Question for ST LOUIS drivers

UnconTROLLed

perfection
My husband is a UPS driver in a smaller city in Missouri and we are considering moving to STL. He has a pretty good rural route where we are at and worries about moving, but I really want to. How bad of a route would he end up on in STL with about 12 years under his belt at UPS here? Also, is there any other info you can add about being a driver in STL...especially anything positive?!
Pruitt-igoe-birdseye.jpg

Krys88

While that's certainly true the chances of a transfer working are very slim. I'm really surprised being there that long that he wouldn't know that.
Well, we wouldn't need to move immediately--I'd like to in the next 4-5 years--I can always get a better paying job in St. Louis, so there is no rush for the job for me. It just sucks that he would be at the bottom on seniority if he did end up getting a transfer.

Krys88

Well, we wouldn't need to move immediately--I'd like to in the next 4-5 years--I can always get a better paying job in St. Louis, so there is no rush for the job for me. It just sucks that he would be at the bottom on seniority if he did end up getting a transfer.
So he probably knows it would be impossible to get a transfer immediately

Re-Raise

I don't think he could ever transfer without quitting and being rehired.

It would create a nightmare if people could just bump into another center whenever they felt like it.

Put yourself in the position of the part-timer waiting years for the chance to go full-time. How would that be fair to let someone from another area come in and take his or her spot?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Put yourself in the position of the part-timer waiting years for the chance to go full-time. How would that be fair to let someone from another area come in and take his or her spot?

...or (god forbid) an off the street hire came in and leap frogged over those who had "earned" the right to go driving...

box_beeyotch

...or (god forbid) an off the street hire came in and leap frogged over those who had "earned" the right to go driving...

To be fair I know everything is based on seniority. I know guys who are low seniority who deserve it more than some guys who have it, but its all part of the job and eventually they will be the guys who won't be able to hack it anyway. This job isn't for everyone.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
The transfer process is outlined in his local supplement. Im pretty sure he would loose all bidding senority

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The transfer process is outlined in his local supplement. Im pretty sure he would loose all bidding senority
I'm pretty sure there's two ways to transfer as a full timer in local 688 and he would not lose bidding seniority in either case.

Just Lurking

As Brownslave688 said before, FT employees can transfer in Local 688 without losing seniority for an area wide bid.

The other way would be to ask for a 4th move giveaway. 1st moves are area wide bids, 2nd and 3rd bids are in center bids and the 4th move is a giveaway (ask from top and force from bottom of the unassigned). He can ask the company to allow the 4th giveaway move. They are not contractually required to allow the giveaway transfer. After the 1st move it must be classification only too (package>package, feeder>feeder and Art. 22>Art. 22). This would be the only way to get a decent route with 12 years in.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We've had several drivers transfer in. They maintain vacation seniority but go to the bottom on bidding seniority.
And that's probably right for YOUR local.

We know for a fact the op is asking about local 688.

Me and just lurking answered their question already.