Preload then helper for peak pay

fres431

I quote from the letter of understanding between the company and union "Overtime rates shall apply to all hours worked over eight (8) hours per day in addition to overtime on employee’s respective part-time shifts. Overtime rates shall be predicated on the job at the time of overtime."
If you work 6hrs in hub(which is paid at 5 straight 1 at 1.5x hub rate) then 4 hours as helper. Are 2 helper hours paid at straight pay then last 2 paid at 1.5x helper pay OR is it paid at 3hrs helper straight pay and 1 hour of 1.5x helper pay?

Bottom rung

When I was p/t any hours over eight spent as a helper were o/t any hours ever five in the hub were o/t. You'd have to work over thirteen a day to get o/t. Just double shift.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Helper hours are completely separate. Like working for a different company. If you work 4hrs preload and 5hrs helper you get no ot

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Helper hours are completely separate. Like working for a different company. If you work 4hrs preload and 5hrs helper you get no ot
That depends on your local. In mine, it's OT after 8 hours worked for working Preload and Xmas helper....even at different pay rates.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
You could probably get a better answer if you identify the supplement you're under.

I'm covered by Central. Within the Central, we receive OT after 5 hours of working the inside and OT for driver helper pay after 40-hours of straight time per week. But OT cannot be pyramided. In other words, in Central OT = total hours worked - 40 less OT paid on the inside. In some areas, you may be able to pyramid OT.

And we use to have rules restricting us to a maximum of 12-hours per day, but they haven't followed that in at least 4 hours.

fres431

I quoted in my first post it's just misleading cause it says 8 hrs per day in addition to overtime on employees respective shifts

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Article 11 section 5 of central
Overtime shall be paid after forty (40) straight-
time hours at the applicable rate. Overtime shall not be pyramided.
Existing part-time employees who work as helpers shall not be sched-
uled in excess of eight (8) hours total per day.

Jkloc420

Do you need an air compressor or tire gauge
It should be ot based off the fact you will be over 40 hours by the end of the week. However I was told by my union person that there was no ot because they were two different job classifications. So I just stopped driver helping.

PT Car Washer

It should be ot based off the fact you will be over 40 hours by the end of the week. However I was told by my union person that there was no ot because they were two different job classifications. So I just stopped driver helping.
What Union person? Was it a business agent or a driver steward. Not all stewards are knowledgeable on PT issues and most will tell you this. Talk to a business agent at the Union Hall. A lot of PT will work two different job classifications during Peak and make a lot of OT.

Jkloc420

What Union person? Was it a business agent or a driver steward. Not all stewards are knowledgeable on PT issues and most will tell you this. Talk to a business agent at the Union hall. A lot of PT will work two different job classifications during Peak and make a lot of OT.

It was a steward. I know that they do work different jobs and get ot. Some way ups gets around it with driver helpers. I know from the steward and from other people that didn't get ot. Including myself one year I didn't get it. So I just gave up on driver helper. I always assumed anything over 40 hours in a week was ot anyhow regardless of driver classifications.

PT Car Washer

It was a steward. I know that they do work different jobs and get ot. Some way ups gets around it with driver helpers. I know from the steward and from other people that didn't get ot. Including myself one year I didn't get it. So I just gave up on driver helper. I always assumed anything over 40 hours in a week was ot anyhow regardless of driver classifications.
I still believe the Steward gave you bad information but it is your decision. I would work doubles inside and make OT after 5 hours if it was me.

Jkloc420

I still believe the Steward gave you bad information but it is your decision. I would work doubles inside and make OT after 5 hours if it was me.

The way it was explained to me was this way. If I work inside and get over 25 hours it is ot because anything over 25 hours is overtime. However if I driver help and get 40 hours that isn't overtime because you aren't over 40 hours. Instead of taking the total hours of 65 they seperate it and say one job was over 25 and the other job was 40. That is why they said you don't get ot for driver helper. Now I assumed anything over 8 hours for part time is suppose to be ot. Also I assumed anything over 40 hours is supposed to be ot. Very rarely do they have double shifts at my building. If it is available I would but the re load just isn't busy enough for it.

PT Car Washer

The way it was explained to me was this way. If I work inside and get over 25 hours it is ot because anything over 25 hours is overtime. However if I driver help and get 40 hours that isn't overtime because you aren't over 40 hours. Instead of taking the total hours of 65 they seperate it and say one job was over 25 and the other job was 40. That is why they said you don't get ot for driver helper. Now I assumed anything over 8 hours for part time is suppose to be ot. Also I assumed anything over 40 hours is supposed to be ot. Very rarely do they have double shifts at my building. If it is available I would but the re load just isn't busy enough for it.
The biggest flaw in your reasoning is PT are paid OT after 5 hours in a day, not 25 hours in a week. Work 8 hours PT for three days and you would be paid 15 hours straight time and 9 hours OT. The same with combining PT and driver helper. OT after 8 hours a day, not 40 hours a week.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!

UPS is lawfully obligated to pay you OT for each minute you're clocked in beyond 40 hours. How OT is calculated differs throughout the country, and is covered in your supplement. For example, in Central, it's calculated as total hours work less 40 less any OT received on the inside since 1) you earn OT after 5 hours on the inside and 2) OT cannot be pyramided. In other areas of the country, employees CAN pyramid OT. In yet other areas of country, if they're scheduled 8 hours on the inside, they don't get OT until after 8.