Rehire pt sup to PE? question

prana

I got offered to be rehired as an oms. It's what I did before I left and my replacement quit right before peak so my hub is panicking. I recently finished an engineering degree and was looking to go into PE before I left. Anyone know if it's possible to go FT soon as a rehire? I was told they normally hire PE off the street so I think if I was rehired, I would have a leg up as an insider. Any advice besides run away? Haha thx

Sent using BrownCafe App

Fenris

I got offered to be rehired as an oms. It's what I did before I left and my replacement quit right before peak so my hub is panicking. I recently finished an engineering degree and was looking to go into PE before I left. Anyone know if it's possible to go FT soon as a rehire? I was told they normally hire PE off the street so I think if I was rehired, I would have a leg up as an insider. Any advice besides run away? Haha thx

Sent using BrownCafe App
Plant Engineering does not prefer to hire off the street. If you have familiarity with operations and can demonstrate work ethic, etc you would have a leg up. There is a fair amount of opportunity in all functions, including PE, because of all of the new sorts, buildings and expansions.

pe_gal

PE will hire from both inside and outside. There has been a lot of opportunity in the department due to capacity projects. Definitely talk with the local PE manager about your interest or check the internal management job postings on line.

wkmac

Sent using BrownCafe App

prana,

I'm a PE mechanic with 33 years and I'm not going to tell you to run away but I will tell you to explore all options even outside UPS. PE IMO is not what it use to be. From my POV, our core focus on the upper management side has been watered down by PE taking on other areas not related to that core mission. Again, from my POV, seems more about grasping for power and importance at the top rather than focusing on success where it counts in the trenches. And my opinions are a condemnation of the top and not the day in/day out PE sups and local management trapped by the same BS.

All that said, if you are going to pursue this route, here's some advice that could help. I don't know your degree but get a grasp of electrical. We are going more and more into technology and the more ahead of the curve you are, the easier it will be for you.

Also where you are will play into this next advice but if you have a mechanic crew willing, suit up and work big jobs with them. Go out and actually learn it. See it from their perspective and at the same time learn their personalities and talents. All mechanics are not alike, each have areas of strengths and weakness. Learn that and learn how to maximize it for effectiveness. Most mechanics will respect you for it.

These days I know vastly more than any supervisor I get about how things work on the floor and the supervisor I respect the most are the ones who recognize they don't know it all but want to learn. I tell any of them that the only dumb question is the one they refused to ask because they think it will make them look stupid. When it all is the most gratifying is when we have a big issue and the supervisor is right there with us brainstorming for a solution. They have skin in the game. To many supervisors now are out to build their own portfolio just to move up and never give pause to what Jim Casey spoke of in building a legacy. The supervisors I remember and miss the most build a legacy and not a portfolio.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

Catatonic

Nine Lives
When it all is the most gratifying is when we have a big issue and the supervisor is right there with us brainstorming for a solution. They have skin in the game. To many supervisors now are out to build their own portfolio just to move up and never give pause to what Jim Casey spoke of in building a legacy. The supervisors I remember and miss the most build a legacy and not a portfolio.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose.

The latter is a smart person's reaction to the new UPS instituted by the public offering and consequent reactions to the market.
Prana should be willing to accept that as reality if hired, learn as much as possible at UPS and move on within 3 - 4 years.

prana

I am officially rehired. I'm back into my old OMS spot. My degree is mechanical engineering but I have taken EE classes and am very familiar with electrical tech: PLC, circuits, etc. I definitely understand a lot of the operation side. I literally picked up from 6 months ago and am doing it like I never even left which my management loves since peak is right around the corner.

I definitely feel like, I am honestly, not being used to my full potential which is why I am hoping to find a FT engineering ups job soon and am also keeping my options open.