Pro-Gun / Hunting Thread

ok2bclever

I Re Member
It's a given everyone will pick self-regulation regarding anything they are involved in if given the chance. :cool:

It's the disappointment and disillusionment of the results of self-regulation that causes support of government intervention in the self-regulation of anything.

danny, you were against the method wkmac suggested to self-regulate this issue.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Ok

HAving the gun makers in charge of and responsible for the task of who gets a gun and who doesnt is not self regulation. Self regulation does not work with people that always want to blame all the ills of our time on everyone else.

The regulations that are in place are more than enough to do the job. PRoblem is that violators are not punished. I guess all the bleeding hearts out there dont like the fact that you screw up, you go to jail. You screw up three times, kiss the world goodby for the rest of your life. we just let them out over and over again to commit more crimes.

The example he gave to apply to the gun makers, when applied to makers of other products, showed just how screwy the idea was in the first place. Hell, why not just let the pharmacutical companies decide who needs what drugs, forget going through a doctor. Who knows more about their drugs than them, and who would get the most benifit out of the drug.

d

wkmac

Corporations have self regulation, it's called Congress and lobbyists

susiedriver said:
Self regulation has worked so well with UPS and OSHA, we should have everything self-regulated; firearms, energy, the stock market, transportation, savings & loans, etc...[/sarcasm]

Poor little suzi, you would do well sometime to extract yourself away from the Democratic Underground website and Al Gore, John Kerry and George Soros' "I Hate Dubya" secret club (republicans have their little clubs too) and venture into the world of the Federal Register, Statues At Large and other venues for finding out just really how bad things are. Believe it or not, it's far worse than you ever expected and I know this will come as a shock but both parties are over their heads in it!

By the way, the first tenet of self regulation is this. You respect the life, liberty and property of others at all times and under no pretense do you violate those under the cover of force or fraud. This also means you can't use gov't (force) to do for you what you can't do otherwise for yourself. If you are capable of being really honest with yourself for the briefest of moments you can clearly see that corporations, in some capacity, violate this tenet every day, every hour on both counts but are given cover by gov't who are owned by these corporations and then this same gov't passes laws that exempt these corporations from being taken into a court of law to face charges of violation of the very tenets first listed. As we speak the gun makers are lobbying for just such protection mainly because we have an idiot public for jurists and drooling lawyers who care not for what legal precedents they set but just want the fat bank accounts and the big house on the hill so they to can run for office and be the big dog and tell the rest of us that make life work what to do and what not to do at the behest of the corporations.

Also corporations can exempt all physical persons involved of liability and pass that liability on to a paper creature that can be desolved simply by walking into the lawyer's office and starting the process. Then the victim of the corporation has no recourse because the culprit is declared legally dead. How can you charge a dead person with a crime? You can't! And the corporations is unison sing, "SWEET!"

Suzi, in my open frontier, wild west, neanderthal world there would be no such thing as a corporation. You couldn't open a company one day under a paper fiction, do your deeds and then kill it once the gig with the public is up. To conduct business, you'd have to conduct it as yourself and what you contracted to you'd (your phyiscal person)also be held liable too. Unless you physically died yourself, you couldn't screw around and walk away leaving dead bodies so to speak laying around. Ask you democrat leader friends are they willing to even venture into thinking in that direction and you'll see real fast the only difference between them and ole' Dubya is ole' Dubya happens to live at 1600 Pennsylvania Ave. and they desire it so bad it's killing them.

You want to see people self regulate? Do that (eliminate corp. status)and see what happens and yes it would have a dramatic effect on our economy and society and likely very negative at the outset. But don't worry as I don't believe this would ever happen but we do need to rethink what we are doing. We also need to consider the options out there and other than more gov't ones. That maybe the answer but is it always the only answer? I just see going to gov't everytime, especially the federal level, being like giving just one more bank door key and vault combination to the local bank robber. Then we wonder why the bank keeps getting robbed in the middle of the night. DUH!!!!!!!

Society is like a non working traffic light. Leave the self regulating to the motorist and the overwhelming majority approach the intersection with extreme caution and even allow the other guy to proceed first to make sure no accident occurs. Are there some that just blow through? Sure but isn't it likely that is the same person who blows through a working redlight anyway that you see everyday? There is no perfect world, there is no utopia so stop trying to use the force of gov't to create something that is total impossible to begin with! The only thing gov't does is make it easier for the redlight runner to run the redlight and then when he hits someone he has gov't granted immunity from prosecution!

JMHO.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
danny, wkmac's proposal certainly wasn't having the gun industry police itself, what a stupid idea that would be.

It was about making them and the gun owners shoulder the burden of policing themselves regarding the background checks, etc. instead of the taxpayer.

Seeing how we have become a nation of "it's someone else's fault" for everything self-regulation simply wouldn't work.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
The gun owner should bear the cost of the back ground checks. Just like the convicted criminal should work off the cost of his trial and the cost of keeping him locked up. And he does not get out until that debt is paid in full.

ITs just like getting a drivers licence. Just because you have had one for 70 years and can still hold your head up and open your eyes does not mean you should be able to automatically get one renewed.

One thing I would like to see is if you do not finish highschool, or have a GED, no gun purchase. IF you are here on a green card or are not legally living in the USA, no gun for you either. IF you have any criminal action that you have been guilty of, no gun. IF you are arrested for a violent crime, no gun until you are found inocent. If guilty, no gun forever. Period

Just my personal belief. For all other law abiding citizens of the US of A, knock yourself out.

d

traveler

Where next? Venice
dannyboy,

You stated that:

"ITs just like getting a drivers licence. Just because you have had one for 70 years and can still hold your head up and open your eyes does not mean you should be able to automatically get one renewed."

Welcome to Florida where, in fact, you can.

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
I know, I visit quite often and the Qtips abound everywhere.

But such is life. If I only were able to run the country for a while......

Of course then Susie would have to hire a hit man and we would be back to square one.

d

susiedriver

Poor little mac. The libertarian dream will never happen. No more corporations? Libertarian fantasy! The problem with your dream world is you tend to mix economic theory with moral theory. There is a good reason why there has never been a government based on libertarianism, thats because it doesnt work.

I dont believe in self regulation, and I certainly dont want a return to the open frontier, wild west world you envision. I suppose in that world, they with the most get the most, unless someone else has a bigger security force behind them. No thanks.

wkmac

Susie, Look Again

Take the time to read about what once called classical liberalism but you have to go back a number of years to figure it out. Once you do you'll realise the so called wild west wasn't true libertarianism, it was anarchy and there's a huge difference. Libertarianism is not without it's law and order it's just very limited in scope and scale. The reason I have so much fun with those terms of wild west it's through your own ignorance you believe that is what it is. I honestly believe you are afraid for people to truly be free. You have much in common with theorcratic religious facist like Pat Robertson and Osama Bin Laden. Yes, they are of the same cloth and I'm coming to believe you are too.

As for no gov't having a basis in libertatianism or better yet classical liberalism you might do well to pick up a few history books and read about this wild new idea called America some 250 years ago.

As for no libertarian dream, well one never knows now do they but as for this country you are likely correct but then you assume I'm staying here. Wrong again my little collectivist dove! Why stay here for you and your illk to use the power of the state and statist force to steal what I've worked for because you are to lazy to do for yourself!

In the real world that's nothing more than a thief! Taken any baby's candy today? Use the state today to take from some hard working parents the money they need to better their child's education? Spin it, twirl it, twist it but no matter what when you boil it down you're still a thief!

Now get mad, call me names.

U

Unregistered

second ammendment

feguy....the second amendment does not give us the right to keep and bear arms but it acknowledges that we have the right to keep and bear arms

wkmac

Traveler

Ironically you could have an argument about the licensing of gun owners like you do automobiles which BTW is a legitiment role of the State. Drivers are using the public roads and could pose a risk to other memebers of the public so therefore it is a legit roll of gov't. Guns could be viewed the same way to some extent but here is where you could hit a snag. Can you own a car, never register it, never pay taxes on it, never need a drivers license if that car never hits the public roads in any way? Yes you can. If this vehicle only is driven on private property at all times then no you only need the permission of the property owner and follow his/her rules and you are set. Don't believe me? One great examples are race cars. Years ago I had one and it wasn't registered, I paid no tax, I needed no State license. All I had to do was follow the rules of the track promoter and sanctioning body and I was good to go.

Now the question with the gun is, what are the circumstances of the gun leaving the property? On a person on the public roads or walkways and I'm not talking riding in the car but literally out in public in to my knowledge most States require at least a permit to do so with the weapon concealed and generally speaking you are prohibited from entering public places. some laws vary of course but that has been the general rule. What about the gun completely open to public view? Well I think the same rule as concealed weapon could and in some cases should apply and in may State and local jurisdictions they do vary and cover this and IMO is a legit use of law. For you "I gotcha" types out there notice I've covered State and Local only, Federal level has no authority or standing in this matter pertaining to local jurisdiction and it's citizens.

What about the firearm that travels from your home via the automobile to another private place such as private hunting area or private firing range. From State to State they view the automobile different as some see it as an extension of the home so therefore no license needed and some don't. Goes back to the automobile having left the private road is now a public vehicle as is the driver inside and therefore all contents inside are in the public domain. Makes for interesting reading in search and seizure cases. LOL! I can see the argument going both ways but in the end I think the public position would win as it has in may States and the need to have a license to transport is coming more and more the normal thinking in this. I don't happen to agree but such is the facts of life.

As for driver's license, I do happen to believe the minimum age should be 18 and I do believe retesting should take place on some scheduled basis when one is using the public roads. I think one of the road blocks to retesting is the enormous strains of public capacity to do this. This is one area where private business could step up and provide a means of testing in a for profit basis and once re-certified, like emissions testing, you bring the paperwork to the driver's license dept. and get the license. All this done via local and State jurisdictions and not federal as they have no business in this.

BTW, I mean what I say about 18 year olds as my 16 year old is finding out right now. Also before she hits Ameirca's roads she will attend a multi-day driving school at Road Atlanta to learn the proper way and also be placed in the bad situations to learn how to get out. Expensive but will be worth every dime IMO.

ok2bclever

I Re Member
wkmac, in fairness, you linked susie to
wkmac said:
Pat Robertson and Osama Bin Laden
, so I 'd say you already started the name calling. :p

If even most people were up to your caliber in intelligence and ethics I would be in agreement with you, but in truth that is not the case and your Libertarian theories will always remain nothing but a pleasant chatroom discussion between philosophical types for all intensive purposes.

It does allow you a comfortable position to talk down to all those who do not champion your favorite idealogy though which is great for you.

I admire you putting your action where your mouth is regarding your 16 year old although I strongly disagree with you there on the age issue (not the training issue).

My 16 year old daughter (now almost nineteen) was far more emotionally mature, responsible and intelligent than many people will ever be, let alone the average eighteen year old.

I allowed her to purchase a vehicle (with her money) at 16 and allowed her the luxury of driving to school and limited other use (she pays for her gas as nothing brings the economics home better than that) since then.

She is now in the first year of college with NO tickets or accidents proving my judgement and trust.

So I strongly disagree with a simple tyrannical and artificial age determinator for a driving qualification.

susiedriver

mac,

No name calling on my part, I prefer an intelligent debate.

I honestly don't know where you come up with your generalizations of what you perceive to be my beliefs.

Comparing me to far right theo-facists? Come on, trying to inflame my emotions, pick a fight? Why? And then call me a thief? So much for the name calling, my friend.

I don't know where you feel the state steals from you. Your taxes, I'm guessing? I feel we get a good deal from our taxes, for the most part. I wish they were lower for me, but I can't complain. I'm one of the lucky folks in this country. I have everything I need. I eat well, travel, like in comparative safety. I possess things my grandparents couldn't even imagine of. Life is good.

Like I've said in other threads, if you don't like taxes, there is a country close by where you don't have the taxes you do here, nor do you have the services, and the water may not be potable and the public safety may be guaranteed by bribe.

mac, I'm very much more individualist, rather than collectivist, though I am a dove. Believe me, you don't have to stay here, why do you? For the money, for the opportunities for you and your children, I would wager, and you call me the thief.

I disagree with your statement that America was founded as a libertarian state. I prefer to think that though some of the framers could be called 'classic liberals', they were wisely tempered by the 'social liberals'. The Wealth of Nations wasn't even published until 1776.

On another topic, pony up and pay for a good defensive driving course for your daughter. I know that BMW used to offer one aimed at new drivers that was very good. It was available at their Spartanburg facility. Good luck.

over9five

Staff member
"No name calling on my part, I prefer an intelligent debate."

Did this just start today? Susie, you always start with the name-calling and snide comments in any debate.

susiedriver

over9five said:
"No name calling on my part, I prefer an intelligent debate."

Did this just start today? Susie, you always start with the name-calling and snide comments in any debate.

That would assume there was someone intelligent to debate with. That wouldn't apply universally, case in point...

wkmac

It wasn't name calling.....

It was just pointing our the very obvious!
:D

No Susie and OK, what is today called libertarianism are principles for a larger gov't system such as the federal level and yes many of the founders wanted a very limited gov't and in fact one effort to "keep the genie in the bottle" that didn't work was the Bill of Rights. Our founders wanted no system that in time would grow to become an empirical statist force like the European houses from which they rebelled and they did not want an American Empire on which "the sun never sets" as they had had enough of that. The hopes of doing that was to let the States and local jurisdictions handle for example all means of law enforcement and there also was no standing army. You guys hate the situation in Iraq? Well so do I but we invite disaster of foreign entanglements by the simple fact we demand our federal gov't do all these things for us and then when it defends it's means of delivering this at home we all stomp our feet and get mad! Services do not grow on trees so where does the money come from to pay for all of this? Where does Rome get her gold for more wine and circus? Charge the citizenry of Rome in the form of taxation or send forth the Legions to conquer the barbarians and take their gold. Oh, sometimes our legions are in 3 piece suits and carry briefcases instead of swords. I like to call that the Legions of Merchantile. ;) When the money at home does run short that's no problem as we have this so-called retirement plan we can rob..uh...well... I mean borrow from. BTW both of you would do well to read the history and the case law on this plan before you be it's champion. Try starting at SS's own website as you might be surprised at what they even admit. Hint: Helvering vs. Davis (SCOTUS 1937')

Oil companies showing a profit these days? Ah, the grand and lovely windfalls profit tax to show those greedy bastards they can't do this to us. We're doing it to ourselves as we refuse to cut back on our driving thus backing up their supply lines and forcing them to slash prices in order to move their inventory. Notice prices dropping lately as the capacity along the Gulf comes back on line? Capacity? Inventory? Price dropping? As for the windfall taxes, let's say the liars in charge get their way and pass the tax but the oil companies want to maintain their profit levels, then who pays and whose happy? Oil companies are because they still have the money even though a few extra bucks goes to Washington but that will come back after the lobbyist re-write the law as they own the Congressmen anyway. The liars in charge are happier because they have us thinking they're looking out for us and they also have more money for pork to buy more special interest votes (some pork even to the oil companies) with so what's wrong with this picture? Oh that's right I forgot to tell you that the real cheap gas will now be $3.50 a gallon so that windfall tax can be paid but tell that to comfort someone barely squeaking by in life now as it is. "What if" they (Congress)did absolutely nothing? Could it be the American people might start to get mad and curtail their driving thus raising the level of inventory thus forcing the prices to drop to move product? Could it be the American public would stop buying poor MPG vehicles and start buying high MPG vehicles instead? Could this also reduce pollution in the air as these vehicles that burn less fuel also put out less pollution per mile driven? Could it be the high price hybrids as the wealthy among us demand them more and more and thus the automakers ramp up to production thus on scale the prices come down as the cost is spread thinner and thinner per vehicle made and then the more modest and even lower income folks out there can also jump on the high MPG vehicle band wagon thus as a nation we just vastly reduced our need for foreign oil and we just cut our national pollution output. We did it. The citizens operating as an economic force did this. Not the gov't nor the business world as we told them what we wanted when we are left free in the market place. Do we have the guts or the smarts to do this?

But it's OK, uncle sammy will take some of this windfall money and give you a check every week to so-call make up the difference and pollutine won't change, mpg vehicles will stay the same and gas prices will only get higher overtime and the towel heads will get richer and they will jihad our asses again and again and we will have more wars and we'll need more gov't protection and taxes will go up and..... damn I'm getting dizzy going in these gov't contrived circles. It's called Hegelian Dialectics if you want a tag for it! LOL.

So the gov't check sounds pretty good right? OK, I make $70k a year working for the Big Brown but at what point does it become least effective from an economic sense to keep at Big Brown and instead join the Uncle Sammy Team and get that check? I can then slip around on the sly and pick up enough easy side money and I too can enjoy the good and easy life. How long before we reach this point and folks like you and I really face this scenario? In many sectors of society we have and it's growing.

No guys, you are correct that this country could not handle the freedom it had after the revolutionary war or for that fact much real freedom at all. If you will go back and read what I said was the foundational precept on which a true free society (libertarian if you will but that's not an absolute truism either) must live by and that is in all aspects of your life you must endeavor to never violate the life, liberty or property of another human being either by force or fraud. If you don't have that, nothing you do will ever work and everything you ever do will ultimately end in tryanny and misery. The wild west as so many of you like to tag libertarian thought was far from this precept but at the same time you'd do well to forget the Hollywood movies in thinking of this era as the Deadwood's in America we're not that common place. The Indians were not always the bad guys either and that's a fact on many fronts. Most frontier communities were tough and free but the people were peaceful and worked together as they had to to survive. Also most of these areas had no gold rush or strike it rich quick that tends to invite disaster and the badest side of man. If you add in democracy, rule by majority to this equation you not only get small segments of society by law being made to live or work only in cetain places to the will of the majority but the process speeds up as people begin to learn they can vote as a block to plunder the hard work of others. Convince the elected represenative that if he/she will vote to pass a law taking from a few what they have worked hard for that in mass a large block will vote to keep that person in office. That is a powerful incentive for anyone including me. There is a big difference betwen democracy and democratic republic and we've gone from the latter to the former contary to your beliefs of the outcome of the last 2 presidential elections. ;)

It is irrelevant that you do or don't become whatever political tag you want to throw at me but if for one brief moment I can make you ask the simple question of "What If?" then that is all I'm out to do. "What if" my neighbor and I can live by the precept of do no harm to others and respect them then what do my neighbor and I need a gov't for in our relationship? What does it say about us when we force gov't in anyway? "What if" my other neighbor and I could do the same? "What if" my hole neighborhood could do this? "What if" my whole town? "What if" strangers out on the highway could do this? Just "what if?" Hmmmmmmm. "What if" some simple carpenter's son in times past taught a simple precept like this that if carried out,he also called this "the Kingdom of Heaven, could create a world that would be fantastic to live in?" Could it be that western classical liberalism, libertarianism, freedomism, common law, whatever you want to call it has it's roots with this simple carpenter's son and a nomaic desert leader who once lived in the ruling house of Egypt and made a historic journey to the top of a mount and from that formed in it's early years actually a very free society in which local peoples ruled themselves and handled matters among themselves but in due course they too choose to have a King and in the end that society of freedom came to an end.

What If?
hmmmmmm!

ok2bclever

I Re Member
Ah, in a perfect world. . .

Unfortunately, might makes right and the immediate self-serving rewards of selfishness make it easy to set aside the "what if" question along with "happily ever after", because they are both related fairy tales and we have to live in the real world.

I enjoy science fiction, it is my favorite literary category and is full of "what ifs", but while not always, at least those are sometimes plausible what ifs. :(

susiedriver

wkmac

You called my world utopian, and yet you hold this ideal of ""What if" my neighbor and I can live by the precept of do no harm to others and respect them ..." and use that as a premise to do away with government, and I guess live in some neo-Christian state?

Libertarianism mixed with utopian Christianity is what Im seeing. Good luck..

Oh, and who called for windfall profit taxes on Oil? I thought we tried that 40 or so years ago, and it didnt work out so well. If one believes Oil will continue to be profitable, one should invest in it; of course, that would be investing in an evil corporation, wouldnt it?