Prepanel Party!

peacock

I was informed by my Supervisor that I (and other drivers that have recently recieved "Working Discharges") that I am a part of a Pre-Panel hearing consisting of Center Manager, Shop Steward, Local Union Rep & his Supervisor. Two questions: What is a "Pre-Panel" hearing and what should I expect to experience at such an event? Is it as fun as it sounds? Sorry, that's 3 questions...

LongTimeComing

Air Ops Pro
As simply as I can say it....It's a meeting/workshop to decide whether or not the issue is something that can be resolved locally or if it needs to be escalated to the full panel. BOOOOORRRRIIIIINNNNNG!

Returntosender

UPS needs to recover 200million dollars+ cause the TNT deal fell apart. Their will be an abundance of working terminations, and actual terminations. While very little to none 30/60/90 to the management ranks.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

It sounds as though the terminations were for relatively minor offenses and the center manager wants to handle them "in-house". Those terminations which can be overturned will put the employee back to work much quicker than waiting for the next panel. Those which cannot will be held for the next panel.

I like the idea of a "pre-panel"----saves both the union and company money and (hopefully) puts the employee back to work much more quickly.

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
I was informed by my Supervisor that I (and other drivers that have recently recieved "Working Discharges") that I am a part of a Pre-Panel hearing consisting of Center Manager, Shop Steward, Local Union Rep & his Supervisor. Two questions: What is a "Pre-Panel" hearing and what should I expect to experience at such an event? Is it as fun as it sounds? Sorry, that's 3 questions...

No labor manager? Should be a lot easier to get those "working discharges" wiped out if the Labor Dept. isn't involved..

peacock

Update: Now I heard that the meeting of the minds... oh wait, management will be there, let me start over. Now I heard that the meeting will consist of Center Manager, Local Union Rep., and the Labor Manager. My Discharge giving happy supervisor (who has issued myself alone 5 discharges in the last 2 months) will not be attending. So, again what should I expect with this current lineup?

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
As Bubblehead previously mentioned, it's typically called a "local level" hearing, and is part of the grievance process. Local hearings typically involve you, the labor manager(s) and your business agent(s). Your union steward as well as local management may also participate, should they desire (though UPS makes it difficult for union stewards to do so).

In the case of a termination, the Company will present its case and then you'll have a chance to respond. After the presentation, the Company will make a decision regarding your grievance. Typically, for a working discharge, this means it will be reduced to a warning or suspension. If you're adamant that you did nothing wrong and refuse to accept any discipline (especially in cases in which back pay is wrong), typically the Company will deadlock with your business agent and the case will proceed to panel. (It snows in Las Vegas -- and yes, it does snow in Las Vegas -- as often as UPS "admitting" it was wrong... even if it was wrong.)

BTW, your business agent can "predict" the outcome of the local level meeting - with surprisingly accuracy -- before it takes place.

First off, thanks for the info. Secondly, what is a "business agent"?
Some guy you wouldn't talk to unless you are in trouble. Once he gets your sorry ass out of trouble you better know who he is and say hi to him and go to your monthly meeting and stand up and thank his ass because he needs people to get involved and know who he is and what he does.

Buck Fifty

What are the discharges for ? or did I miss something ? Pre-panel hearing is nothing but the company fishing to get something they haven't got. I recommend saying nothing and if you do, I DONT RECALL is a great response. Be a good listener and excellent note taker.

peacock

You mock the "meeting of the minds" yet don't know who your business agent is or what this person does? That alone speaks volumes about you.
What speaks volumes is your attempt at trying to portray this fact in a negative fashion. It's true I don't know who the B.A. is or what this person does. That's because I never had a reason to have to know. It's actually a GOOD thing that I didn't know who these people are. It means that I've come in for the last 3 years as a friend.T. driver, done my job well and have gone home w/o issues. I knew who my steward and my Union rep. were because that's all I needed to know. Now I have a Sup. that has come into power that has had it out for me since they were a P.T. Sup. and now all of a sudden I'm receiving warning letters, suspensions and discharges at such a rate that other drivers ask "Did you receive your weekly discharge from (Sups name here)?". I'm in unfamiliar territory, so I came here looking for helpful advice, not some severe obtuse person who apparently gets off on making blind pessimistic assumptions about their UPS brethren.
So, if you have anything helpful to bring to the thread, I'd love to hear it. Based on your # of post and your Rep Power # alone, you seem like someone who should be able to be forthcoming with some meaningful insight. Thanks for your time.

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
Your steward and rep will sit with you in an office and the fellers on the other side will try to insinuate things that aren't true and try to trip you up with your wording. Your reps will give you visual cues to calm down like shifting their knees up and down or something. Your job will be to state facts only and be genuinely confused as to why your there and your favorite answer should be "I don't recall." I've had 2 in 16 years. Both of them were dismissed at the hearing cause it's cheaper to do it that way. Also because I honestly didn't do anything wrong...that helped. Your situation may vary...but "I don't recall." should become a regular phrase in your lexicon based on your description of your new sup. Good luck!