"Required" breaks at Express

MAKAVELI

My goodness, you're a special flavor of dumb.
And yet you have nothing to backup your claim as to the " leeway" in the meal break policy. I follow my state laws regarding breaks. Nothing more , nothing less and never have been disciplined for not taking and hour regardless of what stooges like yourself has has said.

Sparky

If they know the delay is going to be stupid long you have the option of going out and having the rest of your freight shuttled out or returning for nearby routes.
And with the bbqs and whatnot, they want you off the clock if you are attending and if they need to ask you anything at the end of the day the first words out of any managers mouth is always "you still on the clock?"

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
And yet you have nothing to backup your claim as to the " leeway" in the meal break policy.

Uh oh, we got a station lawyer postin' on the board!

There is no corporate requirement or restriction on breaks within the first or last hours of work. Some managers don't care if you take your break(s) during those times, while others are pretty strict about it for whatever reasons.

Whatever the policy is at any particular station is dependent upon what you management team decides, applicable laws notwithstanding.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Uh oh, we got a station lawyer postin' on the board!

There is no corporate requirement or restriction on breaks within the first or last hours of work. Some managers don't care if you take your break(s) during those times, while others are pretty strict about it for whatever reasons.

Whatever the policy is at any particular station is dependent upon what you management team decides, applicable laws notwithstanding.

WUT? I've had plenty of managers tell me exactly what you're telling me they don't. Keep lying like a rug...it just adds to your credibility here. "Whatever reasons" sounds like another FedEx excuse for arbitrary management practices based on "policy" they've just pulled out of their ass.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
WUT? I've had plenty of managers tell me exactly what you're telling me they don't. Keep lying like a rug...it just adds to your credibility here. "Whatever reasons" sounds like another FedEx excuse for arbitrary management practices based on "policy" they've just pulled out of their ass.
Same place they got Dano from.

!Retired!

Our freight was late yesterday. My manager came over and told us we have time to take 30 minutes if we wanted to, or code 43. I chose to take my break and was out of there by 2:00. The guy next to me chose to code 43.

I run FO, so it wasn't in my first hour anyway.

outtatime

Our freight was late yesterday. My manager came over and told us we have time to take 30 minutes if we wanted to, or code 43. I chose to take my break and was out of there by 2:00. The guy next to me chose to code 43.

I run FO, so it wasn't in my first hour anyway.
The problem with taking your break at that time is when you finish your route at a decent time, then have to go help someone else who decided to take the 43 instead and are now complaining they won't be able to make all their deliveries.

Star B

White Lightening
"Whatever reasons" sounds like another FedEx excuse for arbitrary management practices based on "policy" they've just pulled out of their ass.

Or the fact that there isn't one policy because California requires couriers to take a break every hour because the vehicles we use contain a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer, Florida requires anyone over the age of 55 to get three paid naps, and anyone in Texas has to be able to be issued a handgun during their break.

The first hour, last hour guideline has two purposes that I can see.... one is to make sure that breaks are rest periods during the day (as breaks are intended to be)... the other reason is to help keep the operation running smoothly. It would interrupt the flow if AM couriers showed up, clocked in, and then immediately went on break during a normal day... trucks wouldn't get loaded quickly, causing delays downline. The last hour.... in reverse... everyone running and gunning it during the day, and then sitting on break in the station when the upload should be happening.

Personally, I like the fact that we are free to choose (for the most part) when we want to take our breaks. That way I can break at the local diner with the really cute blonde girl that wears a V neck cut everyday versus being told I MUST take my break between 1200 and 1230, no matter where I am... which would leave me dashboard dining most days.

So, yeah, management will take advantage of the situation when delayed freight comes in and suggests/tells people to take their breaks. They are just making sure their numbers look good because that's what Memphis told them to do. Do you think that local mgmt wants to sit and worry about all those stupid useless metrics? Some might, but I'm pretty sure the majority wants to manage freely and make sure that our customers are being serviced.

outatime brings up a good point. breaking earlier may mean you're the bitch because someone else took the 43. Even better reason to not break during a delay.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Or the fact that there isn't one policy because California requires couriers to take a break every hour because the vehicles we use contain a substance known to the state of California to cause cancer, Florida requires anyone over the age of 55 to get three paid naps, and anyone in Texas has to be able to be issued a handgun during their break.

The first hour, last hour guideline has two purposes that I can see.... one is to make sure that breaks are rest periods during the day (as breaks are intended to be)... the other reason is to help keep the operation running smoothly. It would interrupt the flow if AM couriers showed up, clocked in, and then immediately went on break during a normal day... trucks wouldn't get loaded quickly, causing delays downline. The last hour.... in reverse... everyone running and gunning it during the day, and then sitting on break in the station when the upload should be happening.

Personally, I like the fact that we are free to choose (for the most part) when we want to take our breaks. That way I can break at the local diner with the really cute blonde girl that wears a V neck cut everyday versus being told I MUST take my break between 1200 and 1230, no matter where I am... which would leave me dashboard dining most days.

So, yeah, management will take advantage of the situation when delayed freight comes in and suggests/tells people to take their breaks. They are just making sure their numbers look good because that's what Memphis told them to do. Do you think that local mgmt wants to sit and worry about all those stupid useless metrics? Some might, but I'm pretty sure the majority wants to manage freely and make sure that our customers are being serviced.

outatime brings up a good point. breaking earlier may mean you're the bitch because someone else took the 43. Even better reason to not break during a delay.

Right, but how many times do managers claim something is "policy", when it isn't?

Star B

White Lightening
Too often... but then are they fully versed on it or are they regurgitating what they were told when they first started?

overflowed

Too often... but then are they fully versed on it or are they regurgitating what they were told when they first started?
Just some insight into this response. I had a manager that was ok, he told me when hired from a csa the Sm gave him the keys to his office and said good luck. No, training or anything as of yet. He didn't leave for training for quite a while. So, I have full confidence most managers have no idea what the hell they are doing.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Just some insight into this response. I had a manager that was ok, he told me when hired from a csa the Sm gave him the keys to his office and said good luck. No, training or anything as of yet. He didn't leave for training for quite a while. So, I have full confidence most managers have no idea what the hell they are doing.

Actions speak louder than words. What makes it worse is that the candidate pool is about 3 inches deep and covered with algae.

SmithBarney

Actions speak louder than words. What makes it worse is that the candidate pool is about 3 inches deep and covered with algae.

Just ask your SM, if 10 Managers don't show up tomorrow, will the packages get delivered on time?
Then ask him if 10 CRRs don't show up to work tomorrow, will the packages get delivered on time?

Then ask him which position is more essential to the company? Just remember these managers know who is essential and who isn't, most of the Manager positions aren't essential.

dezguy

Just ask your SM, if 10 Managers don't show up tomorrow, will the packages get delivered on time?
Then ask him if 10 CRRs don't show up to work tomorrow, will the packages get delivered on time?

Then ask him which position is more essential to the company? Just remember these managers know who is essential and who isn't, most of the Manager positions aren't essential.
I find it very telling, when there are no managers in the building operations seem to run so much smooth.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!

Whatever, pal.

If you want to have a 5000 post volley with someone about the break policy, it won't be with me. I know the first hour/last hour break policy, you don't. That's the way it is and all of your message board histrionics won't change it. You can accept it or not, it's not my problem. I don't know who tells you what, I don't care, and I've never said "No one tells you [whatever]." Take it up with them.