Pre-Employment Drug Screening for UPS Software Engineers

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
But they don't mind drivers or sups that get drunk as hell after work every night. Who are you? the morality police?

Absolutely not. But back when I was hired, there was a total opposition to anyone who used or even had used.

I know things have changed, but if I were hiring somebody to run and write code for my computer systems that basically ran my company, no, I wouldn't want a stoner.

Sorry.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
I've read the threads dealing with pre-employment drug screening for UPS, and I understand how they would screen candidates for package handlers and delivery drivers, but for the position that I'm going for, I have found no answers. The position I'm applying for is for an Intermediate Application Developer (basically, a software engineer). From my experience, software engineers do not have to lift heavy packages, drive trucks or operate heavy machinery (for all the potential trolls out there, there's my trump card, lol). So, I would like to know - especially from anyone in the software engineering and IT department - if they do any drug screening for their IT department positions. Not looking for any trolling or flame wars, please.
Sorry to break it you, but UPS has the toughest drug testing in America.

You have to pee in 3 cups, give a blood sample and you have to give a few long hair strands.

They want to see if there has been any drugs in your system in the last 6 years.

Good luck. Lol.

MAKAVELI

Absolutely not. But back when I was hired, there was a total opposition to anyone who used or even had used.

I know things have changed, but if I were hiring somebody to run and write code for my computer systems that basically ran my company, no, I wouldn't want a stoner.

Sorry.
You might be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't smoke these days. Weed is quickly becoming mainstream and the drug of choice for many. If used in moderation , its negative effects are much less than alcohol. Not everyone who smokes is a "STONER". Just like not everyone who drinks is an "ALCOHOLIC".

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS
You might be hard pressed to find someone that doesn't smoke these days. Weed is quickly becoming mainstream and the drug of choice for many. If used in moderation , its negative effects are much less than alcohol. Not everyone who smokes is a "STONER". Just like not everyone who drinks is an "ALCOHOLIC".
ImageUploadedByBrownCafe1455418893.973208.jpg

kynphlee

I agree. The thing that I find so funny about this country's view of cannabis is although it's still considered a Schedule 1 Controlled Substance (high risk of addiction, no medicinal value, etc.) the federal government has a patent #6630507 with the title "Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants", basically stating that they have been able to find medicinal benefits. Quoting from the abstract: "The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia."

MAKAVELI

I agree. The thing that I find so funny about this country's view of cannabis is although it's still considered a Schedule 1 Controlled Substance (high risk of addiction, no medicinal value, etc.) the federal government has a patent #6630507 with the title "Cannabinoids as antioxidants and neuroprotectants", basically stating that they have been able to find medicinal benefits. Quoting from the abstract: "The cannabinoids are found to have particular application as neuroprotectants, for example in limiting neurological damage following ischemic insults, such as stroke and trauma, or in the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, such as Alzheimer's disease, Parkinson's disease and HIV dementia."
Some people are just stuck in their views and refuse to acknowledge science and reality. As more states legalize marijuana for medicinal and recreational use , eventually the feds will too. It is only a matter of time.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

Some people are just stuck in their views and refuse to acknowledge science and reality. As more states legalize marijuana for medicinal and recreational use , eventually the feds will too. It is only a matter of time.

For crying out loud, SPH. I didn't say I disagree with cannabis usage. I only stated that UPS may not want to hire somebody who uses it for a sensitive position like software engineering.

As far as science and reality, I really don't care if people smoke. I also want to see more research into medicinal uses. I would also be thrilled if marijuana was universally
legalized. But, I don't want to see anybody using while working at a job where the use could be a problem.

Now, go polish your torque wrench.

MAKAVELI

For crying out loud, SPH. I didn't say I disagree with cannabis usage. I only stated that UPS may not want to hire somebody who uses it for a sensitive position like software engineering.

As far as science and reality, I really don't care if people smoke. I also want to see more research into medicinal uses. I would also be thrilled if marijuana was universally
legalized. But, I don't want to see anybody using while working at a job where the use could be a problem.

You need a joint old man.:D

kynphlee

Who said anything about using while working on the job? It would be foolish to be smoking while on the clock.

kynphlee

Sorry to break it you, but UPS has the toughest drug testing in America.

You have to pee in 3 cups, give a blood sample and you have to give a few long hair strands.

They want to see if there has been any drugs in your system in the last 6 years.

Good luck. Lol.
That's a bit overkill, don't you think?

Mechanic86

Turd Polishing Expert
I was hired as a mechanic with UPS and to my surprise there was no drug test, every job I held before this one working as a mechanic required a drug test.

realbrown1

Annoy a liberal today. Hit them with facts.
It's still a crime in every state.