where he can do everything short of driving the PC, to include setting up the car.

Why do you think UPS spent all of this money to implement PAS/EDD? The primary reason was to improve efficiency and to increase production but a secondary was to allow replacement workers to step in and keep the operation going, not 100%, but enough to keep the wheels going. Anyone can be replaced.

LTFedExer

This job IS easy. But, any job is easy........if you like it. Most of the new hires you're thinking of are younger kids that don't realize it's actually work. Once they find out they'll be lifting 50-60lb boxes all day, they're gone. We just hired 4 PM drivers (and 3 more on the way). Put any of them on my PM route and we'd be looking for people to replace them.......guaranteed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This job IS easy. But, any job is easy........if you like it. Most of the new hires you're thinking of are younger kids that don't realize it's actually work. Once they find out they'll be lifting 50-60lb boxes all day, they're gone. We just hired 4 PM drivers (and 3 more on the way). Put any of them on my PM route and we'd be looking for people to replace them.......guaranteed.

It always sounds like you work in a dream station. How is that you're so lucky, and the rest of us are working our butts off?

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
It always sounds like you work in a dream station. How is that you're so lucky, and the rest of us are working our butts off?

There are routes created to suit certain personalities.

We always have management harping about full utilization of routes and leaving in the morning at full capacity but there's always the chosen few that get away with severely under utilized routes. How management can justify these (or shuffle the numbers) is beyond me.

LTFedExer

Please define working your butts off. I never said there weren't any problems in my station. I just said the job is easy if you like what you do. Are there things I wish were different? Yes.

Last edited:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Please define working your butts off. I never said there weren't any problems in my station. I just said the job is easy if you like what you do. Are there things I wish were different? Yes.

You said the job was "easy". As Upstate said, it isn't exactly rocket science, but you do need some smarts and common sense to be good at it. Not everyone can do it, nor has it ever been easy for most of us. I'd say that the vast majority of FedEx couriers work pretty hard. and don't really have a choice to do otherwise.