shift transfer?

toddjb25

Been a loader at the addison hub for over 6yrs and want to switch to a different shift. I work the sunrise shift but want one of the night shifts. I am in school and want to take up a second job with early hours so late nights would work best for me at UPS.

Anyone know how to go about a shift transfer?

Thanks

Nimnim

The Nim
At my hub they put up a bid sheet every so often for changing shifts, Last one was up a few weeks ago so I wouldn't expect another one for probably 6 months or so. Check to see if there's a bid sheet, if there isn't try talking to FTers and work your way up to the sort manager until someone knows who to talk to about it.

As per the NMA Article 22 Section 4 last paragraph.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a
shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year.
The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift
for at least six (6) months.

Random_Facts

Seeing as you have 6 years in, you will be near the top of the list when it comes to that famous 'seniority' picking list. I would think all you would need to do, is talk to your head supervisor. than to human resources to make it final. I'm sure someone on this site would have a better quality of answer. but that's what I would do. wish you the best of luck!

menotyou

bella amicizia
Write a letter to your center manager requesting the transfer. You should make a formal request. If there is an opening, it should be o.k. We don't bid part-time in my building. Not even extra work.

JonFrum

If you are in Local 705, the NMA doesn't apply to you. But this almost identical language from Local 705's Contract does:

ARTICLE 22. PART-TIME EMPLOYEES
Section 4.
Part-time employees shall be given the opportunity to fill full-time jobs before hiring from the outside on a six-for-one basis [six (6) part-time to every one (1) outside hire].

The following shall be incorporated into the job selection procedures in this Agreement.

The Employer shall fill all vacancies and permanent new jobs for part-time employees from the part-time selection list in all months except November and December.

Part-time employees with seniority shall have the right to place their name on the list of employees waiting to be moved to a preferred job within their building. Such preferred jobs shall include, but not be limited to: Preload, Sorter, Clerical, Irregular Train, Designated Responder, Carwasher, Loader and Unloader. Employees do not have the right to select any specific unit, load or workstation unless a prior past practice has been established.

A maximum of twenty-five percent (25%) of the employees on a shift shall be allowed to change shifts in any one (1) calendar year. The employee obtaining the new position shall remain on that shift for at least six (6) months.