Purchasing a Labor Exemption

vantexan

Exactly.

Only under the RLA. Under the NLRA, stikes can be local.

My point is while they can be local, it's highly unlikely.

True. As long as you don't include the facts that FedEx moves more cargo by air than any other company in the world, that FedEx is one of the two largest, if not the largest, mover of overnight packages, and that FedEx has a fleet of planes that is about 50% larger than UPS's (large jets, not including small feeder aircraft).

I'm thinking FedEx is the largest in the U.S., but DHL is still the world's largest.

Doesn't really matter though. I'm saying that we aren't as critical to freight transport as the railroads were in the 1800's/early 1900's. We are just one of a number of choices so it's not life or death that a union is kept out. It's about controlling the money. Of course you'll say differently because you know that as a mgr you'll see your bonuses go bye bye if we unionize. Again, self serving and disingenuous. Don't you make enough already? Don't you get tired of exploiting people so that you and Buffy can hobnob at the club? SIR, HAVE YOU NO SHAME????

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Exactly.

Only under the RLA. Under the NLRA, stikes can be local.

True. As long as you don't include the facts that FedEx moves more cargo by air than any other company in the world, that FedEx is one of the two largest, if not the largest, mover of overnight packages, and that FedEx has a fleet of planes that is about 50% larger than UPS's (large jets, not including small feeder aircraft).

You know, the more you post here, the more you are starting to sound like a FedEx PR Rep, not a courier. Every statement made against FedEx or for a union is countered by something from you that sounds like it came from Memphis. Either you're the most compliant and understanding employee we've ever had, or you're here on behalf of the company. Which is it? Please go ahead and make the usual insinuations that I work for the Teamsters etc. I, however, am an actual courier, not some stick figure that comes on here to deflect anything that sounds bad for the FedEx image.
If you are truly the doormat that you sound like, I feel sorry for you. Does Fred wipe something beside his feet on you too?

I notice that the latest tactic is to emphasize over and over again that FedEx is an airline, which is only partially true, and untrue in the sense which you portray it. If you add-up the number of employees actually involved in true airline operations and compare it with those involved in other aspects of the FedEx empire, you'll quickly realize that air ops are small potatoes. How many couriers do we have vs pilots? How many vehicle mechanics vs aircraft mechanics and on and on. Your case is pitifully weak. You're going to have to call-up Maury and try something new.

quadro

I'm thinking FedEx is the largest in the U.S., but DHL is still the world's largest.
In checking IATA stats DHL doesn't even rank in the top 10.

Doesn't really matter though. I'm saying that we aren't as critical to freight transport as the railroads were in the 1800's/early 1900's. We are just one of a number of choices so it's not life or death that a union is kept out. It's about controlling the money. Of course you'll say differently because you know that as a mgr you'll see your bonuses go bye bye if we unionize. Again, self serving and disingenuous. Don't you make enough already? Don't you get tired of exploiting people so that you and Buffy can hobnob at the club? SIR, HAVE YOU NO SHAME????
As long as you don't need that freight transported overnight. Just one of a number of choices? As in 1. FedEx, 2. UPS, 3. USPS. Do consumers really have a 4th choice? I agree it's not life or death that a union is kept out and you are correct about controlling the money. The unions would love nothing more than to control it. And nice try. I'm not a manager just someone who doesn't believe all the hyperbole that's fed to me on these boards.

quadro

Every statement made against FedEx or for a union is countered by something from you that sounds like it came from Memphis.
It wouldn't be much of a discussion if I just agreed with everything would it? Every post would be "Yup. Me too." All I'm doing is pointing out that the anti-FedEx and pro-union arguments have two sides to them.

I notice that the latest tactic is to emphasize over and over again that FedEx is an airline, which is only partially true, and untrue in the sense which you portray it. If you add-up the number of employees actually involved in true airline operations and compare it with those involved in other aspects of the FedEx empire, you'll quickly realize that air ops are small potatoes. How many couriers do we have vs pilots? How many vehicle mechanics vs aircraft mechanics and on and on. Your case is pitifully weak. You're going to have to call-up Maury and try something new.
I'm not emphasizing the airline aspect. I was responding to the posts that implied it wouldn't be a big deal if FedEx went on strike and that brought about the discussion of the size and scope of FedEx.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It wouldn't be much of a discussion if I just agreed with everything would it? Every post would be "Yup. Me too." All I'm doing is pointing out that the anti-FedEx and pro-union arguments have two sides to them.

I'm not emphasizing the airline aspect. I was responding to the posts that implied it wouldn't be a big deal if FedEx went on strike and that brought about the discussion of the size and scope of FedEx.

No, it wouldn't be that big of a deal because other carriers would take-up the slack. It's especially not a big deal in a slow economy. As I've previously pointed-out, FedEx would probably be flying massive amounts of Priority and Express mail as per the contract, and UPS would see a big jump in business. Like FedEx, you seem to be trying to make a case for some sort of economic collapse if FedEx Express goes on strike. It's a twister, Dorothy!!!

We're not going to have flying monkeys carrying our children away and the sky isn't going to fall. Life will somehow continue if Fred's income stream gets slowed-down for awhile. He can afford to learn his lesson. So far, he's getting an "friend". Perhaps his scholarly skills will be honed through some sort of work stoppage, disruption, or slowdown.

quadro

No, it wouldn't be that big of a deal because other carriers would take-up the slack. It's especially not a big deal in a slow economy. As I've previously pointed-out, FedEx would probably be flying massive amounts of Priority and Express mail as per the contract, and UPS would see a big jump in business. Like FedEx, you seem to be trying to make a case for some sort of economic collapse if FedEx Express goes on strike. It's a twister, Dorothy!!!

We're not going to have flying monkeys carrying our children away and the sky isn't going to fall. Life will somehow continue if Fred's income stream gets slowed-down for awhile. He can afford to learn his lesson. So far, he's getting an "friend". Perhaps his scholarly skills will be honed through some sort of work stoppage, disruption, or slowdown.
How is it not a big deal? You talk about other carriers like they're a dime a dozen. Just to be fair, this is all hypothetical, of course, but interesting discussion nonetheless. If FedEx was on strike, do you really think that the pilots union would not support the couriers? Would they really allow their members to fly planes and in essence support a competitor (USPS)? Not really likely. So that leaves customers with just one choice, UPS, for their overnight shipments. I really don't doubt that UPS could for the most part handle the volume but the gamble is whether or not customers would return to FedEx.

Just food for thought as I realize FedEx employees are a long way from a union, let alone a strike. I'm just not interested in posting a "yup, me too" response.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How is it not a big deal? You talk about other carriers like they're a dime a dozen. Just to be fair, this is all hypothetical, of course, but interesting discussion nonetheless. If FedEx was on strike, do you really think that the pilots union would not support the couriers? Would they really allow their members to fly planes and in essence support a competitor (USPS)? Not really likely. So that leaves customers with just one choice, UPS, for their overnight shipments. I really don't doubt that UPS could for the most part handle the volume but the gamble is whether or not customers would return to FedEx.

Just food for thought as I realize FedEx employees are a long way from a union, let alone a strike. I'm just not interested in posting a "yup, me too" response.

LOL, our pilots support us? No way. They have an incredible deal, and they probably don't care what they're flying around in the plane. There are plenty of smaller cargo carriers that would love to do line-haul for UPS or anyone else. There are a bunch of mothballed freighters in the Arizona desert right now that could be back on-line in a week or two. If they're in "hot" storage...even quicker. I'm guessing FedEx is legally bound to fly the USPS products, but since I'm not familiar with the contract it's just that...a guess.

Our pilots think we're crap for the most part. Most of them are too good to even talk with you these days. Remember when the MD11 crashed in Tokyo? The company went all-out to honor those 2 men, and deservedly so. Would they do that if a courier or RTD got killed in the line of duty. No. A Tampa RTD was killed about 2 months ago. Where's his big time ceremony? There wasn't one, nor is there ever one for the hourly scum. Sorry, the pilots aren't on our side on this one. Fred treats them well because they were smart enough to join ALPA and negotiate the best contract in the business.

bbsam

Staff member
Wow. The pilots think you guys are "crap"? Over at Ground we think you're a bunch of envelope carrying pansies. Not much love for couriers these days!:wink2::happy-very: By the way, Ricochet, that is how one goes about being "not nice" and lacking ing civility. Don't feel bad though. Some of us are just gifted that way.:happy2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Wow. The pilots think you guys are "crap"? Over at Ground we think you're a bunch of envelope carrying pansies. Not much love for couriers these days!:wink2::happy-very: By the way, Ricochet, that is how one goes about being "not nice" and lacking ing civility. Don't feel bad though. Some of us are just gifted that way.:happy2:

You're just mad because I said your drivers were "parolees". If they let Charles Manson out of prison tomorrow and he needed a job, I'm sure some Ground contractor would hire him. None of the customers would even notice him unless he's still got that swastika on his forehead. I guess he could put a Band-Aid over it. How's that for civility?

bbsam

Staff member
You're just mad because I said your drivers were "parolees". If they let Charles Manson out of prison tomorrow and he needed a job, I'm sure some Ground contractor would hire him. None of the customers would even notice him unless he's still got that swastika on his forehead. I guess he could put a Band-Aid over it. How's that for civility?

Come now. Charles is just a little misunderstood. I, with my past, am a firm believer in the idea that people deserve a second chance. And you can call ground drivers anything you like. You call them parolees and I will pay them accordingly.:happy-very:

quadro

LOL, our pilots support us? No way. They have an incredible deal, and they probably don't care what they're flying around in the plane. There are plenty of smaller cargo carriers that would love to do line-haul for UPS or anyone else. There are a bunch of mothballed freighters in the Arizona desert right now that could be back on-line in a week or two. If they're in "hot" storage...even quicker. I'm guessing FedEx is legally bound to fly the USPS products, but since I'm not familiar with the contract it's just that...a guess.

Our pilots think we're crap for the most part. Most of them are too good to even talk with you these days. Remember when the MD11 crashed in Tokyo? The company went all-out to honor those 2 men, and deservedly so. Would they do that if a courier or RTD got killed in the line of duty. No. A Tampa RTD was killed about 2 months ago. Where's his big time ceremony? There wasn't one, nor is there ever one for the hourly scum. Sorry, the pilots aren't on our side on this one. Fred treats them well because they were smart enough to join ALPA and negotiate the best contract in the business.
So you are asking me to believe that ALPA, a union, would encourage its members to cross picket lines? Where's the brotherly love? I remember the MD11 crash and saw some photos of the courier procession for one of the pilots. I think it was in Texas, if I'm not mistaken. I've seen the same thing for a couple of other employees who died over the years and those employees were couriers. How do you know there wasn't a FedEx funeral procession for the Tampa RTD?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So you are asking me to believe that ALPA, a union, would encourage its members to cross picket lines? Where's the brotherly love? I remember the MD11 crash and saw some photos of the courier procession for one of the pilots. I think it was in Texas, if I'm not mistaken. I've seen the same thing for a couple of other employees who died over the years and those employees were couriers. How do you know there wasn't a FedEx funeral procession for the Tampa RTD?

I doubt that our very well compensated pilots would honor a picket line. Hopefully, I'm wrong. The honors accorded to the pilots far exceeded anything I've ever seen or heard of being done for an RTD or a courier. I seriously doubt that the Tampa RTD had the CEO attend a memorial for him or that it was reported on in either the media or on the FedEx corporate website. Would his body have been flown home (if need be)as the pilots were? Or was he accorded anything at all other than from his friends at his station and his family? The answer would be no because we are the worker bees and are much more expendable than a pilot.

My point is that we don't matter very much in the corporate scheme of things. Pilots and big-time execs do. Please continue to defend the company at every opportunity so you can earn a BZ, attaboy, pat on the back or whatever reason it is you're such an apologist. Or is it a paycheck?

quadro

I doubt that our very well compensated pilots would honor a picket line. Hopefully, I'm wrong. The honors accorded to the pilots far exceeded anything I've ever seen or heard of being done for an RTD or a courier. I seriously doubt that the Tampa RTD had the CEO attend a memorial for him or that it was reported on in either the media or on the FedEx corporate website. Would his body have been flown home (if need be)as the pilots were? Or was he accorded anything at all other than from his friends at his station and his family? The answer would be no because we are the worker bees and are much more expendable than a pilot.

My point is that we don't matter very much in the corporate scheme of things. Pilots and big-time execs do. Please continue to defend the company at every opportunity so you can earn a BZ, attaboy, pat on the back or whatever reason it is you're such an apologist. Or is it a paycheck?
If I say something incorrect about a union or something that is debatable and you correct me or provide an opposing viewpoint, that doesn't make you a union defender or apologist. Unfortunately it seems around here the reverse isn't true.

Anyway, just because you haven't seen or heard about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Do you know for a fact that nothing was done for the Tampa RTD? If not, then don't present your opinion as fact. Thankfully for all of us, couriers and RTD's are not getting killed on the job on a regular basis but it does happen and it happens far more often than pilots getting killed.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
If I say something incorrect about a union or something that is debatable and you correct me or provide an opposing viewpoint, that doesn't make you a union defender or apologist. Unfortunately it seems around here the reverse isn't true.

Anyway, just because you haven't seen or heard about it doesn't mean it doesn't happen. Do you know for a fact that nothing was done for the Tampa RTD? If not, then don't present your opinion as fact. Thankfully for all of us, couriers and RTD's are not getting killed on the job on a regular basis but it does happen and it happens far more often than pilots getting killed.

I'm not the one always defending the company. You've read enough of my posts to know that I've also been very critical of the IBT and Mr Hoffa. No, I don't know that nothing was done for the Tampa RTD, but the lack of information circulating around the company in comparison to the pilots seems to confirm that it wasn't nearly as big a deal. The only reason I even know about it is that an RTD friend of mine read about it in the news and relayed the information to me. I've seen zero from the corporation about it. It did happen, and he was (tragically) killed. It should be as important as those guys in Tokyo but obviously is not.