Pro Athletes Earn Their Jobs Every Year. Would You Still Have Yours?

Discussion in 'UPS Discussions' started by olroadbeech, Jun 7, 2015.

1. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

In the pro athlete world, athletes must earn their jobs every year and even every game.

that got me to thinking about our jobs. we are pretty well protected by the union. however , if we had to keep our jobs by merit alone, how many of us would still have jobs?

I bet half wouldn't. after 25 years I know I cant keep up with the younger drivers but I hope my experience would make up for it.

what if performance counted for everything?

2. Tough Guy

Tough Guy Active Member

You never know, there's some guys that are 20 or more years older than me that can run circles around me, and I'm no slouch. Not even knowing you or your center I'm sure you could do the same to some youngsters. At least on area knowledge alone.
  3. Mechanic86

Mechanic86 Repairing the crap you break.

Yep every time, I recently came from the real world, this union stuff is new to me.
  4. UpstateNYUPSer

UpstateNYUPSer Very proud grandfather.

Half is on the high side but, yes, there are some of us who would get cut from the team.
  5. olroadbeech

olroadbeech Happy Verified UPSer

I had over 20 years working in the real world before this job and when I first started here my first impression was "how the heck do some of these guys have jobs here?"
  6. Jones

Jones fILE A GRIEVE! Staff Member

Pro athletes get paid what they do because they are athletically gifted individuals who are capable of physical feats that no one else is. Our job doesn't require anything like that, anybody can do it as long they aren't physically disabled. If we didn't have a union the job wouldn't go to the "best" person, it would go to the person who was willing work the cheapest.
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  7. 9.5er

9.5er Well-Known Member

If we were like pro athletes I'd be on every ones fantasy league. Just sayin.....
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
    • List
  8. By The Book

By The Book Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on UPS's definition of merit.
  9. Sleeve_meet_Heart

Sleeve_meet_Heart making the unreadable unreadabler

pay us like pro athletes with reasonable performance "cutoffs" and our tenures wouldn't last beyond physical prime ;)

telematics, ORION, and the endless reports look like an American sports team being displayed...not something I am proud of at all. embarrassing actually, goes to show (in part) how impersonal and detached the "real" management is from the everyday world.
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • List
  10. Jackburton

Jackburton Gone Fish'n

UPS's definition of merit = "Why couldn't you do it like Johnny Runner Gunner?"
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  11. jerseyupser

jerseyupser Member

NFL players that's semi true but MLB and NBA their contracts are FULLY guaranteed no matter what. I'm not too sure how the NHL works.
  12. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

The pro's have union's, insuring them guaranteed contracts and pensions. Even if your career is short, if you are smart with your money you should be in a great position.
  13. UpstateNYUPSer

Ask Earl Campbell how that worked out for him.
  14. joeboodog

joeboodog good people drink good beer

A couple of years ago, they would have said, "I remember when he was at the top of his game," as I hobbled out to my car at the end of the day. Since having my knees done, I am the comeback player of the year.
  15. Wally

Wally Hailing from Parts Unknown.

Were talking now, right?
  16. clean hairy

clean hairy Well-Known Member

Cause Johnny Runner is 25+ years younger than me.
    You will be asking him in 20 yrs why he doesn't do a route as fast as some young kid.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  17. UpstateNYUPSer

Just started my 27th year and my cover drivers still can't keep up.
  18. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

Could we consider you a "walk on" in this scenario?
  19. UpstateNYUPSer

I prefer highly sought after recruit/free agent.
  20. Crazy Diamond

Crazy Diamond Robot Extraordinaire

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List