Pre-Employment Drug Screening for UPS Software Engineers

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I love seeing conservative "state's rights" people use that argument. Thanks for the laugh.
I am not saying I agree.

I am saying its the current law of the land.

And I would say that no matter what my political leanings because I know the law, unlike some on here.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I am not saying I agree.

I am saying its the current law of the land.

And I would say that no matter what my political leanings because I know the law, unlike some on here.
Perhaps disobeying unjust laws is a duty of a true patriot?
Anyways it's besides the point.

The guy is a coder, if every company did random drug tests on these geeks, Silicon Valley would have a lot of trouble finding and keeping employees.

bottomups

Bad Moon Risen'
My kid was hired as an engineer at a large company. It came with a drug test. It's pretty common at most companies these days.
My daughter graduates in May and just accepted a position with a large corporation. She moves to Colorado in June for a year of training. There is no drug test requested from her.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

My son is getting ready to start his third of a five part rotational training program for a large aerospace corporation and, yes, a drug test was part of his preemployment screening.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
I agree. The thing that I find so funny about this country's view of cannabis is although it's still considered a Schedule 1 Controlled Substance (high risk of addiction, no medicinal value, etc.) the federal government has a patent #6630507 with the title "Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants", basically stating that they have been able to find medicinal benefits. Quoting from the abstract: "The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia."

Sadly, I don't know many users that could give it up !!!
A matter of fact, don't know any that have.
It's a valid point by the government.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
Current science is exposing the dangers of weed, memory loss for one.

https://www.michigandaily.com/secti...tion-between-marijuana-use-verbal-memory-loss
200_s.gif

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Most don't realize that during Prohibition, alcohol related problems went down, so in that sense it worked. Of course, the black market created a number of other problems.

One of the problems I foresee with legalization is, how do companies deal with the liability that goes with drug use? Do they have the right not to employ a person using a legal drug? Are they responsible if any mishap were to occur?

I would think any laws that deal with legalization would also afford protection for employers. Drug testing cost paid for by a tax on the product. Want to use drugs? Better be self employed.

bagpipes

Maybe, maybe not.

Look at it this way. If corporate really does monitor this forum, you have told us that you are applying for a specialized job. Somebody in HR might just decide to test all applicants for software engineers after reading this.

You may have just screwed yourself.

Funny when you realize you opened the box with Schroedinger's cat without ever knowing it...

bagpipes

Kynphlee you are asking mostly Teamsters about the on boarding process for a management role.

Good points made in general, but consider the source. Try asking in the Partners or IT forum.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
If there were a drug test for this position, wouldn't it be listed in the requirements part of the online application?
More to the point though, is that at any time, UPS can simply decide to implement it anywhere, so long as it's done across a whole group and administered randomly so as not to appear to single anyone out.