Proper handling question.. broken dreams :(

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I will only ask the consignee to help as a last resort as the last thing I want is to report an injured customer.

I have customers who want to jump on the pkg car and help me. I jokingly tell them that if they get hurt I will end up flipping burgers at Mickey D's.

I don't let anyone on the car nor do I let customers help me.

In addition, my customers haven't been trained on the eight keys to lifting and lowering.
When I get the question of whether anybody at the stop can help me, that is my answer.
I require a properly trained Teamster to help with packages like these.

Nimnim

The Nim
I'm never awake when a package arrives for me, but if I was I'd take it off the PC for a driver no problem. I never order anything more than 30 pounds, and if an irreg driver like myself would get hurt lifting that I'm no longer fit to do my job.

Btw if the 8 keys are what you're looking for when a customer wants to help, Upstate and Bubblehead, have you actually run into a teamster who is trained that will help? Genuinely curious here.

Last edited:

UPSGUY72

So the OP orders a 98 pound package and is home when it is delivered. Why didn't he offer to help the driver unload it? Thats a hernia causing weight right there, I have had three.

I will only ask the consignee to help as a last resort as the last thing I want is to report an injured customer.

I have customers who want to jump on the pkg car and help me. I jokingly tell them that if they get hurt I will end up flipping burgers at Mickey D's.

I don't let anyone on the car nor do I let customers help me.

So when your at a pickup and shipper want to hand you package while your in the back or the car you refuse there help.

RoBo

UPS robot no more
Broken Dreams?? Are you kidding me?? You don't drive with the stereo up at the stoplights... but do you realize driving down the road with that rolling train horn distracts people from the important task of driving for (my guess) the real reason it is played so loud... So people will look at you? Find something else to bring to the game of life and you wont have to make idiotic statements like "it's relaxing to me". I seriously can't stand dopes and their stupid look at me stereos. So annoying. Broken dreams?? Is that how big you dream? More like broken ear drums and public nuisance.

I know I'm not the only person not in the least bit saddened by this story. Sure we need to do our job right, but there will always be a percentage of damages in a delivery company. I think this damage was a tough break that benefitted society as a whole.

ymelord

RyNWA, I not a fan of your music, but I am a fan of UPS customers. For the record nobody hates damages more than the drivers. We're the ones who see excitment, to disappointment in your face. Even though it isn't my fault you still feel bad. Good luck with your claim.

RyNWA

Broken Dreams?? Are you kidding me?? You don't drive with the stereo up at the stoplights... but do you realize driving down the road with that rolling train horn distracts people from the important task of driving for (my guess) the real reason it is played so loud... So people will look at you? Find something else to bring to the game of life and you wont have to make idiotic statements like "it's relaxing to me". I seriously can't stand dopes and their stupid look at me stereos. So annoying. Broken dreams?? Is that how big you dream? More like broken ear drums and public nuisance.

I know I'm not the only person not in the least bit saddened by this story. Sure we need to do our job right, but there will always be a percentage of damages in a delivery company. I think this damage was a tough break that benefitted society as a whole.

I love the internet... people think they are so awesome in there anonymous state of smack talking. There are people in the world who actually like things, such as music, hard to believe right. And that's why this is America, we all don't HAVE to like the same things. You are probably the old man/woman that drives 10 miles under the speed limit, doesn't use turn signals, doesn't look when changing lanes, and get's mad when people speed around you just to get away from you. If a stereo really distracts you that much that you think your own life is in danger then you probably shouldn't be driving.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I'm never awake when a package arrives for me, but if I was I'd take it off the PC for a driver no problem. I never order anything more than 30 pounds, and if an irreg driver like myself would get hurt lifting that I'm no longer fit to do my job.

Btw if the 8 keys are what you're looking for when a customer wants to help, Upstate and Bubblehead, have you actually run into a teamster who is trained that will help? Genuinely curious here.

Anytime I need help with an over 70, the company must send me a Teamster to help.
If they fail to do so, the package comes back missed.
It's a contractual requirement put into place when the weight limit for a package went from 70lbs to 150lbs.
As an irreg driver you are entitled to the same assistance in the hub.
I'm suprised you don't know that?

gingerkat

I love the internet... people think they are so awesome in there anonymous state of smack talking. There are people in the world who actually like things, such as music, hard to believe right. And that's why this is America, we all don't HAVE to like the same things. You are probably the old man/woman that drives 10 miles under the speed limit, doesn't use turn signals, doesn't look when changing lanes, and get's mad when people speed around you just to get away from you. If a stereo really distracts you that much that you think your own life is in danger then you probably shouldn't be driving.
So, I'm going to go ahead and derail this thread a little more... you know what pisses me off about people that play really loud but "relaxing" music when on the roadways? You think that you own the car, therefore you are alone and can do what you want. Guess what, your loud, loud, loud, music impacts every one of us out there. When someone plays loud music with all kinds of crazy noise going on, I might not hear an ambulance from a good distance. In that ambulance could be someone's baby, mother, father or just someone needing to get to a hospital and if I can't hear it first, then I can't get over quickly. When I hear a siren, I then start looking for it.

So don't be a dick and play your relaxing music as if you are the only one out there. Go home, play your loud music and piss your neighbors off and let them call the cops like the rest of us do. So don't give that guy grief about smack talking, because look what you're doing.

brown_trousers

I'm pretty sure that one of UPS's requirements for customers when packaging their shipments, is that it can pass a "drop test". Meaning if the package were dropped from "x" height, it will be padded enough not to harm the contents of the package.

wayfair

swollen member
So, I'm going to go ahead and derail this thread a little more... you know what pisses me off about people that play really loud but "relaxing" music when on the roadways? You think that you own the car, therefore you are alone and can do what you want. Guess what, your loud, loud, loud, music impacts every one of us out there. When someone plays loud music with all kinds of crazy noise going on, I might not hear an ambulance from a good distance. In that ambulance could be someone's baby, mother, father or just someone needing to get to a hospital and if I can't hear it first, then I can't get over quickly. When I hear a siren, I then start looking for it.

So don't be a dick and play your relaxing music as if you are the only one out there. Go home, play your loud music and piss your neighbors off and let them call the cops like the rest of us do. So don't give that guy grief about smack talking, because look what you're doing.

derail a little bit more... what about deaf drivers? We have one in carwash...

outta hours

Hello everyone, sorry the over dramatic thread title ;).

Now, to get to the point of why I'm posting this thread. Package was scheduled to arrive friday, the 16th, and it did. I was coming home on my lunch break from work and the driver was at my house, so I got out of my vehicle started talking to my wife who was outside as well. The driver appeared to have slid the package to the front of truck, he then rolled it down the stairs on the passenger side of the truck to get it out and put it on a dolly and wheeled it up to my front door. I wouldn't think that rolling a 98lb package down some stairs is a proper way to move ANYTHING. Long story short, crate was busted, as a result the screws holding it together punctured the subwoofer. I'm just wanting to know if this guy was doing his job right or was just being lazy in the way he unloaded my package.

I just want my speaker fixed or replaced, but new, this speaker costs $759 msrp, I payed $475 for a used one. It can be repaired but I don't know where or how much it would cost to have done either by the manufacturer (preferred) or a reputable shop.

A couple of things.
1.You said it "appeared" he rolled it down the steps. He either did or he didn't, you either saw him do it or you did not. Embellishing what you "thought you may have seen " will not help your damage claim or get the driver into trouble. If that was your intent.

2. If it were slid down the steps it would not have "rolled"end over end out of the truck. Sliding it down the truck steps to the dolly would not do that kind of damage. The corners of the box look fine.

3.A package that heavy and packed that poorly was probably damaged long before he wheeled it up to your door. Or maybe Ebay seller shipped it out in damaged condition. Plenty of those scams out there. Why else would he charge you less for shipping than what he had to pay? That is a red flag to me. Even Seinfeld had an episode dealing with that.

4. There is a reason things online "appear" cheaper, if they didn't no one would take the risk to buy them. But doing the math that "cheaper" than retail price can end up costing you more. You always have to consider shipping costs, insurance, a day off from work if you have to wait at home to sign for it, the claim process if lost, stolen, or damaged, etc. etc. Plus if you need to return it or get a refund most of the time you are out of luck.

5. Your best option if you used Paypal is to file with them. They will refund your money & then the seller can deal with UPS on the damage claim. Taking you out of the loop. You won't have your speaker, but you will have your money back. Unless that is that you desire to remain in the loop ,which by the content of your original post is quite possible.

Nimnim

The Nim
Anytime I need help with an over 70, the company must send me a Teamster to help.
If they fail to do so, the package comes back missed.
It's a contractual requirement put into place when the weight limit for a package went from 70lbs to 150lbs.
As an irreg driver you are entitled to the same assistance in the hub.
I'm suprised you don't know that?

I know the language, I guess I just didn't phrase my question right. Have you ever shown up to a delivery and the recipient is a teamster who is currently not at work, say on vacation, that has offered help for an over 70 they're receiving?

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I know the language, I guess I just didn't phrase my question right. Have you ever shown up to a delivery and the recipient is a teamster who is currently not at work, say on vacation, that has offered help for an over 70 they're receiving?

One time....at band camp.

Harley Rider

34 yrs & done!
Decided to add my two cents in here. Probably going to be alot of part timers that don't like what I have to say and not trying to lump all part timers together. If I had to make a guess on where the package got damaged, I would say it was in transport or sort. In 28 years of driving, I have gone in to help on preload more times than I can count. Usually wind up in the trailer unloading. Most sorters and loaders are new hires making minimum wage (8.50 - 9.50). They are not moving packages hand to surface, especially 0/70 packages. They don't give a crap if a package gets damaged or not. I have seen so many damaged heavy packages come off a trailer it is unreal. Especially when we used trailers with a belly. It looked like someone stood on the flaps and just dropped packages into the belly. For 8.50 an hour, they aren't going to hurt themselves! I have also seen plenty of heavy packages loaded on top of lighter packages, crushing and damaging them. And UPS is wiling to pay the damages instead of paying someone a decent wage. If they paid a little more money, someone might have a little pride in their work. It is a constant revolving door with part time help. They think they want to work until they actually see what they have to do for minimum wage. One of our drivers son went to work on the preload several years ago. He was a really hard worker like his dad that has been driving for over 30 years. He quit after a few months of working the preload. When I asked him why he quit, he said "It takes me an hour to unload a trailer. If someone came up to you and offered you 8.50 to unload that trailer would you do it?" I would have to agree that working part time 10 years or so to become a driver and making low wages does not sound attractive to me.

I am not condoning damaging packages here! Just listing facts as I have seen and experienced. I can guarantee you that if I am buying a new flatscreen or computer or most any thing fragile, I will go to the store and buy it instead of having it shipped UPS or FEDEX.

Indecisi0n

can-you-hear-me-now-767972.jpeg

gingerkat

Cannot begin to count how many opened/damaged flatscreen TV's we have float through. Sorry to say, your post has a lot of truth.
This sort of makes me scratch my head. I always try to figure out why anyone would order a huge flat screen TV and then ship it? I wonder if it's that hard to go to the local Best Buy, Sears, Walmart or where ever to get it? I'm always going to assume that something that delicate is going to get damaged somewhere along the way. Those things are not like martini's ... no shaking or stirring!