Refund of Union Initiation Fee

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
I have been able to get 3 seasonal workers hired on permanently after Peak so it sounds like it your "best" may not have been good enough after all.

Despite Dave's prowess at getting his helper re-hired, he does have a point.

If you didn't get re-hired after three peaks, you can only look to yourself for the reason.

(Dave, I helped at least five helpers to get hired inside.)

bleedinbrown58

That’s Craptacular
Now THERE'S the truth among all of this ridiculous rhetoric.

I don't know. I thought I did put out my best effort. Seems to me from reading threads here for a while that even if you do, it often won't matter at UPS.
So, it's Brown's fault? Did it ever occur to you that maybe your best just wasn't up to their standards? This place isn't for everyone.

P

pickup

Back to the Original Poster's Complaint. The problem I have with the seasonal workers at my hub is that HR does not tell them union dues will be deducted.

So a seasonal feeder guy comes in at the beginning of September and sometime in November, the union finally gets the paperwork through and nails the seasonal driver for two month's union dues from one paycheck( for October and November). That stings and that's when the guy finds out he is paying union dues.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
No. It's theft. They pay and get nothing

They get the Union negotiated rate of pay.

If that isn't enough for a seasonal....

They can always go work as door greeter at Walmart.

I agree as long as there is full disclosure.

These seasonal employees should be presented with the rules and options before it is too late.

I have never heard a seasonal say, they weren't informed it was a Union shop.

Why is it we are only concerned with public perception in regards to strikes?

Not sure what you mean with that.

Back to the Original Poster's Complaint. The problem I have with the seasonal workers at my hub is that HR does not tell them union dues will be deducted.

So a seasonal feeder guy comes in at the beginning of September and sometime in November, the union finally gets the paperwork through and nails the seasonal driver for two month's union dues from one paycheck( for October and November). That stings and that's when the guy finds out he is paying union dues.

Seasonal feeder drivers are defiantly aware UPS is a Union shop.

That's why they are here.

They want to make some money.... for a change. :biggrin:

-Bug-

P

pickup

Seasonal feeder drivers are defiantly aware UPS is a Union shop.

That's why they are here.

They want to make some money.... for a change.

-Bug-

About oh, 5 years ago, seasonal feeders drivers in local 804 were paid $16.10 an hour, and were definitely made aware that they would never be hired on permanently. What no one told them was that they were going to be paying union dues. FACT!

Last edited by a moderator:
P

pickup

And what do they get in re
WOW!

They can always go (back) to a non-union shop.

And still make .32 cents a mile.

Just say'n....

-Bug-

I am sure if a manager , in response to a complaint(legitimate or not) from you, said "You can always flip burgers at McDonalds if you don't like it here" that you would see the utter lunacy of his argument.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
I have never heard a seasonal say, they weren't informed it was a Union shop.

-Bug-

How many have you talked to recently?
Annually, I am bombarded by phone calls from drivers when their helpers receive their first check and its a hundred plus dollars short.
Again, I'm all for them paying dues while they work a job with union negotiated wages.
What I don't understand is what they are being charged an initiation fee for?
Without this being fully disclosed by the company and the local union when they are hired, with no chance of actually joining the union in the position they were hired, charging them an initiation fee is at the very least hazing and at the the very most extortion.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
Annually, I am bombarded by phone calls from drivers when their helpers receive their first check and its a hundred plus dollars short.
Again, I'm all for them paying dues while they work a job with union negotiated wages.
What I don't understand is what they are being charged an initiation fee for?

That sounds like an issue.... with your Local.

-Bug-

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Why is it we are only concerned with public perception in regards to strikes?
Not sure what you mean with that.

-Bug-

Perhaps you would understand if it was your college age son or daughter, who came home from school and got a job at UPS to earn some money during their break, then came home with a pay check for next to nothing for their hard work, with the majority of their earnings going to the union in the form of an initiation fee.
Do you think it is the company or the union that gets the black eye in this scenario?

upschuck

In my local, the only people that pay dues is the drivers, feeders and delivery, and only for the weeks they actually work in those positions. No seasonal inside employee, or helpers pay a dime.