Seniority date and vacation pay problems

Neonell17

Hoping someone can help verify some info for me. I can't seem to figure it out or get a straight answer from guys at work. I was originally a seasonal driver, worked Oct 2015 - January 2016, then was laid off but I was hired Full-time Feb 12th 2016. They have my seniority date as Feb 12, 2016 but after reading the teamsters agreement, I thought I read that if you work seasonally and then are hired full time with 60 days of being laid off then you get to keep your date of hire from October. Can anyone verify that for me or did I misunderstand?

My next issue is Vacation time. I was hired full time Feb 2016, In February of 2017 my boss told me I had a week of vacation that I needed to use before the reset in May so I took it and they did pay me. However come May 1st of this year they never gave me another vacation. Shouldn't I have gotten another week for the contracted year? They did reset my opd and oth time, just not Vaca.

Any info I could get would be very appreciated!

UPS Preloader

Hoping someone can help verify some info for me. I can't seem to figure it out or get a straight answer from guys at work. I was originally a seasonal driver, worked Oct 2015 - January 2016, then was laid off but I was hired Full-time Feb 12th 2016. They have my seniority date as Feb 12, 2016 but after reading the teamsters agreement, I thought I read that if you work seasonally and then are hired full time with 60 days of being laid off then you get to keep your date of hire from October. Can anyone verify that for me or did I misunderstand?

My next issue is Vacation time. I was hired full time Feb 2016, In February of 2017 my boss told me I had a week of vacation that I needed to use before the reset in May so I took it and they did pay me. However come May 1st of this year they never gave me another vacation. Shouldn't I have gotten another week for the contracted year? They did reset my opd and oth time, just not Vaca.

Any info I could get would be very appreciated!

When you were called back in February, did you come back as a driver or did you cross classification and get called back as a pre-loader

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
I think you have to work both summer and Christmas peak and then be rehired within 60 days, I do not think Christmas peak only qualifies

UPS Preloader

If you were hired on as a driver for peak and later called back as a driver in February, your start date should go back to October.

Employees hired for temporary job openings in the Package Classification from October 15 through the first two (2) full weeks of January and in the Feeder Classification from October 15 through the first two (2) weeks of January will not accrue seniority during that period and such job openings shall not be posted for bid during that period. If returned to work within sixty (60) days after that period, they shall be placed on the seniority list with credit back to their employment dates, providing they have met all other requirements for seniority.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
Talk to your business agent. I was a seasonal driver for xmas and they backdated me to October.

Neonell17

I worked Oct-
I think you have to work both summer and Christmas peak and then be rehired within 60 days, I do not think Christmas peak only qualifies

I actually did. I worked Oct 2014-Jan 2015, was off until the end of May, then worked May 2015- Sept 2015, got called back Oct 2015- Jan 2016 and then hired full time in February of 2016

Neonell17

If you were hired on as a driver for peak and later called back as a driver in February, your start date should go back to October.

Employees hired for temporary job openings in the Package Classification from October 15 through the first two (2) full weeks of January and in the Feeder Classification from October 15 through the first two (2) weeks of January will not accrue seniority during that period and such job openings shall not be posted for bid during that period. If returned to work within sixty (60) days after that period, they shall be placed on the seniority list with credit back to their employment dates, providing they have met all other requirements for seniority.

This is exactly what I read and how I interpreted it too. Just want to make sure before I go to my boss about it. I actually covered the summer that year too so it may go all the way back to the end of May.

Scottyhawk

What is it? A brown box. Duh
It must be set by local supplement then, because the wording under ours is as follows:
  1. If an employee is hired as a summer replacement worker and works the period between May 10th and September 30th and in addition works the free period from October 15th thru January 10th the following shall apply: Employees who have worked these two consecutive free periods and are recalled prior to April 1st will gain seniority. Those employees who are hired after April 1st shall be considered a newly hired employee. Such employees cannot be hired a second time as a vacation replacement worker or work in a second free period.

Neonell17

Just wanted to update this, I did go to my boss and my seniority date was moved back to give me credit when I was a seasonal cover driver. Thanks for the help!

Griffin1820

File! File! File!

Is this in the master? I assume package classification doesnt include preloaders?