Rules For Radios In Building?

looper804

Is it time to go home yet
At our centre some hater of the arts keeps sabotaging our radios, so now we are left to toil in silence.
Someone kept on stealing the power cord from my radio.I glued it in with gorilla glue and the stealing stopped.It's amazing how stealing is a cardinal sin but on a daily basis things keep disappearing from the package cars.Jackets,vests,hats and any personal items that aren't nailed down.

Cementups

Box Monkey
I used to have a radiop when I was preload. one day I crawled under the boxline in between the lines and found one ot he support beams had an outlet on it. I plugged in a long extension cord and ran it to where my trucks were and had the radio playing for our whole section of the boxline. I had one time where someone said something about it. a week later we went back to plugging it in and never heard a word again.

I think there is a problem with MP3 plyers soemtimes. One of our carwash people has her ipod in her eears all the time. I am really suprised that no one has said anything to her about it since it is a safety hazard

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
However, I was recently informed by a regional CHSP supervisor that my radio could ONLY operate on batteries. It's the first time anyone's ever mentioned this to me.
Sounds like a typical Safety Committee weenie who is just trying to justify his position by making up a "rule" to enforce. He is probably still frustrated at not getting to be a Hall Monitor in junior high, so he is taking it out on his coworkers now. Go ahead and placate him for a few days by using batteries...eventually he will go away and find someone else to bother, and you can plug your radio back in again.

I think there is a problem with MP3 plyers soemtimes. One of our carwash people has her ipod in her eears all the time. I am really suprised that no one has said anything to her about it since it is a safety hazard
They may have said something to her about it, but she couldn't hear them.

Mike Hawk

I have an ipod with headphones, I keep it on one ear so I can still hear people talk etc. One of our loaders uses those recording studio style headphones that go around your whole ear, on both ears. Usually have to throw a small at him to get his attention, our deaf loader can hear better than him when he is listening to his ipod.

feeder53

ADKtrails
Here at my full time job, We must have a permit to bring any personal property into this compound. This is due to the liability of many kinds.

LKLND3380

I'm a six-year, full-time 22.3 combo worker who spends 9 hours M-friend inside the center. During this time, I've been listening to my Sirius satellite boombox while I work. Everyone loves it, including management, fellow employees, etc.

However, I was recently informed by a regional CHSP supervisor that my radio could ONLY operate on batteries. It's the first time anyone's ever mentioned this to me. This boombox would need 8 "D" batteries which I'm sure it would burn through quite quickly as well as $$$ to replace them.

I couldn't find anything specific in the Teamsters contract, except that drivers are allowed to have transistor radios in their package cars. Are there any documented "official" rules about operating radios in the building, and why can UPS have computers plugged in all over the center but they require radios to operate from batteries? Thanks for any helpful info.

Battery power here as well... When I first started we had people using electricity but then new management came in and said "we were stealing power from UPS and needed to bring in battery radios."

LKLND3380

Do your bell bottoms get in the way too? Radios are so yesterday man, .....get with the times, everyone in our building uses MP3 players.

District Safety Supe said a big NO to Mp3 players with headphones for ANYONE in the preload... We are unable to be arware of changing situations or word of mouth directions...

UPS Lifer

Sounds like a typical Safety Committee weenie who is just trying to justify his position by making up a "rule" to enforce. He is probably still frustrated at not getting to be a Hall Monitor in junior high, so he is taking it out on his coworkers now. Go ahead and placate him for a few days by using batteries...eventually he will go away and find someone else to bother, and you can plug your radio back in again.

The power cords are not just a safety issue in the sense of a tripping hazard. There are fire or electrical code possible violations as well. This is a Ketter audit item.

Believe it or not - center offices are the areas that usually go into violation. If there are to many cords pugged into one outlet - that is a code violation.
Plant Engineering Department can give you specific details for your building.

As far as wearing headphones or any other equipment brought into the building - this is a district or region regulation with input from the Security and Human Resource Dept.

tieguy

Banned
Nope, has nothing at all to do with the cord being a trip hazard.
Yes, it is in writing, and has been for years. Ask your PE guy for a copy of the facility safety memo that deals with radios in operations areas.
People have been electrocuted by their own radios in our buildings, so now no radios plugged in.
Those are the rules, guys, live with them. What's the big deal, you get to listen to the radio, just get some batteries.

Ding .. ding...ding...we have a winner. poster is correct.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One of the many reasons my Hub failed the last Audit was because a Preloader had a corded radio set on top of a water fountain. Water and Electric Cords are not a good combination. This had been going on for years.

tourists24

You might think about trying one of these, I bet you can run all day on a charge, then recharge each night. It would pay for itself in a few months.
inflator.jpg

What exactly is this and where do you buy it?

dannyboy

From the promised LAND
Tie, and the anon poster are correct. There have been at least three persons killed because of the sweat and electric radios being plugged in. So only batteries it has been for many years. Nothing new, just not been enforced in many locations.

As for the dewalt, I used to carry one in the package car. STrapped it right under the diad holder, and the strap also went through the right hand rail, and the foot rail around the heater. Never moved from there.

Good for about 20+ hours on a single charge, I would recomend the 18 volt battery, 85 bucks at lowes, but it lasts and lasts, and has a 3 year warranty. If it goes dead before then, take it back for a new one.

It takes a beating and gives pretty good sound.

As for anything you listen to that you have in both ears, they are not allowed, as your hearing will be limited, and the loose cord can get caught in machinery. Sorry, that too is against safety rules at UPS. You might be able to use only one, in one ear, but the cord can not be loose. Check if it would be allowed.

I have seen drivers with one or both earbuds. To me, that would really be an issue, especially if involved in an accident.

d

Mike Hawk

I lost a few headphones to packages falling on the cord and breaking it.

Eliminates the slack cord safety hazard. If you are responsable about the volume of your headphones you can hear just fine with them on one ear.

Mike Hawk

Me too, but the slack sticking out cought the boxes. Im less worried about $12 headphones than I am about the headphone jack on my ipod.