Retirement Estimator/Calculator

Non liberal

There's no survivorship options for you?
I have four choices

A 10-year certain payout
A 50% survivorship option
A 75% survivorship option
For 100% survivorship option
But each one of those comes with a cost
Yes there is a survivorship option, I’m just talking about the market, ups or whatever going under. My pension statements say that I will get so much per month, but in small print it says 36months guaranteed. So after 3 yrs my pension is no longer guaranteed.

Yes there is a survivorship option, I’m just talking about the market, ups or whatever going under. My pension statements say that I will get so much per month, but in small print it says 36months guaranteed. So after 3 yrs my pension is no longer guaranteed.
That's only if the fund goes under and you will still get some money if it does go under

ThePackageDeli

I don't know, that calculator doesn't work for my plan, but that doesn't sound right. Every plan that I know of is basically either you work X years and you get Y money, or you have X contributions and you get Y money. Does the calculator maybe presume you're working those years that you are waiting?
I spent a good deal of time looking at it last weekend. It's based on 0.5% per month (6% per year) reduction for every month you begin to draw the pension before age 65. If you wait til age 65 to start drawing it, you get the full amount you're entitled to.

For my example, if I begin drawing immediately after I quit, I'll receive $270/month, basically nothing. But, if I wait until age 65 to draw, it'll be $2500/month.

Also, this applies to everyone retiring or quitting with less than 25 years of service.

Last edited:

BrownFlush

Woke Racist Reigning Ban King
1708437052750.png

Red Headed Stranger

I'm not even close yet either but a near retired UPS lifer was telling me you can draw from your 401k at 55 with no penalty if you have 30 years with the same co, have you seen this?
You do not have to have 30 years in with your employer. They two key points are leaving your employer between the ages of 55 and 59 1/2 and making the choice to withdraw funds from your 401(k) at that time. When I left my former employer (retired at 55), they gave me the choice if I wanted to take my 401k money out without penalty. I chose to leave it in (not take the withdrawal at age 55), then did a direct rollover into an IRA. Taking the money out at that time would have greatly increased my income and I did not want to be in a higher tax bracket and pay more out in income tax from my 401(k).