Random oddity

laffter

One of the trucks I loaded today had 10 pieces of Next Day Air (not Savers) for a single stop PAL'd to 78xx. At first I thought wtf... but then I noticed that the NDA labels were covering up 2-day air labels. It seems like the service level was upgraded? Why would this happen, and was this initiated by the shipper or by UPS? And why was it sequenced to the 7000 shelf? If the 1030 time commitment wasn't important, I imagine it should have been upgraded to NDA Saver. I went ahead and put them all on the 1000 shelf for the driver to see, anyway, just in case.

Bagels

Family Leave Fridays!!!
Many shippers slap NDA stickers over the tracking label, covering up the proper service level in the process in hopes that the package will be mistakenly treated as a NDA. It's pretty common, although not as much as 10 years ago or so. Generally when clerks upgrade service levels, they provide some indication on the package. Of course, this may not always be the case.

It's also common for shippers to reuse NDA tracking labels, generally placing the new address on a printed sticker over the old one. Gotta learn the scams...

Thebrownstreak

The only thing I can think of is that it might be dispatched for the end of the 7000 shelf because the driver delivers to a dock stop early in his day and its a bulk stop. I use to have a housing authority that would get several large boxes and they had a loading dock. So instead of loading it up front, the dispatcher put it in the rear of package car so it would be easier to deliver. I hope you told the driver that u did that, or he was gonna be looking for a while.

One of the trucks I loaded today had 10 pieces of Next Day Air (not Savers) for a single stop PAL'd to 78xx. At first I thought wtf... but then I noticed that the NDA labels were covering up 2-day air labels. It seems like the service level was upgraded? Why would this happen, and was this initiated by the shipper or by UPS? And why was it sequenced to the 7000 shelf? If the 1030 time commitment wasn't important, I imagine it should have been upgraded to NDA Saver. I went ahead and put them all on the 1000 shelf for the driver to see, anyway, just in case.
Atta boy

laffter

The only thing I can think of is that it might be dispatched for the end of the 7000 shelf because the driver delivers to a dock stop early in his day and its a bulk stop. I use to have a housing authority that would get several large boxes and they had a loading dock. So instead of loading it up front, the dispatcher put it in the rear of package car so it would be easier to deliver. I hope you told the driver that u did that, or he was gonna be looking for a while.

Our dispatcher isn't that thoughtful. This is also a split "junk" route that changes day to day. But I get what you mean, anyway.

laffter

When I say NDA label, I don't mean a sticker that just says Next Day Air on it. If I recall correctly, it was actually a half shipping label with a barcode, covering up the lower half of the original label. The delivery address is still on the original label, but this is the barcode the driver is going to scan when he makes the delivery.

Indecisi0n

When I say NDA label, I don't mean a sticker that just says Next Day Air on it. If I recall correctly, it was actually a half shipping label with a barcode, covering up the lower half of the original label. The delivery address is still on the original label, but this is the barcode the driver is going to scan when he makes the delivery.

If it doesn't say 10:30 in my board its not a NDA.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

That would be a service upgrade.
If it doesn't say 10:30 in my board its not a NDA.

Service level upgrades are used when premium packages are delayed due to an error on our part. The delivery commit time is not changed; however, the packages are upgraded to make sure they reach their destination on the original scheduled delivery date.

The OP should not move packages from the 7000 to the 1000 without letting the driver know.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

I do what I want!!!

Anyway, I asked the dispatch guy about it today and he said it might not have been upgraded properly. Whatever that means.

A proper upgrade does include changing the service level and commit time. If they were properly upgraded to NDA they should have been PAL'd to the 1000 shelf.

oldngray

nowhere special
I often have NDA assigned to the 3000 section.

I would get NDA in 2000 and 3000 section. The system tries to say you can get about 3 hours of work in an hour. You can bitch about it but it will still keep happening. I think the way my sup fixed it was changing commit times on my areas to 9:30 in the system (but in reality still 10:30) so it would automatically send them to 1000 shelf. Of course a kludge like that wouldn't be necessary if everything worked as well as its claimed to.

Indecisi0n

I would get NDA in 2000 and 3000 section. The system tries to say you can get about 3 hours of work in an hour. You can bitch about it but it will still keep happening. I think the way my sup fixed it was changing commit times on my areas to 9:30 in the system (but in reality still 10:30) so it would automatically send them to 1000 shelf. Of course a kludge like that wouldn't be necessary if everything worked as well as its claimed to.

Just helps your case when they pull you in the office for times.

HBGPreloader

The commit time my drivers deal with is 10:30. And, I frequently find NDA on the 2000 - 3000 and sometimes the 4000 shelf.
One car gets them on the 6900 shelf even though the receiver rarely, if ever, gets large packages or a bulk delivery to a loading dock.
So, when I catch these odd airs, I just move them to the 1000 shelf and let the driver deal with it.