Retiring Overseas (On Topic)

carlosqh

Believe it or not, I do think about what I will do when I retire. I have started doing research about cheaper places to live, and other countries like in Central America are catching my attention. Supposedly you can live on just a Social Security check in places like Costa Rico, Panama, and Belize among others. Throw in a Teamster's Pension check and I am thinking a beach house in a tropical climate without touching my investments. Has anybody else looked into this?
Hi, sorry for jumping in, but just ran into this thread while watching info about retiring abroad. I just set up www.andalusialifestyles.com, to help people retire in Southern Spain. I am from there but have lived in the US the last 9 years. I want to establish a new way to do these things, helping people with the consular process here in the US and then with my partners in Spain, who are lawyers, realtors, developers, tax advisers... The South of Spain, after the financial/real estate crisis, is as cheap as many Latin American countries and, well, you are in Europe and health care is among the best in the world, and very affordable. Please, ask anything you want to know, no compromise.

rod

Retired 22 years
One of my brother in laws retired, sold EVERYTHING they had and moved to the Philippines. About a year later he had a massive heart attach and is now living back in the USA and has to deal with starting all over ----again---in bad health.

clean hairy

One of my brother in laws retired, sold EVERYTHING they had and moved to the Philippines. About a year later he had a massive heart attach and is now living back in the USA and has to deal with starting all over ----again---in bad health.
Would a person still be able to keep their Medicare if they were to retire to a U.S. Possesion, such as the virgin Islands?

rod

Retired 22 years
Would a person still be able to keep their Medicare if they were to retire to a U.S. Possesion, such as the virgin Islands?

You would have to contact Medicare for an official answer. I have a thick book they send me every year. I will see if there is anything about that in it. My "guess" is you would probably be covered.