Sarah Palin Says Independence Day Is For Remembering When Jesus Led The Revolution

wkmac

Clement had a lot of unorthodox beliefs so I wouldn't cite him as an example.

True, but for 1400 years the church view of him was as a rock star. When church agendas changed, Clement proved problematic and thus his removal from Vatican church martyrology in 1586'. Other churches however still hold him in high regard.

But as a Southern Baptist yourself, I can understand why you see Clement as problem. The first 300 years of what we know as christainity held vastly unorthodox views as opposed to today's standards. Many of those views now stand as orthodox only because men with power declared them so.

To the victors the spoils and thus we get orthodox history.

oldngray

nowhere special
True, but for 1400 years the church view of him was as a rock star. When church agendas changed, Clement proved problematic and thus his removal from Vatican church martyrology in 1586'. Other churches however still hold him in high regard.

But as a Southern Baptist yourself, I can understand why you see Clement as problem. The first 300 years of what we know as christainity held vastly unorthodox views as opposed to today's standards. Many of those views now stand as orthodox only because men with power declared them so.

To the victors the spoils and thus we get orthodox history.

No, Actually Southern Baptists are closer to the the early church beliefs than most. Clement was mostly gnostic which was always a heretical view. There were many early texts written and just because it was written at an early date does not mean it was widely accepted as orthodox.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Like I said love the sinner but hate the sin. They would be welcome but should expect criticism of their lifestyle.
You sure to go to a Baptist Church? I would venture gays would be welcome in an Episcopalian Church but certainly not a Baptist Church no matter how 'reformed' they claim to be

oldngray

nowhere special
You sure to go to a Baptist Church? I would venture gays would be welcome in an Episcopalian Church but certainly not a Baptist Church no matter how 'reformed' they claim to be

My retired pastor has a gay son. He would rather the son come to church even gay although he is against gay lifestyle. The important thing is to witness and preach the gospel. If that person comes under conviction from God that what he is doing is wrong that is between him and God. Without a doubt my church would allow no gay weddings or gay clergy but that is different from not wanting a gay person to be saved.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
My retired pastor has a gay son. He would rather the son come to church even gay although he is against gay lifestyle. The important thing is to witness and preach the gospel. If that person comes under conviction from God that what he is doing is wrong that is between him and God. Without a doubt my church would allow no gay weddings or gay clergy but that is different from not wanting a gay person to be saved.
I am very glad your church is more supportive than the ones here(no sarcasm)
It's not far removed from the Salem Witch Trial era here

wkmac

I am very glad your church is more supportive than the ones here(no sarcasm)
It's not far removed from the Salem Witch Trial era here

This is why I don't fear some christian theocracy coming to power. The vast majority of christians actually don't want it as a matter of practice. Because of the vast differences in denominations, non theists could just stay in the shadows and watch christians slaughter each other in defense of their own dogmas and doctrine as they attempt to dominate. In time, the field is cleared of christians by their own hands and non theists and non religionists can enjoy a very good life.

If christianity not to mention judaism and islam could ever kick the dogma of literalism to the curb, their ability to benefit humanity would far more easily manifest.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Incorrect. Jesus WAS a Caucasian. He was not a Negro or Asian. He was Semitic which is also Caucasian. He just wasn't a Nordic white Caucasian. He was brown/olive skinned. And he has been portrayed to look many ways (usually resembling the ethnic groups he is portrayed as representing) but he has also been portrayed accurately.

How convenient. Around here "brown/olive-skinned" people are called Blacks, Hispanics, and other minorities...certainly not Caucasians. And how the hell do you know he was "portrayed accurately"? Were you there? More flawed reasoning and faulty attempts to paint a picture of Jesus being someone just like you.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
perry-simmons-strong.jpg

Richard Simmons and Rick Perry are gay lovers? Here's "proof"...FOX-style.

oldngray

nowhere special
How convenient. Around here "brown/olive-skinned" people are called Blacks, Hispanics, and other minorities...certainly not Caucasians. And how the hell do you know he was "portrayed accurately"? Were you there? More flawed reasoning and faulty attempts to paint a picture of Jesus being someone just like you.

How is it flawed reasoning? Race is genetics, not just skin color. Are you trying to claim Jesus was not Semitic (Jew)? What race would you call that?

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
How is it flawed reasoning? Race is genetics, not just skin color. Are you trying to claim Jesus was not Semitic (Jew)? What race would you call that?

I'd call it another pathetic attempt to portray Jesus as a Caucasian by any means possible. I have reliable evidence he looked like George Jefferson.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
So you admit you are wrong and can't support your claims.

How are you supporting your claims? Race is both genetics and the eye of the beholder. I have several friends who are half-black and half white, but society dictates they identify as black because of their skin color.
The point was that if a brown/black/olive-skinned Jesus showed-up, that most of the Right Wing crowd would deny Him and say that He was a fake. I suspect that is exactly what would happen. Just like Santa Claus, Jesus is white, and belongs to white people. "You people" crack me up.

oldngray

nowhere special
How are you supporting your claims? Race is both genetics and the eye of the beholder. I have several friends who are half-black and half white, but society dictates they identify as black because of their skin color.
The point was that if a brown/black/olive-skinned Jesus showed-up, that most of the Right Wing crowd would deny Him and say that He was a fake. I suspect that is exactly what would happen. Just like Santa Claus, Jesus is white, and belongs to white people. "You people" crack me up.

Negative. Race is genetics. Eye of the beholder is irrelevant. And as usual you are also incorrect with your Right Wing Crowd claims.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Negative. Race is genetics. Eye of the beholder is irrelevant. And as usual you are also incorrect with your Right Wing Crowd claims.

Science says race is genetics, but society says race is determined by environment. The dominant white culture says Jesus is white, because it suits their needs and desires. Ask some of your friends who are mixed race (Hafu, Happa, whatever) how they identify and how white culture forces them to be something they might not really be.
I'll stand by my statement that if a black or brown Jesus dropped-in tomorrow, that most of you evangelical types would be filling your pants.