Questions about working with a disability

I'm sure my coworkers will recognize me with this information if they read the forums. Oh well.

A few months ago I was diagnosed with a nerve disorder that affects my face. (Trigeminal Neuralgia) I work preload and am loved by my drivers and most of those who work close to me. My concerns are as follows.

1. Inability to speak on some days due to pain renders me unable to call out eregs.
2. Pain at times can make it difficult for me to focus, though my misload rate is less than everyone else on my metro. 2 for the month compared to as high as 30ish. Average load is around 1400 pieces with a pph of 200-220.
3. Recently need help far more often to finish loading on time.

Been with the company since July 2014. My full time supervisor assures me I am doing fine and to just keep them informed. I've called in once since my diagnosis, and I informed my supervisor well in advance that after a medical procedure I may not make it in the next day. Called him directly as well as the tower the day before I was going to be out.

I am a stubborn person so I don't care if I am puking my guts up between the grates, sobbing from pain or whatever. I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability until a supervisor sends me home. I tend to lose it more from frustration than anything; I detest that this pain has such a hold on me. I'm not talking pulled a muscle, or sore from busting my ass here. I'm talking pain that is off the charts. My own doc rated my pain at diagnosis at a 20 on a 10 scale.

I do know things I can do to help reduce pain. Narcotics won't touch nerve pain, so while I am on medication, it's not an opioid. I keep my fan off unless I am about to pass out as the airflow triggers my pain.

Other than documenting everything possible, would you have any other advice for me? I have to head out the door in 30 minutes for shift start, but will check back after work.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Id be collecting social security and parking in the handicap spot at Walmart. But that's just me
Agreed, but that's no way to live long term. It's a life of poverty.
I'd follow that move up with a Pell Grant, get a good education, and find an accommodating desk job in a state with medical marijuana.

Sounds like management is being reasonable at this point, should give her time to figure out a long term plan. Gotta give her props for wanting to earn her way.

Loyal Teamster

U might want to start thinking about career change, UPS is very physically demanding. Might not be best for you. Talk with ur local about maybe getting a temporary medical leave and keeping ur health insurance .

Turdferguson

Just a turd
I'm sure my coworkers will recognize me with this information if they read the forums. Oh well.

A few months ago I was diagnosed with a nerve disorder that affects my face. (Trigeminal Neuralgia) I work preload and am loved by my drivers and most of those who work close to me. My concerns are as follows.

1. Inability to speak on some days due to pain renders me unable to call out eregs.
2. Pain at times can make it difficult for me to focus, though my misload rate is less than everyone else on my metro. 2 for the month compared to as high as 30ish. Average load is around 1400 pieces with a pph of 200-220.

Been with the company since July 2014. My full time supervisor assures me I am doing fine and to just keep them informed. I've called in once since my diagnosis, and I informed my supervisor well in advance that after a medical procedure I may not make it in the next day. Called him directly as well as the tower the day before I was going to be out.

I am a stubborn person so I don't care if I am puking my guts up between the grates, sobbing from pain or whatever. I will continue to do my job to the best of my ability until a supervisor sends me home. I tend to lose it more from frustration than anything; I detest that this pain has such a hold on me. I'm not talking pulled a muscle, or sore from busting my ass here. I'm talking pain that is off the charts. My own doc rated my pain at diagnosis at a 20 on a 10 scale.

I do know things I can do to help reduce pain. Narcotics won't touch nerve pain, so while I am on medication, it's not an opioid. I keep my fan off unless I am about to pass out as the airflow triggers my pain.

Other than documenting everything possible, would you have any other advice for me? I have to head out the door in 30 minutes for shift start, but will check back after work.
If it gets too bad you might want to inquire about other jobs than loading. It sounds as if you have a good rapport with local management and they be inclined to help you with a less physically demanding job out there. Good luck

Johney

As long as you show up and do your job you're fine, the minute you become a problem or liability you're done. Do as Indecision said and look into FMLA quick.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus

You go girl with your bad self! Who said women we're the weaker sex???? I'll be praying for you.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
If you're as good as you claim I'd bend over backwards to get you in a position where you'd be less physically hurting. Good, hard working PTers are rare. Talk to your management team and see if they can get you in a better spot. It may not happen, but it's worth a shot.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
U might want to start thinking about career change, UPS is very physically demanding. Might not be best for you. Talk with ur local about maybe getting a temporary medical leave and keeping ur health insurance .
She could open up a storefront on Amazon or eBay.

Id be collecting social security and parking in the handicap spot at Walmart. But that's just me

Hehe. It's not quite that simple. TN affects about 3% of the world population and qualifying for disability is almost impossible if that is your only diagnosis. Besides, I'd go nuts sitting at home not working.

I actually like the physical aspect of the job. That's why I get so frustrated when I need help.

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I do have alot of support from not just management but from the people who work closest to me. They know how much pain I am in as they have seen me break down in tears, still loading boxes while sobbing. I've never been one to sit idle. I've worked since I was able to get a job at 16. I'm mid 30's now and while I do have a few scars, aches and pains I push through. I admit I have a high pain tolerance, but this illness makes me feel like such a damn sissy.

I can't use FMLA as I've already taken my 3 months this year for hand surgery to repair a torn tendon. The day I came back from that I was hugged by just about everyone I came across. They were glad to have me back and I was glad to be back.

I'm fairly new to my diagnosis, (March of this year) so I am still learning. I'm sure once we get the meds figured out to control the pain without knocking me on my ass or turning me into a zombie I will be ok. I am in an online support group for this illness on facebook, and have learned alot of coping skills to help me through. As well as things that help and things that can make it worse.
As far as women being weaker than men, I disagree. We just have to work harder to get the same stuff done. I'm no girly girl so I don't mind getting in there and getting it done by any means necessary. I can't stand chicks who play the gender card. Those videos of little old ladies still kicking ass, that is totally going to be me one day. :rockon:

I've had about 5 hours sleep in the last 48 hours, so I am going to get some sleep after I stuff my face.

And Badpal, gentle hugs and prayers to your cousin!

Loyal Teamster

Thanks for the input so far everyone. I do have alot of support from not just management but from the people who work closest to me. They know how much pain I am in as they have seen me break down in tears, still loading boxes while sobbing. I've never been one to sit idle. I've worked since I was able to get a job at 16. I'm mid 30's now and while I do have a few scars, aches and pains I push through. I admit I have a high pain tolerance, but this illness makes me feel like such a damn sissy.

I can't use FMLA as I've already taken my 3 months this year for hand surgery to repair a torn tendon. The day I came back from that I was hugged by just about everyone I came across. They were glad to have me back and I was glad to be back.

I'm fairly new to my diagnosis, (March of this year) so I am still learning. I'm sure once we get the meds figured out to control the pain without knocking me on my ass or turning me into a zombie I will be ok. I am in an online support group for this illness on facebook, and have learned alot of coping skills to help me through. As well as things that help and things that can make it worse.
As far as women being weaker than men, I disagree. We just have to work harder to get the same stuff done. I'm no girly girl so I don't mind getting in there and getting it done by any means necessary. I can't stand chicks who play the gender card. Those videos of little old ladies still kicking ass, that is totally going to be me one day. :rockon:

I've had about 5 hours sleep in the last 48 hours, so I am going to get some sleep after I stuff my face.

And Badpal, gentle hugs and prayers to your cousin!
What state r u in, have u tried Medical Marijuana?

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
I actually like the physical aspect of the job. That's why I get so frustrated when I need help.
The physical aspects of loading....regardless of your recent diagnosis can and will ruin you physically. The human body wasn't meant to lift and carry thousands of pounds everyday. I'm in my mid 30's and loaded for almost a decade. Screw the ups workout....if you can get yourself moved to small sort...take it! I wish I had sooner, I have a chronic tear in my Achilles from stemming from loading and a comp injury a few years ago....I'll need surgery to fix it. Small sort is a vacation compared to loading.....and you can always join a gym.