Satellite Routes??

whiskey

This talk of Satellite routes is very intersesting. I've never heard a word about them as I live in a large metropolitan area. A short 50 miles however the area becomes very rural.

I'm very interested in the logistics of these routes, and I'm confused about some things. So can you anwser a few of my "stupid" questions?

Where are the package cars stored? From what I've read of "Sat RTES" it appears the employee drives his car to an area where he gets a UPS vehicle and then a feeder is driven to this location. At this time the drivers load their own truck?

Does this happen in some random parking lot, or is there a facility that UPS owns that the package cars are stored in??
It's all Greek to me to!

Can someone please enlighten me here? When I first learned of SAT RTES, I pictured driving my car to a parking lot where my package car would be kept over night. Then a feeder would drive to this parking lot and 4 drivers would load their truck in the parking lot. Then all 4 drivers would return to the lot with their PU volume and the feeder would be on its way and the trucks are left in the parking lot for the night??? Or do I take the truck home with me once its empty? I'm guessing this is a long-shot!

Is this how it works?. Can someone please explain what I'm missing here??

T-Bone

A question to any satellite drivers:

Is it true that you cannot file 9.5 grievances and you can't submit an 8hr. request? So the company can pretty much dispatch you with an 11 or 12 hour planned-day as long as they like?
I've been told by management that that is the way it is. Doesn't seem fair. Almost like satellite drivers are under a different contract (or none for that matter).

brownrodster

Is it true that you cannot file 9.5 grievances and you can't submit an 8hr. request? So the company can pretty much dispatch you with an 11 or 12 hour planned-day as long as they like?.

Fortunately for the satellite driver, there is no help. Thus, a 12 hour plan day might end up in a lot of missed packages. I think that might keep the plan more reasonable.

We have 1 truck that drives very far away with one of those small trailers. There is zero chance of him getting any help.

satellitedriver

Is it true that you cannot file 9.5 grievances and you can't submit an 8hr.
request? So the company can pretty much dispatch you with an 11 or 12 hour planned-day as long as they like?
I've been told by management that that is the way it is. Doesn't seem fair. Almost like satellite drivers are under a different contract (or none for that matter).
Under the contract in Texas, any driver not just a satellite, that bids on an extended route ( meaning driving over 150 miles and being designated as an extended) has lost all rights to file a 9.5 grievance under the teamster contract. A union rep was present when this PM announcement was made and he agreed.
The "logic" being, and as explained as such, that a driver bid on an extended route and should expect to work long hours.
The key is that the route has been "designated", as an extended route.
I have been a solo satellite driver for 14yrs. The last 5yrs I have averaged 9.5 to 10hr days.
Now that economy is in a downturn, I average 10 to 11hr days.
I have to call in and get help at least 3 days a week to keep within compliance with DOT hrs.
Sorry, I am starting to rant, but this is the new cost saving UPS that I deal with now.

Diego

Do not tell my sup extended areas here have same rights as any driver. I get my 8 hour requests, and usually if a trend of long hours happens I can start talking about filing and usually will pull me down a little. But, with economy I have noticed UPS is back to the old ways. Not worried about over 9.5 only worried if your going over 12 hours. I worked 58 hours one week been awhile since had a check like that, money in the bank. I like to keep it at 45 to 48 hours.

Dustyroads

Maybe things are different in Texas, but in our district, drivers in "rural" areas have all of the same rights in the contract as "metro" drivers. There is no distinction in the National Master Agreement. In fact, as luck has it, the rural drivers in our center probably have lower dispatch times than those in the city.